Sportsound Watch

9 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

3 guys commenting on the OF game, 2 pronouncing Rogic as "Roggich", Bonner defiantly sticking to his "Rojick".

Surely he must hear everyone else and realise that he's the only person anywhere in Scottish football/media pronouncing the name that way?

This sort of thing is quite frequent and it does my head in. There was a classic example of it on Thursday on BT for the AC Milan v Arsenal game. The commentator was calling them Milan and the idiot Savage Meelan with the ridiculousness highlighted as they chatted away exchanging the different pronunciations. It shows a lack of professionalism from the broadcaster too for not ensuring continuity.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Bonner has his own pronunciations for everyone, including about 7 for Simunovic alone

To be fair you could ask seven different people how to pronounce “Bonner” and get seven different answers. 

“p***k”, “w****r”, “arsehole”,...

5 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

In view of Charlie Nicholas' comments this week re: McTominay, he was ranting about 'Englishman' Warren Cummings being picked for Scotland under Vogts on the teatime show, alluded to him being so bad that he was now 'out the game' or words to that effect and then was stopped in his tracks by the guest (whose name I did not catch as I had only just turned on) saying that he had a Scottish accent - "are you sure?" asked Cosgrove? Maybe like Cummings he chould consider retirement as invariably he speaks utter guff and (unlike Tam) isn't funny with it either.

Indeed... Cummings was born in Aberdeen, plus only played 45mins v "Hong Kong League XI" in any case.

Miller had a spectacular meltdown yesterday. “I don’t know why the Partick Thistle fans are getting excited. I can only assume it’s because they’ve crossed the halfway line for the first time.”
As funny as it was, it’s absolutely disgraceful that this dour p***k is allowed to commentate on the Aberdeen game every week for the national broadcaster. He’s every bit as bad as the ridiculous Rangers TV commentator, minus the enthusiasm.
Willie Miller gets paid to watch and talk about football but you would be forgiven for thinking that he works down a coal mine for 13 hours a day on minimum wage.

Ironically the Rangers TV main commentator is Willie Miller's cousin!

14 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Miller had a spectacular meltdown yesterday. “I don’t know why the Partick Thistle fans are getting excited. I can only assume it’s because they’ve crossed the halfway line for the first time.”

As funny as it was, it’s absolutely disgraceful that this dour p***k is allowed to commentate on the Aberdeen game every week for the national broadcaster. He’s every bit as bad as the ridiculous Rangers TV commentator, minus the enthusiasm.

Willie Miller gets paid to watch and talk about football but you would be forgiven for thinking that he works down a coal mine for 13 hours a day on minimum wage.

Making a saracstic comment is a meltdown? Seems a bit of an over reaction. Not that Miller doesn’t deserve criticism from past performances but most of the comments he made were about how bad the game was which given the game he was covering seemed fair.

2 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Making a saracstic comment is a meltdown? Seems a bit of an over reaction. Not that Miller doesn’t deserve criticism from past performances but most of the comments he made were about how bad the game was which given the game he was covering seemed fair.

It was more than just that comment. His whole performance yesterday constituted a meltdown. It was embarrassing.

18 hours ago, 7-2 said:

This sort of thing is quite frequent and it does my head in. There was a classic example of it on Thursday on BT for the AC Milan v Arsenal game. The commentator was calling them Milan and the idiot Savage Meelan with the ridiculousness highlighted as they chatted away exchanging the different pronunciations. It shows a lack of professionalism from the broadcaster too for not ensuring continuity.

This used to drive me up the wall watching European games in the 90s. How can someone who's supposed to be knowledgeable about football or even played it professionally not have at least some understanding of how to pronounce furreners' names?

I remember the old Champ Manager in the mid 90s used to have pre-recorded voice commentary, but for all the Italian football clubs' names the daft English commentator couldn't pronounce they had apparently roped in some Italian guy to do them.

Typically you'd get "<excited English commentator>And here's a chance for</excited English commentator>....<long pause>....<deadpan Italian guy>Pistoiese</deadpan Italian guy>."

Every time they give an update on the Championship scores tonight they miss out the Dumbarton/Brechin game. 

They haven't even mentioned that there are games in Leagues 1 and 2 let alone give updates or even say when someone has scored.

f**k sake, the commentator has literally just said that there only 3 matches being played in the Championship tonight!

Every time they give an update on the Championship scores tonight they miss out the Dumbarton/Brechin game. 
They haven't even mentioned that there are games in Leagues 1 and 2 let alone give updates or even say when someone has scored.
f**k sake, the commentator has literally just said that there only 3 matches being played in the Championship tonight!
And yet when Richard Gordon was doing the handover thing with the woman on Drive he said "there's a busy programme in the SPFL tonight... and a full card in League Two". When they say they'll be across all the games, it would be nice if they meant it.

Peak Chick Young tonight. He was furiously clambering that sectarianism was not just a Celtic/Sevco issue, almost foaming at the mouth about it. He claimed some incident that he saw at Ayr on Saturday as proof, as well as a song that Abroath fans apparently sang about Montrose whilst Danny McGrain was in charge, whilst at the same time utterly belittling that rivalry. He claimed that it was a small minority of people who sing sectarian songs at Cetic/Sevco games. He even managed to get in some SNPBAD.

He had the absolute audacity to complain about 'jobs for the boys' over the appointment of Doncaster to the SFA board.

The man is a huge cretin

I was going to post about Richard Gordon’s behaviour towards Chick on Open All Mics. I  thought that it was verging on bullying and that it was unacceptable, even although I can’t stand the man.

On second thoughts, keep up the good work Richard. Tip him over the edge.

Chick Young is an incoherent rambling mess. He starts of with a bit of bombast, says nothing to back up whatever point he is trying to make, just uses anecdotes that are barely relevant and then tails off into gibberish. I heard him on sportsound tonight and was struggling to understand whatever argument he was trying to put forward.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Peak Chick Young tonight. He was furiously clambering that sectarianism was not just a Celtic/Sevco issue, almost foaming at the mouth about it. He claimed some incident that he saw at Ayr on Saturday as proof, as well as a song that Abroath fans apparently sang about Montrose whilst Danny McGrain was in charge, whilst at the same time utterly belittling that rivalry. He claimed that it was a small minority of people who sing sectarian songs at Cetic/Sevco games. He even managed to get in some SNPBAD.

He had the absolute audacity to complain about 'jobs for the boys' over the appointment of Doncaster to the SFA board.

The man is a huge cretin

Do you disagree with his view on Doncaster?