Sportsound Watch

18 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Sigh. They're once again conflating ambition with money. Kelty and Brora are seemingly progressive and ambitious clubs, more so than some others who are 'stagnating' and get '10 fans through the door'.

Gretna were ambitious. Rangers were too.

So were Dundee, Livingston, Dunfermline, Hearts, Dundee again etc.

Completely and utterly this.

That particular notion of 'ambition' should, in the context of Scottish football, be just about the most discredited concept imaginable.

And yet it's not.  Too many contributors have little knowledge and are devoid of any analytical skills.  The result is that so much rubbish is talked.  It's not good enough.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

There maybe should be an auditing procedure after every appointment. Total transparency. Where did you advertise, who did you approach and why, who applied, how did you select the interviewees etc. It would be a good data gathering of who is actually applying for jobs. At that point if we see a large number of BAME applicants yet hardly any interviews you might deduce theres a problem to be solved. 

It not just that though.  If there are disproportionately few BAME applicants, that also points towards there being an issue.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It not just that though.  If there are disproportionately few BAME applicants, that also points towards there being an issue.

It all has to be quantified though before you can ask why. A transparency process may inspire confidence that their application will be fairly dealt with. I suspect there might be an uptick, IF there's an apathy around even applying which seems at least possible.

There was an article a few years ago that focused on the lack of BAME coaches at all levels of English football. It was pretty clear that as the you moved up the coaching "pyramid", the proportion of BAME coaches declined. It's obvious as to why that's the case, and it's not because BAME coaches aren't as good as white coaches.

Honestly, there's been so much work into discrimination in the labour market. Denying that it exists is just burying your head in the sand. 

33 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It all has to be quantified though before you can ask why. A transparency process may inspire confidence that their application will be fairly dealt with. I suspect there might be an uptick, IF there's an apathy around even applying which seems at least possible.

I'm not arguing with the idea of examining it at each stage.

I'm simply arguing that the issue is much more complex and deep seated than can be solved by simply looking directly at the end game of job application and recruitment procedures.

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not arguing with the idea of examining it at each stage.

I'm simply arguing that the issue is much more complex and deep seated than can be solved by simply looking directly at the end game of job application and recruitment procedures.

Absolutely. I am in agreement there. We have to start somewhere though. That type of thing would encourage applications though. Any measure looked at in isolation is just that though. A cog in a bigger machine. 

Unless they're applying from England etc (ie Alex Dyer) there's not a lot Scotland can meaningfully add to this debate until we get more black / Asian scots playing at a high level that can go into coaching upon retirement. A good point Barnes and others has made was that by leeting a black candidate, they are given interview experience and don't just give up. Maybe that is something we can do too - if a black candidate applies, they are interviewed.

Of the black Scots managing just now... Chris Mackie's had a few Junior jobs and is going to be at Whitburn when we resume. Kevin Harper has just left Albion Rovers. How many other black  Scottish managers are there? The list of Black ex pros is short.

30% of pros in England are BAME. 9% of our population is but of those playing football? It must be a 0.0?% figure for those that are BAME. That should be the priority just now, getting that figure up.

Edited by cmontheloknow

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

There's also Bejay Koya, Head Coach at Heriot Watt University FC. I believe he is an A licensed coach.

Banji. And Edinburgh Uni possibly also have a black coach. Would have to look that up though as it's at back of mind as a possibility. 

Edit: yeah EUFC have Dorian Ogunro.

Edited by cmontheloknow

While I have no great desire to listen to the puffed up loyalist windbag that is Findlay, it's almost tempting to listen in just to hear English being schooled in what the law actually says rather than what successful businesswoman Ann Budge has been telling him it says.

22 minutes ago, theauldyin said:

HOLY F**k !! never thought I would see the day I agree with Donald Finlay. As for English time he fucked off back to Ireland. AS FOR THAT USELESS EX JAMBO MANGER WELL !!

Why does he need to go to Ireland? A bit much.

However, being asked to be competent in his capacity as lead sportswriter should not be too much to ask.

That was funny as f**k, all of them ganging up on Findlay and him casually swatting them off like flies. Thought English was going to have an aneurysm. Findlay was quite right about Cowdenbeath being denied a chance of promotion, in 4th place 2 points behind 3rd and with a game in hand. But no, it's all about poor Hearts.

Edited by welshbairn