Williams

Targett

Tiote

Shelvey

Schneiderlin

Redmond

Sterling

Volland

January will see me add Lloris, Laporte, Mario Fernandes, James McCarthy and Vietto

My squad is now;

GK: Zieler & Butland

DEF: Lustig, Pique, Reid, Alba, Ben Gibson (Boro), John Souttar, Phil Bardsley, Bojan Jokic

MID: Flamini, Westwood, Wanyama, Lucas Romero, Sterling, Mirallas, Antonio Valencia (loan) Sisto, John McGinn (best player so far :lol: ) Youri Tielemans, Konoplyanka

FWD: Munir (loan) Cummings, Adam Rooney & Nadir Ciftci :lol:

First game smashed Everton 4-1

Second game roasted off of West Brom 3-0 :huh:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's this 'moneyball'? And why is it impossible in Scotland?

Just a different way of managing, a few differents one go about, like the more radical one wisbit posted about selling key players and that.

In general its a case of ...

• Run the club at a profit
  • Never pay over the odds for a player (generally the players value is a guide, so never pay more than his value, you are allowed leeway for a spectacular player whos values maybe falsified by his clubs position)
  • Accept any offers for any player if it exceeds his market value
  • Use average ratings to decide on your signings (obviously hard in your first window, but after that if given a choice go for the player whos been performing rather than the one you're scout says has more potential)
  • Don't just sign any youngster with potential, the aim is get players who are just entering their peak, so you buy them cheap, they perform then are sold on for a profit
  • Try and develop your own players through the youth system
  • Only sign players you need. Don't spend money on just anyone, identify the weak links and upgrade on them

Its not impossible, just tedious early on

If I'm being honest, that's probably the way I play any normal game with a lower league side!

Yeah most people pretty much manage that way anyway :lol:

Possibly the only differences would be the never paying over the players value, selling any of your players once someone pays you more than their value and the only getting players about to enter thier peak. In essence you're looking for 23-29 year olds who are available for less than their value who have potential to develop, whilst most folks saves end up with you looking for 17 year olds with five star potential.

I think in the film a few of the players are signed after being seen as not good enough for the bigger teams.

There's nothing sweeter than signing someone on a free who has recently been released by an EPL club and then having them totally dominate before selling them on for millions.

Did this with Willie Dunbar who was released by Stoke and picked up by my Dunfermline side as we were on the ascendancy. I think he did 3 or 4 seasons with us, won 2 league titles, made his Scotland debut and then I sold him to Everton for £4.5m. Best of it was, he'd been used from the bench more and more because a player from my youth team had came through and surpassed him. I think he was released from Everton after a couple of years and is now at Dundee United.

^my mate won the Champions League year after year with Morton by signing guys released from the Old Firm or from the lower leagues (and Cherno Samba) and would sell them onto the Old Firm for millions then sign them back a year or two later for half what he sold them for

Yeah thats classic "moneyball" tactics, most folk do it anyway. The fact you're only meant to use money you can bring in from transfers (net transfer spend should be negative) makes it very hard early on in Scotland. As you're reliant on the big English clubs cast offs

I've been at Dunfermline for 10 years and I've won 7 Premiership titles in a row using this method and have probably spent about £5m total, about £4m spent over 2 players. I think I went about 6 years without paying a transfer fee.

Haven't gotten further than the CL 1/4 final though.

I've been at Dunfermline for 10 years and I've won 7 Premiership titles in a row using this method and have probably spent about £5m total, about £4m spent over 2 players. I think I went about 6 years without paying a transfer fee.

Haven't gotten further than the CL 1/4 final though.

You are my God

Skipped a year, and went one of the relegated EPL sides. Decided on QPR to try and, finally, end their financial and recruitment mayhem.

Austin and Robinson had already been sold in the June and I joined after, so that was £9m to play with, not including the fortune taken off the wage bill with the biggest earners being punted at the end of their contract. Random youth and Taarabt out gave me another £7.5m to play with.

So far Ive brought in Victor Moses (£3.3m), Beeney, Dudgeon, Macheda (all free), Mackay-Steven (£325k), Coates (£2.5m), Sam Johnstone (£625k), Bannan and McEachran (both £1m).

So thats £16.5m in, and £8.7m spent. Decent, the squads far better too. Desperate to get Rob Green off the wage bill.

Skipped a year, and went one of the relegated EPL sides. Decided on QPR to try and, finally, end their financial and recruitment mayhem.

Austin and Robinson had already been sold in the June and I joined after, so that was £9m to play with, not including the fortune taken off the wage bill with the biggest earners being punted at the end of their contract. Random youth and Taarabt out gave me another £7.5m to play with.

So far Ive brought in Victor Moses (£3.3m), Beeney, Dudgeon, Macheda (all free), Mackay-Steven (£325k), Coates (£2.5m), Sam Johnstone (£625k), Bannan and McEachran (both £1m).

So thats £16.5m in, and £8.7m spent. Decent, the squads far better too. Desperate to get Rob Green off the wage bill.

Bitch please. I showed you how to do QPR.

Won the league and cup double with Roma, then the Barca job comes up. Was all set to decline it last minute but I just couldn't, they haven't won a Champions League in all of the seasons the game has been going and their squad is aging quite badly, so it seemed like a great challenge. I could regret leaving Roma though as I had an excellent team there, including some brilliant young Italian guys.

During the interview for the Barca job, bizarrely enough the board seemed to prize a defensive and direct football philosophy more than attacking and possession. They've been fucked up pretty bad.

Won the league and cup double with Roma, then the Barca job comes up. Was all set to decline it last minute but I just couldn't, they haven't won a Champions League in all of the seasons the game has been going and their squad is aging quite badly, so it seemed like a great challenge. I could regret leaving Roma though as I had an excellent team there, including some brilliant young Italian guys.

During the interview for the Barca job, bizarrely enough the board seemed to prize a defensive and direct football philosophy more than attacking and possession. They've been fucked up pretty bad.

Whnever I get offered a job at a REALLY huge club like that I always make an effort to sign a player from my first ever "Best XI" even if it's just as a coach. Dae it. DAE IT NOW!

Whnever I get offered a job at a REALLY huge club like that I always make an effort to sign a player from my first ever "Best XI" even if it's just as a coach. Dae it. DAE IT NOW!

I'm going to resist the temptation of appointing Dan Seaborne as my head of youth development. I was going to give Kris Doolan a job as an attacking coach as he's actually pretty good at it, but he's now manager of Motherwell.

In other news, Pep Guardiola once again feeds on my scraps and is the new manager of AS Roma. He is replaced at Partick Thistle by Graham Dorrans, who will be looking to guide them to their tenth title in a row.

My backroom staff comprised of a lot of players that were in my first team in my first season, so I've got Keigan Parker and Jim Lister as my scouts etc. I also had Alan Gow as my Head of Youth Development until I realised he was doing a terrible job. I replaced him with Nick Montgomery.

Archived