Sportsound Watch

Absolutely.

How often have you seen sky use the tag line ‘a rivalry based on religion’ as a way to market it. They love it.

I suspect you’ll enjoy being a regular at Dumbarton much more tbh. I think it’ll surprise you.

What’s even more ridiculous about this is that vast majority of those attending these games or support the OF don’t even acknowledge, practice or believe in God. And those that do, as I know a few from my old church in Glasgow want to stamp out this bigotry once and for all. They are the few OF fans who have a zero tolerance approach. But not enough as they continue to show up and play a part in this garbage by spending their cash.

The hatred, violence and abuse stems not from people who truly practice. It is from people who couldn’t even tell you the names of the gospels or where Jesus was born. It’s a cultural virus that has spread for generations and we need rid of this uneducated nonsense.

This is something all respectful people no matter your belief or background should be backing the removal of. It’s horrendous for our society and needs cut out.

7 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

There's definitely an element of that. When I first got into football St Johnstone were in the top flight, Dunfermline and Livingstone joined them soon after so to me they are 'big clubs', whilst teams like Morton aren't. Prejudiced by who was in the top flight my first few seasons going to games.

One of my earlier memories of Scottish football was seeing Raith win a cup and play in Europe, so to me they’ve always seemed bigger than they probably are really.

The Jags were in most of my Panini sticker books at school as well so obviously that means we’re fucking massive.

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Reason or excuse?

I don't see why it should be seen as an excuse.

This seems to be a classic case of people mistrusting the powers that be, so there's clearly some ulterior motive behind the scheduling of the play-offs, despite it actually being a fair and logical system to use.

I didn't see any of the Scotland game but from most comments it was very poor. The chap who interviewed McLeish gave him such an easy ride, more or less answering his own questions. McLeish meanwhile kept wittering on about English football, mentioning teams like Rotherham and MK Dons without the least comment from his "questioner". Why are so called interviewers terrified of , not even so much contradicting, but at least hinting that it was a bad result or a poor performance ? Of course we all know the answer, its a boys club and you don't want to rock the boat. Just as Prince Charles must think he is the worlds wittiest man, so Scotland managers must believe they are doing a fine job. Such is the level of the Sportsound journalists.

Lets see what kind of reaction follows tomorrows defeat in Hungary because unless the personnel in that line up changes , that will most certainly be the outcome. I wont hold my breath though.

5 hours ago, The Master said:

I don't see why it should be seen as an excuse.

This seems to be a classic case of people mistrusting the powers that be, so there's clearly some ulterior motive behind the scheduling of the play-offs, despite it actually being a fair and logical system to use.

I'm actually pleased enough with the system.

Given that we had one up one down and stupid stadium criteria for about fifteen years, it's a huge improvement.  It is anomalous now though, considering that all the national divisions are again part of the same body.

I've absolutely no doubt that protectionism is behind the fact that the top flight side needs to negotiate just one round, while those from below face more.

As it is, I'll take it, but second bottom of the second or third tiers will not be advantaged in the same way and I think that the fact there's two more league games for top flight sides is convenient, rather than in itself, decisive.

Given that we had one up one down and stupid stadium criteria for about fifteen years, it's a huge improvement.  It is anomalous now though, considering that all the national divisions are again part of the same body.
I've absolutely no doubt that protectionism is behind the fact that the top flight side needs to negotiate just one round, while those from below face more.
As it is, I'll take it, but second bottom of the second or third tiers will not be advantaged in the same way and I think that the fact there's two more league games for top flight sides is convenient, rather than in itself, decisive.
Absolutely this.

And even if it does make it marginally more difficult for QOTS to gain top flight status it will also make it marginally more difficult to lose it

34 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And even if it does make it marginally more difficult for QOTS to gain top flight status it will also make it marginally more difficult to lose it

Indeed, but I'm honestly not seeing it particularly from a Queens viewpoint.  

In truth, I do think there's something questionable about 4th (essentially mid-table) getting a crack at promotion, even though we've got in that way twice and face an outside chance of doing so again this year.   I also think there's a certain logic in 3rd and 4th facing a longer route than that for the side finishing 2nd.  

I just don't for a moment buy the idea that the top flight club is straight into the final, simply on account of having played two extra league games.  I think it's come about in the name of the former SPL clubs making a welcome concession, but still wishing to stack it a bit, in a way that doesn't happen regarding movement between the other SPFL divisions.

I see on tonight's show they discussed Dundee United. Can someone who listened confirm whether someone made the baseless claim that Scottish football needs Dundee United in the Premiership and, if so, this went unchallenged as per usual?

Just now, Stu said:

I see on tonight's show they discussed Dundee United. Can someone who listened confirm whether someone made the baseless claim that Scottish football needs Dundee United in the Premiership and, if so, this went unchallenged as per usual?

Yes. Although that’s a guess as I wasn’t listening.

MT - here's my previous graphic with 2017-18's dates:

11th         2nd      3rd  4th

Sat 21 Apr    Prem #34    Cham #35    Cham #35

mid-week

Sat 28 Apr    Prem #35    Cham #36    Cham #36     Championship ends Sat 28 Apr

mid-week                             PO QF 1L

Sat 05 May    Prem #36                PO QF 2L

midw-eek     Prem #37    PO SF 1L    PO SF 1L

Sat 12 May    Prem #38    PO SF 2L    PO SF 2L     Premiership ends Sat 12 May

mid-week     PO Fn 1L    PO Fn 1L    PO Fn 1L

Sun 20 May    PO Fn 2L    PO Fn 2L    PO Fn 2L

What adjustments would you favour?

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

MT - here's my previous graphic with 2017-18's dates:

11th         2nd      3rd  4th

Sat 21 Apr    Prem #34    Cham #35    Cham #35

mid-week

Sat 28 Apr    Prem #35    Cham #36    Cham #36     Championship ends Sat 28 Apr

mid-week                             PO QF 1L

Sat 05 May    Prem #36                PO QF 2L

midw-eek     Prem #37    PO SF 1L    PO SF 1L

Sat 12 May    Prem #38    PO SF 2L    PO SF 2L     Premiership ends Sat 12 May

mid-week     PO Fn 1L    PO Fn 1L    PO Fn 1L

Sun 20 May    PO Fn 2L    PO Fn 2L    PO Fn 2L

What adjustments would you favour?

I'm not particularly advocating any, although I think the additional fixtures could probably be absorbed with sufficient will.

I'm just challenging the idea that the difference is in place simply to allay fixture congestion.  I think it's due to remnants of top flight self preservation.

Do you honestly not think such sentiment has played a part in structuring top flight play-offs at all?

Can anyone translate what Willie Miller was wittering on about when he mentioning the Nations League?

He seemed to jump between thinking it's some diddy competition we don't have to take seriously, and it being a route to Pot 3 for the 2022 qualifiers. 

Indeed, but I'm honestly not seeing it particularly from a Queens viewpoint.  

The point isn’t specific to Queens it’s a more general one.

We’ve only had four cycles of this format but Hibs and Hamilton have already been on both ends of it and they won’t be the last.