Sportsound Watch

Derek's tic is "I tell you what".
Though I like him, he is equally enthusiastic no matter what game he gets sent to, and again, no matter what game he's at, he actually knows something about both teams.  I tell you what, I'd rather listen to him over his more eloquent colleagues who take the huff if not at a Premiership game, every day of the week.

I've come round to Derek 'Bulldog in a China Shop' Ferguson. He's alright.

Got into the car about five after the game today. Not one mention of the championship until 5 30 when Richard Gordon quickly ran through the results. Then Off the Ball starts with Stuart Cosgrove saying that the Championship is the best division only for Cowan to immediately steer him away from it and not another mention. Dreadful. They really don't have a clue when it comes to anything outside the top few teams.

2 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Got into the car about five after the game today. Not one mention of the championship until 5 30 when Richard Gordon quickly ran through the results. Then Off the Ball starts with Stuart Cosgrove saying that the Championship is the best division only for Cowan to immediately steer him away from it and not another mention. Dreadful. They really don't have a clue when it comes to anything outside the top few teams.

That requires them to do some RESEARCH and ANALYSIS.

Anyone know what kind of money Bonner P, Ferguson B, Ferguson D, Miller W et al are paid for their wonderful insights?

1 minute ago, Nowhereman said:

Off the Ball starts too early. Today for example, there was almost no run down of what had happened outside of the top division, and even then they didn't have time to talk much about Hibs v Dundee, or hear from half the managers. Trying to round up 20 or so games in what basically amounts to half an hour is impossible, especially when their interviewers can't keep an interview short and to the point, instead letting guys like Coyle ramble on as long as they want.

I find it hard to get annoyed by Bonner when they also employ rodents like Sutherland and McLaughlin.

Off the Ball starts too early. Today for example, there was almost no run down of what had happened outside of the top division, and even then they didn't have time to talk much about Hibs v Dundee, or hear from half the managers. Trying to round up 20 or so games in what basically amounts to half an hour is impossible, especially when their interviewers can't keep an interview short and to the point, instead letting guys like Coyle ramble on as long as they want.

I find it hard to get annoyed by Bonner when they also employ rodents like Sutherland and McLaughlin.

Did you hear the interview with Scott Brown? I understand that Celtic's long unbeaten run is a story, but the questions asked of Brown were like something a starstruck wee schoolboy would ask. It added nothing to that story. Just garbage journalism.

At 4.50pm it should just be a straight run around the grounds with final reports for each game.

Tuned in today and most weeks. Lack of Championship coverage as stated by a few on this thread is poor never chat about that league either before KO or in the half an hour or so after full time. Tam McManus the best on Open All Mics by a mile. Knowledge of most teams even the smaller ones pretty good and has a bit of banter too. Also like Derek Ferguson yes hes not Shakespeare but at least sounds genuinely happy to be at a game and getting paid for it which is not a bad gig.

Tuned in today and most weeks. Lack of Championship coverage as stated by a few on this thread is poor never chat about that league either before KO or in the half an hour or so after full time. Tam McManus the best on Open All Mics by a mile. Knowledge of most teams even the smaller ones pretty good and has a bit of banter too. Also like Derek Ferguson yes hes not Shakespeare but at least sounds genuinely happy to be at a game and getting paid for it which is not a bad gig.

Agree with most of that. If also say that there's no need to go to the last 15 minutes of the commentary game on FM after Off the Ball, with the possible exception of it being a very close, tense finale. The last 2 weeks listening from 2 o'clock has meant commentary of the game already on 810 MW then chat about that game, leaving only 15-20 minutes to discuss the rest of the games. Get the Open All Mikes reporters giving out team lines or interviews with the managers instead please. Then after the games, a wee round up at full time but after 5 o'clock when most folk are back in their cars/busses get a proper round up of the Premiership games and at least one or two Championship games (They even used to have a "featured game" in Leagues One and Two with a reporter at a game usually including the league leaders or a team with a new manager or whatever) rather than talking about Rangers or Celtic, or even worse, spending about 15 mins talking about the lunchtime game they've already talked about and whose fans won't actually be listening any more! Used to always enjoy the Highland League round up and if they could do the Lowland League as well that would be imcredible (albeit now we are in fantasy land). Have the round up/interviews etc on until 6 (or just before, with a news and other sport round up - rugby, golf, whatever) then do Off the Ball after the news. That would also allow Stuart, Tam and their guests to watch the entire game they are at rather than have Tam leave Fir Park midway through the second half or Andy Barrowman miss three goals like yesterday. I don't think any of that is too outrageous, expensive to do or challenging logistically either.

That requires them to do some RESEARCH and ANALYSIS.
Anyone know what kind of money Bonner P, Ferguson B, Ferguson D, Miller W et al are paid for their wonderful insights?

A pal of mine works for the BBC and they accidentally gave him the pay cheque of one of the OTB presenters and it was a pretty penny.

I like Tam McManus for these reasons too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was Willie Miller on Sunday saying that the lower 2 leagues should be regionalised to help them financially.

Has he any proof that the clubs (and fans) in the lower leagues actually want this?

For the middle-of-the-road and poorer teams, it would mean playing pretty much the same teams every single year, no thanks.

15 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was Willie Miller on Sunday saying that the lower 2 leagues should be regionalised to help them financially.

Has he any proof that the clubs (and fans) in the lower leagues actually want this?

For the middle-of-the-road and poorer teams, it would mean playing pretty much the same teams every single year, no thanks.

That'll be fine if they squeeze Stranraer into the North Section.

The likes of Ann Budge and Willie Miller who like to pontificate on what we should do with the lower leagues, about which they know nothing, need to shut the f**k up.

26 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

8 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

The likes of Ann Budge and Willie Miller who like to pontificate on what we should duo with the lower leagues, about which they know nothing, need to shut the f**k up.

It was Gordon Smith speaking about it, not God. That's the same Gordon Smith who chose George Burley to be Scotland manager cos he seemed like a nice guy. Useless.