Sportsound Watch

The 'it's not fair' argument was ridiculous. How many times have you been at or watched a game and seen a team dominate the match, only to see the less fancied team bounce back like Rocky Balboa to land a 25 yarder into the top corner and run away with the points (I accept this may be because i'm a Pars fan that this may be a more common sight than for others! 😄)...should any game that finishes like that be appealed because it wasn't fair...we had 20 shots to their 1? No wonder Donald Findlay was able to swat it away...I hope Hearts legal team have a better argument than that.

As was said by the QC yesterday, no - it wasn't fair but it was the best solution to an unforeseen situation that needed finalising...there were going to be some winners and some losers but that happens everywhere at this time.

I do feel sorry for the relegated teams and those missing out on a play off but i'm struggling to see a sensible solution that could've been put in place for all at short notice.

34 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

😄  is it not the case that if someone approaches them and asks them to defend them they are duty bound to do it?

Think so, something like that anyway, otherwise real toerags would get off because they couldn't get a fair trial.

Edited by welshbairn

36 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

The 'it's not fair' argument was ridiculous. How many times have you been at or watched a game and seen a team dominate the match, only to see the less fancied team bounce back like Rocky Balboa to land a 25 yarder into the top corner and run away with the points (I accept this may be because i'm a Pars fan that this may be a more common sight than for others! 😄)...should any game that finishes like that be appealed because it wasn't fair...we had 20 shots to their 1? No wonder Donald Findlay was able to swat it away...I hope Hearts legal team have a better argument than that.

As was said by the QC yesterday, no - it wasn't fair but it was the best solution to an unforeseen situation that needed finalising...there were going to be some winners and some losers but that happens everywhere at this time.

I do feel sorry for the relegated teams and those missing out on a play off but i'm struggling to see a sensible solution that could've been put in place for all at short notice.

English believes that Findlay's career has been built on "natural justice". Not the actual law, but "natural justice"!

Fucksake!

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

TBF defending Craig Whyte would be like petitioning the BMA to get Harold Shipman's right to practice back.

He's defended a lot worse than Craig Whyte. He wasn't very popular around Hamilton for defending Francis Auld in 1992 for starters but everyone is entitled to a defence.

26 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

😄  is it not the case that if someone approaches them and asks them to defend them they are duty bound to do it?

QCs are self employed, they are approached by lawyers to take on cases - they dont have to do anything.

For these guys, it is usually about winning the intellectual argument - not so much the rights and the wrongs of the case.

What the ordinary punter thinks is "right and wrong" are largely irrelevant - if your QC is crap, their arguments will be ripped to shreds by a decent one................even if you have a solid case.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

TBF defending Craig Whyte would be like petitioning the BMA to get Harold Shipman's right to practice back.

^^^ big team found

Sir Craig Whyte is one of the most noble men in the history of Scottish football.

3 hours ago, Green Day said:

I think Findlay kept his powder dry for most of this. He is many things, but not daft - he knew he was invited on the show as the punchbag for English.

The part in bold was pathetic.

Findlay was making the - very valid - point that if you want to garner support for a resolution, you hit the phones and chat to everyone involved, see if there are any issues to iron out etc.

His point was that Budge had just made a few public statements and assumed that everyone would agree that saving Hearts was paramount regardless of the fallout.

English was apoplectic at this and didnt even explore the point or discuss the rather obvious downsides of the reconstruction proposals.

English has never once looked at this from the view of the other clubs, indeed if we are being truthful from the view of anyone except Hearts.

I listened to it last night for some light entertainment while cutting the grass. You're absolutely right - Findlay wasn't there to get particularly involved and just responded to their points without getting out of second gear. They tried and failed to catch him out but, let's face it, he's one of the best in the country in terms of putting arguments across and dealing with counter-arguments. They didn't stand a chance and he could have torn them apart if he had chosen to do so.

2 minutes ago, Green Day said:

QCs are self employed, they are approached by lawyers to take on cases - they dont have to do anything.

For these guys, it is usually about winning the intellectual argument - not so much the rights and the wrongs of the case.

What the ordinary punter thinks is "right and wrong" are largely irrelevant - if your QC is crap, their arguments will be ripped to shreds by a decent one................even if you have a solid case.

What happens if nobody agrees to take the case?

Just now, welshbairn said:

What happens if nobody agrees to take the case?

Do you mean for a lost cause ?

Well, winning a seemingly unwinnable case is the biggest intellectual thrill one of these guys could have !

Why does Sportsound, and BBC Scotland in general (and the Scottish media in general too) have such a bias in all of this? Why have they all decided on one side, and seemingly did so almost from the very start?

There's no balance at all. For the tabloids I get that as they don't care a bit about balance and journalism, but for BBC Scotland and Sportsound I don't get why they're so fiercely on one side and so vehemently against opposing views.

2 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Do you mean for a lost cause ?

Well, winning a seemingly unwinnable case is the biggest intellectual thrill one of these guys could have !

I was more thinking of defending some beast child sex murderer or something. I realise somebody would likely take it on the basis that any publicity can be good for your career, but can the judge order somebody to take the case in the theoretical event that nobody volunteers?

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why does Sportsound, and BBC Scotland in general (and the Scottish media in general too) have such a bias in all of this? Why have they all decided on one side, and seemingly did so almost from the very start?

There's no balance at all. For the tabloids I get that as they don't care a bit about balance and journalism, but for BBC Scotland and Sportsound I don't get why they're so fiercely on one side and so vehemently against opposing views.

Dont know what you mean? 🤣

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53062777

Quite incredible that Tom English continues to choose this hill to die on. A man apparently determined to shred his last vestiges of credibility on behalf of Leslie Deans and Ann Budge.

For someone who was considered to be a breath of fresh air in Scottish football opinion and commentary, over the last couple of months he's spectacularly outed himself as no better than the Keith Jackson's of this world.

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I was more thinking of defending some beast child sex murderer or something. I realise somebody would likely take it on the basis that any publicity can be good for your career, but can the judge order somebody to take the case in the theoretical event that nobody volunteers?

They'd lean on some newly qualified Counsel and tell them it could be the making of them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCSportScot/status/1272534178622513152

Tom English retweeted the podcast. Honestly says a lot when even Celtic fans are piling in to say Findlay ripped English. Sometimes I wonder if we are in a 'forum bubble' where only one view gets accepted as the right one but Twitter is pretty much laughing at the roasting Findlay dishes out as well.

Findlay - 'why are we going around in circles?....I've stated that at least 3 times'  😄

Tom English demanding Findlay to state how many clubs will be ready by October.  How the f**k can he give an indication now? Findlay - 'I'm sorry, that is just a pointless question'; and he is right, it is! and Tom just goes on and on.....