What annoys you about footballers of today

The most annoying thing is that so many top level football players are nigh on incapable of kicking a ball with their 'wrong foot'. There is no excuse for earning £100k+ p/w and being utterly woeful with your other foot. Yes, you will never have the same ability with your weaker foot, but if we use a scale of 1-10 with your stronger foot being a 10, you should at least be able to get your weaker foot to around a 7 or an 8.

#Nandos, identikit haircuts and almost identikit sleeve tattoos are another major bugbear. It's almost becoming some sort of unofficial standard.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shorts sleeves and gloves

I've heard this mentioned a lot. I fail to see the issue, unless the people who say it are freaks who can grow hair on their palms and can get goosebumps on their hands.

I enjoy Scottish football more than English football for all the reasons mentioned, English football is full of 'celebrity' types. I'd watch a bunch of normal lads at Arbroath over Arsenal any day of the week, boys that give up half their week travelling and playing aswell as holding down full time jobs and families etc. These guys do it for the love of the game, the guys at the top seem to be in it purely for the cash.

Watched a junior match in deepest, darkest Lanarkshire last night.

The players of one team, who were distinctly mediocre, seemed to spend all their energy moaning at the ref instead of just getting on and playing. In 25 years of watching football I've never seen a ref change their mind just because some fud shouts at him.

Then after a mere 80 minutes of play one player goes down with cramp. Something you never used to see, Now if it was me running for a bus I'd get cramp because I'm a fat unfit b*****d. These guys are meant to be sportsmen ffs!

Maybe it's just me, but when I played amatuer league in Inverness 3-4 years ago, not once did I see anyone going down with cramp. Obviously the quality of players is worse, but it's the same size of pitch, for the same amount of time, and probably at the same 100mph most junior and lower league games are played at.

The most annoying thing is that so many top level football players are nigh on incapable of kicking a ball with their 'wrong foot'. There is no excuse for earning £100k+ p/w and being utterly woeful with your other foot. Yes, you will never have the same ability with your weaker foot, but if we use a scale of 1-10 with your stronger foot being a 10, you should at least be able to get your weaker foot to around a 7 or an 8.

#Nandos, identikit haircuts and almost identikit sleeve tattoos are another major bugbear. It's almost becoming some sort of unofficial standard.

Arjen Robben is the quintessential example of a one footed player. He is so predictable, as he literally doesnt have a right foot, but if he gets onto his left he's unplayable.

Footballers are allowed to get away with anything, so long as they're considered valuable to their employer. Obvious example: Luis Suarez repeatedly humiliates his club and the game in general, to the point that he's banned from playing for months. His punishment is a move to possibly the biggest club in the world for massive amounts of money.

The only thing that will make a quality footballer unemployable is prison, and that's only because they physically aren't able to play or train. Get that issue sorted with the government and there'd be criminals of the worst kind being paid to kick a ball around, given the right level of talent.

Admittedly this isn't different to any other industry, but it pisses me off when people don't have to adhere to the basic morality that the rest of us are expected to.

Arjen Robben is the quintessential example of a one footed player. He is so predictable, as he literally doesnt have a right foot, but if he gets onto his left he's unplayable.

He literally doesn't have a right foot? That must make it hard to be a footballer what with all the running etc.

Must save on boots mind.

The one advantage Scottish football has over England is that it is filled with characters: good guys, wanks, incredibly dirty players, Rowan Vine and people who just can't play football very well. From the incompetent governance at the top, to complete shambles of clubs, a universally despised media to everyone uniting to send Rangers to play a bunch of diddies. The fact that Scottish Football is so inferior to England has probably made me like it even more.

I've read this about half a dozen times. Every time I do, I feel I can hear the strains of Land of Hope and Glory ringing in my ears as I salute.

That they are all utter pussies. It used to a source of pride as to how hard you were in football. If someone tried to snap you, you just laughed. Now if someone even so much as almost glances at a player that player will be diving and rolling and holding their face. Even supposed hardmen these days play act. f**k them all.

This

Id love to see Vinnie Jones from his prime placed in the modern game just to see the havoc he would cause. The wages they receive is nothing short of disgusting.

This

Id love to see Vinnie Jones from his prime placed in the modern game just to see the havoc he would cause. The wages they receive is nothing short of disgusting.

There's a difference between being hard and being a violent racist thug. Jones falls into the latter and his type shouldn't be anywhere near the game.

Footballers are allowed to get away with anything, so long as they're considered valuable to their employer. Obvious example: Luis Suarez repeatedly humiliates his club and the game in general, to the point that he's banned from playing for months. His punishment is a move to possibly the biggest club in the world for massive amounts of money.

The only thing that will make a quality footballer unemployable is prison, and that's only because they physically aren't able to play or train. Get that issue sorted with the government and there'd be criminals of the worst kind being paid to kick a ball around, given the right level of talent.

Admittedly this isn't different to any other industry, but it pisses me off when people don't have to adhere to the basic morality that the rest of us are expected to.

Even this isn't the case. Ched Evans is about to be re-employed by Sheffield United after being released from a 5 year rape sentence. It would seem nothing can make footballer 'unemployable'.

The money one is a difficult one, for me. I understand, and fully agree with the wages of young players (chelsea for example) being completely ridiculous, but football seems to get a lot of stick for the money involved.

Take the Barclays Golf Championship for example $10million first prize for a golf tournament, McIlroy earns approx £42,00 per day yet there are no crys of outrage at the amount of money in golf. Just a comparison but the money they are paid isn't something which angers me about the modern game.

There's a difference between being hard and being a violent racist thug. Jones falls into the latter and his type shouldn't be anywhere near the game.

^^^ this

Some of the "real" hard men in football of years gone by, such as Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith, Dave McKay<Billy Bremner, make Vinny Jones look like a pansy

Celebrating winning a penalty

Waving imaginary cards

OTT pish celebrations

The quadruple roll when hitting the deck for a hand on the back.

1. Diving.

2. Headbutting. This is a regular thing now.... Not even decent contact most of the time. I'm not condoning headbutting at all but if you're stupid enough to stick the head in, at least do it properly right?

3. When there is a late substitution, usually between 88 mins and the end of the game. You'll always have that one arsehole that feels the need to hug every single teammate on his way off, despite the fact he'll see them in two minutes anyway. Even worse when it's the captain. :thumbsdown

I've read this about half a dozen times. Every time I do, I feel I can hear the strains of Land of Hope and Glory ringing in my ears as I salute.

A Man's A Man For A' That, surely?

The fact that Sheffield United are even considering having Ched Evans back is utterly depressing. Imagine a scenario like that where you work: "Remember that c*nt that got put away for raping a girl when she was too drunk to consent? Well, we're inviting him back, because that boy can sure crunch a spreadsheet." "Aye, fair enough, I suppose."

ETA: DigOutYourSoul beat me to it.

A Man's A Man For A' That, surely?

The fact that Sheffield United are even considering having Ched Evans back is utterly depressing. Imagine a scenario like that where you work: "Remember that c*nt that got put away for raping a girl when she was too drunk to consent? Well, we're inviting him back, because that boy can sure crunch a spreadsheet." "Aye, fair enough, I suppose."

ETA: DigOutYourSoul beat me to it.

Evans should be hounded out of football like Thomson from hearts

Archived