People You Dislike For No Proper Reason

On 04/05/2022 at 09:32, Shandon Par said:

Ross Kemp. Always find him to be a self-obsessed creep. Backed up the other day when a podcast I was listening to featured John Alford. He was the baby-faced darling of the tv soap/tabloids of the late 90s/early 2000s and was caught in a fake sheikh tabloid sting. The sting came about as Ross Kemp took a dislike to him getting more attention than him at an awards show and looked down his nose at the London’s Burning stars (believing it inferior to his more high-brow Eastenders).

Kemp’s girlfriend was Rebecca Brooks. She agreed to “get” Alford so set up the sting. Alford was basically kidnapped into a hotel room and had to phone his phone contacts to ask about getting hold of drugs. He was clean-living and didn’t know anyone and was at his wits end trying to get out this hotel room. This became him being “exposed” as a celebrity drugs fixer and his career was over. All thanks to Ross Kemp being and insecure wee p***k.

No worries, Brookesy battered him anyway IIRC.

Anyway, this fucking c**t.

undefined

That lad who just did well for the UK at Eurovision.

Now, he may well be a genuinely nice person, as Graham Norton was so keen to tell us, but anyone so exuberantly cheerful most likely drops the rictus grin when they're alone and takes out their suppressed rage on small animals.

I'm not saying it's likely that he brutally molests badgers on his down time, but don't be surprised if you see an expose about it in the years ahead.

13 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

No Magee, look at the thread title.

I think we call say, that nobody does anymore.  This is why I go for Ben Elton.

Never really thought he was that fun or offensive until I listened to podcast last week with him being interviewed.

He came over a truly p***k of a man. 

13 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I think we call say, that nobody does anymore.  This is why I go for Ben Elton.

Never really thought he was that fun or offensive until I listened to podcast last week with him being interviewed.

He came over a truly p***k of a man. 

I've never liked him, even as a stand up comic in the 80s. 

He used to be great at writing sitcoms but aside from that, he's a rocket.

I've heard that some of his novels are good.

Other than that, I remember hearing that he wasn't keen on Margaret Thatcher. Can anyone confirm?

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

This I completely agree with, but by f**k he like to tell folk he is great, which doesn't come over very good.

BTW the podcast was James O'Brien dated Aug '19 - he more or less was very argumentative  and at one point told him to delete a part of the interview, which James, said no. 

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've heard that some of his novels are good.

Other than that, I remember hearing that he wasn't keen on Margaret Thatcher. Can anyone confirm?

He wasn't. 

Much of his 80s stand up was about Thatcher. Yet he still managed to come across as a tool. 

11 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

He wasn't. 

Much of his 80s stand up was about Thatcher. Yet he still managed to come across as a tool. 

Aye, I remember  :P

A lot of the older folk complaining about alternative comedy not being funny were pretty much basing their opinion on seeing Ben Elton on the telly IMO.

26 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, I remember  :P

A lot of the older folk complaining about alternative comedy not being funny were pretty much basing their opinion on seeing Ben Elton on the telly IMO.

Ben Elton says Margaret Thatcher had principles – as he takes aim at Boris Johnson and Donald Trump on tour to save the nation

43 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

“Used to be” being the operative phrase. “The Wright Way” was basically “When the Whistle Blows” from “Extras” but bafflingly real. Shown in the 2010s, it relentlessly mocked up-to-date topics like health and safety gawn mad and women not knowing how to properly load dishwashers, and it featured such gags as a dodgy tap making someone look like he’d pished himself (lifted from Elton’s 80s routine) and someone looking like they were shagging an air dryer.

I remember when this *thing* was shown, people were debating whether it would be revealed to be a hoax or some incredibly meta commentary on ancient sitcoms. But no. This was Elton attempting a modern TV comedy.

Enjoy.

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Inevitable, isn't it?

If he hasn't already, I look forward to Jello Biafra highlighting the good points of Ronald Reagan's term in office.

6 minutes ago, Antlion said:

“Used to be” being the operative phrase. “The Wright Way” was basically “When the Whistle Blows” from “Extras” but bafflingly real. Shown in the 2010s, it relentlessly mocked up-to-date topics like health and safety gawn mad and women not knowing how to properly load dishwashers, and it featured such gags as a dodgy tap making someone look like he’d pished himself (lifted from Elton’s 80s routine) and someone looking like they were shagging an air dryer.

I remember when this *thing* was shown, people were debating whether it would be revealed to be a hoax or some incredibly meta commentary on ancient sitcoms. But no. This was Elton attempting a modern TV comedy.

Enjoy.

He's very hit-and-miss with sitcom writing - at the time, I remember The Thin Blue Line being one of the worst things I'd ever seen - but Upstart Crow was excellent IMO. He's been a writer on more than enough classic shows that he deserves to get away with the shite.

David Haig in both The Wright Way and The Thin Blue Line, and the execrable reboot of Yes Minister, off the top of my head. He really seems to be the go-to guy for terrible attempts at comedy.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

He's very hit-and-miss with sitcom writing - at the time, I remember The Thin Blue Line being one of the worst things I'd ever seen - but Upstart Crow was excellent IMO. He's been a writer on more than enough classic shows that he deserves to get away with the shite.

David Haig in both The Wright Way and The Thin Blue Line, and the execrable reboot of Yes Minister, off the top of my head. He really seems to be the go-to guy for terrible attempts at comedy.

Only saw a bit of “Upstart Crow” but I thought it was a poor man’s Blackadder (and that everyone was terrible except David Mitchell and Mark Heap). I might have been unfair on just a few bits of a few episodes, so might give it a go if it returns or is shown again.

David Haig is a weird one. I remember “The Thin Blue Line” and he was ok is small doses - when you were supposed to be laughing at how over the top he was. He can’t carry a show on an OTT clown performance, though (and to be fair, no one could have made “The Wright Way” work; it was an exercise in humiliation for all involved).

Just now, Antlion said:

Only saw a bit of “Upstart Crow” but I thought it was a poor man’s Blackadder (and that everyone was terrible except David Mitchell and Mark Heap). I might have been unfair on just a few bits of a few episodes, so might give it a go if it returns or is shown again.

Yeah, same here, but it grew on me. Took me a few episodes to get into the mindset, but then it all clicked and I thought it was great.

It's very much an attempt to pull off another Blackadder, and it was never going to be that good, but I found it most agreeable in the end.

On 04/05/2022 at 09:32, Shandon Par said:

Ross Kemp. Always find him to be a self-obsessed creep. Backed up the other day when a podcast I was listening to featured John Alford. He was the baby-faced darling of the tv soap/tabloids of the late 90s/early 2000s and was caught in a fake sheikh tabloid sting. The sting came about as Ross Kemp took a dislike to him getting more attention than him at an awards show and looked down his nose at the London’s Burning stars (believing it inferior to his more high-brow Eastenders).

Kemp’s girlfriend was Rebecca Brooks. She agreed to “get” Alford so set up the sting. Alford was basically kidnapped into a hotel room and had to phone his phone contacts to ask about getting hold of drugs. He was clean-living and didn’t know anyone and was at his wits end trying to get out this hotel room. This became him being “exposed” as a celebrity drugs fixer and his career was over. All thanks to Ross Kemp being and insecure wee p***k.

John Alford's face annoyed me any time I saw a trailer for London's Burning. Annoyed me to the point of visceral hatred. So this tale has given me a newfound respect and admiration for Kemp.