Sportsound Watch

Think I must've turned on towards the end of the discussion but the backtracking from Rae was tremendous. You could hear he realised he was wrong and started getting more and more quiet.

Edited by afca32

4 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

What the utter f**k. Trying to discuss anything with Alex Rae is like trying to rationalise with a sixteen month old. Well done again to Tom English.

Usually Thomas just shouts the same thing over and over again, while not accepting any view but is own. I wished I'd listened now so that I could've heard his words of wisdom.

Usually Thomas just shouts the same thing over and over again, while not accepting any view but is own. I wished I'd listened now so that I could've heard his words of wisdom.

Alex Rae :lol: 
Slavering moron.

Slavering to his audience though.

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

"Alex, objectively looking at where Celtic are now, do they need a strong Rangers* ?"

---dramatic pause---

"Probably not"

"Do Aberdeen need a strong Rangers*?

"Probably not"

"Do Hibernian?"

Brilliant, will listen again when sober.

That was roughly the point were something in his thick brain snapped and his inner ned (only poorly disguised beforehand in fairness) came crying out.

I've not listened to it yet, but will.do.

The previous night, Barry Ferguson got asked the old one about whether Scottish football needed  a strong Rangers.  He said that of course it did, but was genuinely unable to communicate why anybody other than Rangers needed a strong Rangers.

A pundit then said we needed all the big clubs to play to their potential.  This was neither challenged or supported.  I find it the most baffling view of sport.  In this context, it's basically a call for the re-establishment of the hideous duopoly.

I love Tom English.  To be fair though, the BBC need to set him a stronger challenge than a list of thick ex-Sevco muppets.  Rae was just the latest in a long line of those idiots to make a severe arse of himself.  I loved the bit where Rae was spouting crap about there being no interest in Scottish football since Sevco's demise:

Rae:  I remember when I was playing in England bring other players up to see the games.

English: What games Alex?

Rae: Old Firm games.

English: Any other games?

Rae: Eh?

English: You realise there are teams other than Celtic and Rangers?

Rae: *Silence

Incidentally, Fat Sally was spouting the same pish on Talksport yesterday morning.  Utter weapons the lot of them.

9 hours ago, bennett said:

You wouldnae ken wisdom if it ran up and booted you in the baws.

8 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

"Alex, objectively looking at where Celtic are now, do they need a strong Rangers* ?"

---dramatic pause---

"Probably not"

"Do Aberdeen need a strong Rangers*?

"Probably not"

"Do Hibernian?"

Brilliant, will listen again when sober.

Just heard it.

The bit above was the highlight. 

I actually thought though that in some ways, English let Rae off lightly. 

I don't even accept the bit he conceded about Scottish football being "better off" with a strong Rangers as opposed to "needing" such a thing.  I think it's worse off with the duopoly. 

I also thought Rae should have been required to support his claim about plummeting viewing figures and to point out the damage he thinks this might do, not just to Aberdeen or Hibs, but to Forfar and Annan Athletic too.

The problem people like Rae and Souness have is that they genuinely, genuinely believe that Scottish football and the OF are synonymous.  The idea that for so many, this one horse title race is precisely AS interesting as the two horse one ie. not at all, absolutely escapes them.  They feel that what they say is so self-evidently true that they simply cannot countenance, let alone counter a challenge.  At least Rae, unlike Souness, faced one and foundered.  Again though, I'd have liked English to have hounded Rae more on his mumbling about "when it comes to negotiating deals", because he would once more have had no command of facts and figures.

Overall, good to see Rae sorted out, but I want to see the dismantling of such nonsense being more comprehensive, because it's very easily destroyed.

28 minutes ago, Swello said:

The problem for this age-old classic is that we've now got actual evidence  that the strength of Rangers has little bearing on the performance of everyone else (or the enjoyment of supporters) and so pundits who churn out this cliche should be challenged when they say it.

Rangers disappeared from the the top league and almost every club could point to some achievement or highlight when they were away. Cups and high league finishes were spread around like never before and a celtic procession to winning the league each year doesn't feel much different to a Rangers-or-Celtic procession to the league every year when your club never has any prospect of being involved.  

The truth is that Rangers need a strong Rangers and with exception of their besties across the city, no-one else gives a f**k.

Spot on.

It was always nonsense of course, but you're right.  Now we can prove that it's nonsense because of what happened when Rangers were out of the top flight picture.

Souness' line about Scottish football being damaged beyond belief, bears literally no scrutiny, none at all.  Rae said he'd offered facts but could only point to bringing English pals up for the odd OF game.

It's amazing that such a ludicrously flimsy and utterly discredited outlook is proving so resilient.  The problem is that we keep affording the thick, the prejudiced and the ill informed a platform.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

That was enjoyable from English last night.

These ex rangers men professing to have the best interests of Scottish football at heart when they demand rangers be winning titles again is utterly laughable. Never forget these are two clubs who would be out the door within 3 seconds flat if they got a sniff of England.

I’ve said it before though, if what you want from Scottish football as a supporter is a large broadcast deal then yeah, a return to the duopoly probably is best.

And this is what annoys me in this debate, no one ever asks this question: what do the supporters actually want from Scottish football?

If it’s elite level football week in week out we wouldn’t be here, we’d be ploughing our money into sky and watching souness w**k over English football week in week out.