Sportsound Watch

30 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

James Anderson paying for Donald Findlay ?  Luvver-lee..........

Probably more along the lines of 'we'll add Particks name to the legal action at no cost'....and then at a later date telling them that should the action fail then they would, of course, be splitting the costs...

I'm still unclear as to the route Hearts are looking to take given the decisions were all made by using the rules for the member association that they are a part of and they partook in. Additionally the chair of the club had publicly stated that they would abide by the decision (if that's what the loving football community thought was best)….

2 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Probably more along the lines of 'we'll add Particks name to the legal action at no cost'....and then at a later date telling them that should the action fail then they would, of course, be splitting the costs...

I'm still unclear as to the route Hearts are looking to take given the decisions were all made by using the rules for the member association that they are a part of and they partook in. Additionally the chair of the club had publicly stated that they would abide by the decision (if that's what the loving football community thought was best)….

They probably think Partick have a much better case than Hearts, especially if you take points per game into account.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I cant think of any of them who have had such a breakdown, over so many platforms, to this degree.

Some of his tweets are arguably worse than what he says on the radio.

Spence did over the Rangers stuff (despite being lauded for it by some on here), and has now descended into some sort of alt-right police worshipper based on his Twitter.

I've only just looked at the League One table (because I support a big Premiership team, the fortunes of the seaside leagues do not concern me) and poor, shafted, Stranraer were 8 points adrift of a play-off place. And they hadn't won in 15 games. 

Tom English is a creepy wee sycophant, like. 

I like a good dissection of a horrendous article.  Thank you Tom English.

All of them said they had sympathy for the three clubs but if they did they had a strange way of showing it. Few, if any, of them thought it was fair that the three should suffer such a blow, but only a small number acted on those beliefs. The rest just declared the problem unsolvable and pulled the ladder up.

This is what the problem is.  You can feel sympathy for a club but still vote against reconstruction.  If a club is relegated on the last day of the season thanks to a fluke goal in the last minute you can feel sympathy for the club.  Sympathy does not mean you must vote in favour of. There is going to be winners and losers no matter what happens - do we go for relegating a club who were bottom of the league or do we reconstruct and penalise clubs who weren't at the foot?

Ann Budge - a misogynistic tone to some of it 

I've never heard a single club official make a negative comment about Budge due to being female.  Maybe her brazen attitude to it all? Maybe the fact she said the Premier League needed Hearts? Maybe because she didn't speak to any of the lower league clubs? Or maybe Tom is chatting nonsense? Has he a single quote to back up the misogynistic claim?

But let's look at Thistle. They are now a club in limbo, possibly starting their season in League One in January, but possibly not. Nobody knows. Nobody is giving them any information because there is no information to give. In terms of the restart, Leagues One and Two remain in no-man's land.

What about all of the other clubs in League One and Two? Should we just accept that Thistle have more staff so they don't deserve to be relegated? Since Thistle might not play games all the other clubs should vote to make sure they can play games in a higher division? Away and shite.

If they haven't already, they'll be forced to shed jobs. That's a direct consequence of not having games and not having income. How can anybody with a fair mind acknowledge that a grave injustice has been done and then vote in a way that does absolutely nothing to address that injustice?

Again if any clubs gets relegated should we discuss reconstruction because the club has to cut costs? Every club is in the same boat with regards the lack of income.

No club deserves this kind of treatment. Having won just two out of 13 league games before football was suspended MacGregor's own club were in freefall. Even hopeless Hearts had more points than them in that period.

2 out of 13 games?  How about 2 wins out of the last 6? They WERE in freefall correct - but not since February.  Ross County have 7 points from their last 6 league games. Hearts? 5. However that doesn't fit into the narrative here.

Had Ross Country continued that trajectory and dropped to 12th and were then robbed of a chance to rescue themselves because of the pandemic would MacGregor be practising what he's now preaching about taking his medicine or would he be highlighting a wrong and calling for support?

Based on my trajectory County would finish about 7 points ahead of Hearts.

All power to their magnanimity, but it's somewhat less than convincing. Selfless acceptance of a clear and obvious and hugely damaging injustice is not a trait that you would have associated with football in this county - or any other country - so these views have come as a genuine revelation.

It's not an injustice.  The clubs voted to end the season early on a PPG basis.  It wasn't just names out of a hat.

Couple of Thistle fans angrily shouting that they want as much harm to come to clubs as possible and loads of them to die, as well as the usual boycott stuff, all through a haze of bitter, bitter tears.

Has anyone told them it's just a game of football?

Hearts fans making thinly veiled threats about assaulting visiting officials and fans, as well as hoping clubs die and the boycott stuff.

Do they realise it's just a game of football?

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Couple of Thistle fans angrily shouting that they want as much harm to come to clubs as possible and loads of them to die, as well as the usual boycott stuff, all through a haze of bitter, bitter tears.

Has anyone told them it's just a game of football?

Hearts fans making thinly veiled threats about assaulting visiting officials and fans, as well as hoping clubs die and the boycott stuff.

Do they realise it's just a game of football?

I ventured into the Partick Thistle thread. Holy f**k. They've become like Junior fans.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I started replying and got called obsessed. Feel like I'm @RandomGuy. now. :(

That's the logic of the forum seemingly.

Posting in any thread but your own team's means you're obsessed.

Saying anything at all means you're seething/upset/raging/any other simplistic and braindead terms the usual morons use in place of actual debate.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I ventured into the Partick Thistle thread. Holy f**k. They've become like Junior fans.

At the rate Thistle are going they could be junior fans, or the new equivalent, in about 10 years.

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I’m sure this has probably been asked (and answered) but do we know if Sportsound are going to be doing live commentary of games? Will they have to watch the stream or will they be allowed at the stadiums?

Do they need either?

Finally got round to listening to Monday's podcast. Having found myself getting increasingly annoyed at Tom English and having read the previous comments on Monday's podcast I approached it with some trepidation. Holy shit, he has lost the plot.  That was a dreadful piece by a publicly funded broadcaster. I could have understood that from a fan podcast, or some sort of commercial broadcaster looking for comments leading to a bigger audience for advertisers.

"Is it fair? Is it fair?" Put a sock in it. No this whole situation is not fair. There is always winners and losers, that's sport. You can not make everyone happy, what you do is get the least worst plan and see it through.  The ending of the leagues was made by a vote of clubs (irrespective of the voting structure it was over 80% in favour, that's a landslide). Reconstruction has been voted down 2 or 3 times is it? The last by near enough ⅔ against, elections the world over are won on less votes.

Donald Findlay was pretty much spot on, clubs have voted to end the season knowing they will lose out on playoff places, league placing a and all the financial hit that will entail. Kelty & Brora have not lost out on a place in the league, but on a place in a playoff to then face another playoff to see if they get promoted. All play offs in all leagues have been binned in exactly the same manner, where is your indignation Tom?

The Ross County free fall comments are laughable last 16 games RC 15pts Hearts 11pts (13 games in his written article as he knew the 16 was bollocks, RC 9pts and Hearts 10pts). 

Now I have no issues with folk who have a different point of view on the situation, but his myopic tunnel vision  where he fails to acknowledge facts because they don't fit his agenda is wrong. What was the point  of Kenny McIntyre? He is supposed to "chair" the podcast to allow a fair and balanced debate, safe to say he completely failed in that.

It is doing its job though, we are all talking about it and listening to it, so have we created the monster?

Edited by Tannadeechee

15 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I’m sure this has probably been asked (and answered) but do we know if Sportsound are going to be doing live commentary of games? Will they have to watch the stream or will they be allowed at the stadiums?

In other countries some broadcasters have been allowed into the stadium, but this isn't clear yet. They've shown that they're happy to commentate off a stream from Ibrox anyway, so there's a very good public health case for asking them to do so from all grounds now.

I thought Kenny Macintyre was going to read out my complaint about Tom English for a moment at the start. :lol: It was mainly about his piece on the website. 

No reply as yet.

I can understand the value of occasional opinion pieces to break the monotony of impartiality, but Tom English's one man campaign on behalf of Hearts and Ann Budge has taken it to a whole new level and is making the BBC look ridiculous. His attempts to shout down any alternate view, unimpeded by presenters, was exemplified in yesterday's Sportsound podcast, where Donald Findlay was trying to put over a measured position against reconstruction at this time, continually interrupted by a more and more hysterical Tom English. This latest campaigning piece reads like a press statement from Tynecastle's PR department after one too many. There is zero attempt at offering an explanation of the counter view, instead he takes one line from Roy MacGregor with no context to make him look spiteful, with no reference to his reasoning why the proposed form of restructuring would not be in Ross County's and other clubs' interests. This follows on from his uncritical support for the Rangers campaign against Neil Doncaster and their dodgy dossier. There is nothing wrong with your Chief Sports Writer doing the odd opinion piece, it's what he's paid for, but this is full blown campaigning for one team.

I thought Kenny Macintyre was going to read out my complaint about Tom English for a moment at the start. :lol: It was mainly about his piece on the website. 

No reply as yet.

I can understand the value of occasional opinion pieces to break the monotony of impartiality, but Tom English's one man campaign on behalf of Hearts and Ann Budge has taken it to a whole new level and is making the BBC look ridiculous. His attempts to shout down any alternate view, unimpeded by presenters, was exemplified in yesterday's Sportsound podcast, where Donald Findlay was trying to put over a measured position against reconstruction at this time, continually interrupted by a more and more hysterical Tom English. This latest campaigning piece reads like a press statement from Tynecastle's PR department after one too many. There is zero attempt at offering an explanation of the counter view, instead he takes one line from Roy MacGregor with no context to make him look spiteful, with no reference to his reasoning why the proposed form of restructuring would not be in Ross County's and other clubs' interests. This follows on from his uncritical support for the Rangers campaign against Neil Doncaster and their dodgy dossier. There is nothing wrong with your Chief Sports Writer doing the odd opinion piece, it's what he's paid for, but this is full blown campaigning for one team.