Sportsound Watch

33 minutes ago, Pondsman said:

When Richard Gordon announced that he was leaving Saturdays, I pleaded with the BBC to find someone - anyone - other than MacIntyre to take over. It was already clear from his occasional stints in charge that he was going to be a poor replacement. In fact he is not just poor, he's abysmal. There MUST be someone out there who could do better

Again, the BBC want this. To them, things are fine. This is the direction they want to take.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Macintyre was always going to be worse than Gordon. Obviously. 

But why does a change in presenter change the whole tone of the show? He shouldn’t really have that impact surely. 

He's obviously appalling, but my secret BBC insider mole assures me that the real issue is the producer.

There's been an obvious shift towards sensationalism and my secret BBC insider mole pointed out that rather than this coming from McIntyre, his selection as host is a symptom of that editorial choice from above him.

There are further issues affecting those who work there. Things like who gets sent where and who is kept on the rota are subject to constant controversy even within the BBC, but the decision to go full tabloid has been a management one.

The constant shouty arguments and the pointless fan/music sections are the latest symptoms of the populist direction it's taking, and my secret BBC insider mole assures me it'll only get worse.

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

He's obviously appalling, but my secret BBC insider mole assures me that the real issue is the producer.

There's been an obvious shift towards sensationalism and my secret BBC insider mole pointed out that rather than this coming from McIntyre, his selection as host is a symptom of that editorial choice from above him.

There are further issues affecting those who work there. Things like who gets sent where and who is kept on the rota are subject to constant controversy even within the BBC, but the decision to go full tabloid has been a management one.

The constant shouty arguments and the pointless fan/music sections are the latest symptoms of the populist direction it's taking, and my secret BBC insider mole assures me it'll only get worse.

That would make more sense. 

I'm kind of scared to ask but what is the "music" thing* everyone is talking about? (last season, I decided that silence or actually talking to the other folk in the car was preferable to Sportsound on the way to/from games).

*I do actually know what music is, I'm just interested in what it has to do with a fitba programme on the radio.

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm kind of scared to ask but what is the "music" thing* everyone is talking about? (last season, I decided that silence or actually talking to the other folk in the car was preferable to Sportsound on the way to/from games).

*I do actually know what music is, I'm just interested in what it has to do with a fitba programme on the radio.

Last week it gave us DJ Yogi Hughes firing on the choons.

Really.

39 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I have heard similar from multiple sources, none of whom directly work for the BBC, but all of whom know people who work there.

57 minutes ago, Swello said:

Ever wondered which U2 track “Biscuits” wants played at his funeral?  Or which Dubliners track Hamish Husband thinks best represents the life of a Scotland fan? No, me neither.   But seemingly the vast majority of the football public in this county needs to know these things. 

Edited by Savage Henry

41 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Ever wondered which U2 track “Biscuits” wants played at his funeral?  Or which Dubliners track Hamish Husband thinks best represents the life of a Scotland fan? No, me neither.   But seemingly the vast majority of the football public in this county needs to know these things. 

'sake. 

Literally the worst idea I've ever heard.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Ever wondered which U2 track “Biscuits” wants played at his funeral?  Or which Dubliners track Hamish Husband thinks best represents the life of a Scotland fan? 

Come on then! Don't keep us in suspense...

Was it  Where the Streets Have No Name in memory of Biscuits being sent up to Keith, Aberdeenshire on Scottish Cup duty?

And The Sick Note for Husband's representation of the life and times of a Scotland fan

Edited by Bogbrush1903

A publicly funded broadcaster going down the sensationalism route is unforgivable. It’s hardly as though they rely on the ad revenue is it? Just produce something that isn’t completely shit - it isn’t difficult.

55 minutes ago, resk said:

Disgusting slander against the good people of Aberdeenshire.  

Whoops, sorry Moray, I was actually reading about this recently after watching the pastel wearing Portillo navigating his way through the North-East on the few remaining track that Beeching left up in this corner of the country.

I wonder if Michael Portillo would be an adequate replacement for Richard Gordon?

Edited by Bogbrush1903

37 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Whoops, sorry Moray, I was actually reading about this recently after watching the pastel wearing Portillo navigating his way through the North-East on the few remaining track that Beeching left up in this corner of the country.

I wonder if Michael Portillo would be an adequate replacement for Richard Gordon?

Am sitting here grinning away thinking of Michael Portillo hosting Sportsound now...

'I can't see reference to this 'old firm', or VAR in Bradshaw's Handbook, chaps...what's it all about then?'

Can't see it being any worse, tbh...

I've presumed the music interludes are the equivalent of a tea break for the presenter, given that they don't have any advertising breaks to fill that role.

Can't fathom who thinks the audience for that show, or any other other live sports radio show, wants to have the chat diluted by music. It's tedious.

42 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I've presumed the music interludes are the equivalent of a tea break for the presenter, given that they don't have any advertising breaks to fill that role.

Can't fathom who thinks the audience for that show, or any other other live sports radio show, wants to have the chat diluted by music. It's tedious.

It would honestly be better filled with stock sounds of someone slurping tea. 

It’s such a weird decision to fill time with content you know, with any one tune, probably only 10% of the listeners will be into. I’ve thought the same about Off the Ball, although the share of folk who are into Tams tunes is probably closer to 0.000001%. 

1 hour ago, Jimmain said:

Am sitting here grinning away thinking of Michael Portillo hosting Sportsound now...

It would genuinely be an improvement because at least Portillo knows what words are for.

The suggestion that McIntyre is a symptom, rather than the cause of Sportsound's rapid deterioration rings true.  

It does seem that an editorial decision has been made to head downmarket into tabloid territory.  The galling bit is that McIntyre's bosses are probably delighted with how he's performing.

It's become a programme for stupid people, and they've now got the ideal guy at the helm.

2 hours ago, Jimmain said:

'I can't see reference to this 'old firm', or VAR in Bradshaw's Handbook, chaps...what's it all about then?'

Can't see it being any worse, tbh...

Instead of a Gruesome Twosome bias, Portillo would be heavily skewed towards clubs whose stadiums lie near track described in his Bradshaws, so expect long afternoons discussing the inadequacies of the likes of Raith Rovers, Nairn County and Forfar Athletic.

Although it already sounds more interesting than the melodramtic tones of McIntyre has he howls at the latest Sevco story or VAR scandal.

I wonder if they should try a pilot football magazine show  in the summer to revive flagging ratings with the actor that played BA Baracus (A-)teaming up with Allan Preston to host a new light-hearted football programme called 'T and Biscuits'?

Hopefully, if anyone from Sportsound does have the common sense to come on P&B and read this thread, they'll take both the criticism and suggestions on-board and we'll see Michael Portillo and  Mr T inbound during the summer just in time for the League Cup group stages.

Edited by Bogbrush1903