Ross County vs St Johnstone - 10/08/14

I think a Brown, Davidson, Millar combination in the middle would be perfect really, especially since we look like we'll be back to one up front the majority of the time this season

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A long but great day out on the Barossa bus today.

We started slowly and Ross County put us under significant pressure during spells, but I think our general play merited the victory. Not one of the vintage St. Johnstone displays, but a very reassuring and pleasing one to watch (especially considering it was the first match of the season).

Special mentions to Alan Mannus, Tam Scobbie, Chris Millar, Michael O'Halloran, Scott Brown, Steven MacLean and Mad Capsule who is a very sound lad.

Brown behind Davidson and another would be pretty good, I'd have to say.

I don't think Brown played his best, if I'm being really picky, but then I instantly expected something really good from him from the moment I saw him pick up the ball. Some of his raking balls fell short, for instance, and the space he was allowed at the back of midfield helped his cause a lot. But I'm being picky: he's a terrific prospect.

I'm just disappointed that Kiss didn't get in his face enough. Quinn might have if the roles were reversed.

Wouldn't matter if you get in his face he'd still demand the ball and take whoever it was on in a physical battle. He's gonna become a cult hero this season just with his combative style and ability.

Wouldn't matter if you get in his face he'd still demand the ball and take whoever it was on in a physical battle. He's gonna become a cult hero this season just with his combative style and ability.

The point being that if he had someone marking him he wouldn't have have been able to dictate St Johnstone's play anywhere near as much.

The point being that if he had someone marking him he wouldn't have have been able to dictate St Johnstone's play anywhere near as much.

Yeah I get that. Thing is he's still essentially and unknown quantity in the league and teams won't know how to deal with him. For one so young to dictate play so easily is really testament to how good he is/can be.

Yeah I get that. Thing is he's still essentially and unknown quantity in the league and teams won't know how to deal with him. For one so young to dictate play so easily is really testament to how good he is/can be.

Paul Lawson wasn't doing that until his mid-20s.

I'm just disappointed that Kiss didn't get in his face enough. Quinn might have if the roles were reversed.

Would you have swapped them, BB? Said to my son at the start of the game that I was slightly surprised they werent reversed. Saying that, Quinn did some really good defensive work today from that position, just his distribution was not the best.

Well that was just dandy. 3 points away from home 1st game of the season, we score TWO ( amazingly as we have no Stevie Mayicon_wink.gif ) Team played well, tactics pretty good. Keeper( with a couple of OUTSTANDING saves) and back 4 all played very well. McLean as usual works his socks of and gets a goal his play merited. Midfielders Brown, O'Halloran and MCDONALD were all excellent. Miller was great in parts but got caught too many times in possesion for me and Spoony was a bit below what I would have likd. Ross County were dogged but I think we just deserved the points and the Ref Mr Clancy was ****ing awful ( for both sides at times)

All in all a great start and one that might have the soothesayers of doom choking on their ovaltine.

Another season of Armageddon beckons..

COYS.. icon_razz.gif

Just back in from the town that time forgot

Can any of the highland Saints confirm what the deal is with 3G up there as it was impossible to upload any of the post game reaction onto the club facebook page after the game?

Soaked to the skin, so much for summer football.

Great performance from Saints, Allan Mannus was class today as County started well but it looks like its going to be another good season. We are certainly hitting the ground running.

On the whole I think a draw wouldn't have been harsh. But if you had to pick a winner St Johnstone were more deserving, mainly for the two excellent saves by Mannus. Not a disaster and we will get better as the season goes on, but a bit disappointing to lose the goals in the manner we did. St Johnstone looked far sharper and the fact they had four or five outstanding performers is the reason they won the match.

As for the 3G it depends on what network you have. Three have invested in their masts up here, EE also have 3G service but it is intermittent. The rest have not invested in their masts so there is no 3G service.

A long but great day out on the Barossa bus today.

We started slowly and Ross County put us under significant pressure during spells, but I think our general play merited the victory. Not one of the vintage St. Johnstone displays, but a very reassuring and pleasing one to watch (especially considering it was the first match of the season).

Special mentions to Alan Mannus, Tam Scobbie, Chris Millar, Michael O'Halloran, Scott Brown, Steven MacLean and Mad Capsule who is a very sound lad.

Try doing 25 hours on a bus to Switzerland and 24 hours back !

You reckon if we were to have a word with UEFA about it they would give us the 3 points?!

Aye #justiceforthestaggies

Seriously tho it was hard to see who was tipping the ball over the bar in a few of those highlights. Either that or I've become colourblind overnight

The only negative for me in Brown's performance yesterday was he went to ground in the lead-up to County's goal, as he did at home to Spartak Trnava for their second. It's a shame that maybe the only mistake he made in the whole match happened in that sequence of play as other than that, he was very good again, especially in the periods where we were in the ascendency. His range of passing adds something completely different to our midfield and not even sure Morris had the ability to play passes over the distances he does. Couldn't really criticise any of our players yesterday. Thought Croft was going to have one of those games that he struggles to get up to speed in but he was crucial in the closing minutes when we were trying to keep the ball up the County end.

Didn't have the best view of it maybe but surprised nobody has mentioned the Dreesen tackle on MacLean in the first half? If referees want players to remain in control when they tackle, can Kevin Clancy really claim the Belgian was? As I say, I maybe didn't have the best view but it looked a shocker to me. On the Jervis debate, thought he looked pretty poor and would have been more concerned if Arquin had been leading the line, he again looked a decent player. Carey had a good game as well and was happy to see him shifted off the left, even if it was de Leeuw coming on. County looked miles ahead of where they were when we played them last August.

Didn't have the best view of it maybe but surprised nobody has mentioned the Dreesen tackle on MacLean in the first half? If referees want players to remain in control when they tackle, can Kevin Clancy really claim the Belgian was?

He didn't leap into the challenge but slid in from a distance, the studs went up but they went up late, and he took the ball at the same time as the player. I thought it merited a yellow.

Dreesen looks a good find by Adams, but he has the tendency to use his hands too much in pulling jerseys and hands in his opponent's face. Attackers who have the tendency to fall down at the slightest touch will exploit this as an opportunity to gain an advantage.

Archived