Derek Adams Sacked!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dingwall is one of the smallest and remote part of the country and Ross County are a club with a low budget. Looking from the outside although Adams didn't come across well at times, the decision to sack him is very harsh. After being unlucky and performing well against Dundee Utd then doing well to beat Stranraer (a potential banana skin) at Stair park things looked to be turning around. What more can Dingwall expect? The signings he made last january were inspired and showed he can discover a player. What he has done at County is amazing and sustained and you might realise in the future how lucky you were as you have been punching way above your weight for some time.

You've obviously not seen much of the north! ;) There's 50 miles of mainland west and more than 100 miles to the north of Dingwall, which is just up the A9 for most. Also obviously the islands.

Small and remote - yes, one of the smallest and most remote in Scotland - no.

Also they/he could spot a good player, but they sure signed a lot of shit ones the last couple of seasons.

Most importantly, there's a lot more to it than the last 4 results, this wasn't a knee-jerk, panicked decision. Things at the club have come to a head, with the results not helping anything.

Despite this nitpicking post, I'd actually much rather Derek had stayed. But something had to give, and I don't think it was going to be George with Derek feeling able to stay at the club, not have any issue with the board changing the culture of the place around him, and also 'change' with that.

Really disappointed it came to this, but from what I understand things had reached tipping point and something needed to give.

Is Barry Wilson a possibility or does his Caley Thistle time rule him out?

He'll certainly be linked to it, I think this summer was the first time he wasn't linked to us as either player or coach for about 15 years :lol:

Echoing the thoughts of Yoda on this really. Derek has done an amazing job with County over the years and he'll always be a favourite despite being a bit of a (OK, a massive) bellend. But the fact he's been one of just 2 decent managers we've had in the 20 years we've been a league club certainly helps his status. Not disappointed that George has gone though, and if that means that Derek was going too then so be it. Though I do think Derek will go on to better things, certainly deserves the chance.

The fear is who replaces him; we've had some horrendous clowns at the club in the past, from the abominable Alex Smith to the frankly pathetic Willie McStay. Ian Murray would probably be our best bet but I have no idea if he'd be willing to move up here. And that's always going to be a problem for County. Happy to see Fergie get a chance, and if we can pick up some points then wouldn't be shocked to see him get the job. Adams was at the club already when he took over from Dick Campbell, wasn't he?

But I think we can rule out the Tango Man, he's been here before & by all accounts wasn't well liked at the club despite doing a decent enough job in righting the ship after the McStay disaster. And Robbo coming back is as likely as Jose Mourinho.

With a sugar daddy in McGregor any manager could do well up in Dingwall. People go on about Adams unearthing great talent and sure enough he has found a few gems but he had had to wade through a lot of shit to get them. People go on about Adams being a good manager, well a good manager doesn't recycle his squad every 6 months in a hope for a reaction. People said that his media interviews were targeted and clever, intended to take the pressure off the team, well that might be the case but a good manager does end up in a position where he has to do that so often he is seen as a perennial whinger.

I am sure there are many redeeming features to Adams' character, after all most of us are actually quite nice people when you meet us face to face (yes, even me!) however he had ploughed a long and lonely furrow as the most disliked manager in Scottish football outside the OF and the fucknugget Brown, which is quite an achievement but for me I think County have an excellent opportunity here to remove the weight from their shoulders, bring in someone who is experienced enough to progress this squad and to take advantage of a weak Celtic and no Rangers, Hibs and Hearts, because an opportunity like that doesn't come around more than once in a lifetime and to miss out on it would be criminal when you have so much in your favour as County do.

Could getting Scottish players to move from the central belt to the highlands be an issue?

The signing policy over the last few windows seems to have been to get foreign players who if you are moving to a new country you are as far from family and friends in Dingwall as you are in Kilmarnock.

Remember him saying it was easier getting foreign players as their wage demands were less than Scottish players. Some of them have done very well such as De Leeuw and Kiss. For me he has used the loan market very wisely to make up for the lack of funds. Part time teams in Northern locations will have it easier as their central belt based players still train in the central belt and only have to make the long journey on matchday. Ross County on the other hand are full time so getting these central belt players to move north is more tricky and they would have to be offered a handsome wage to tempt them north

You've obviously not seen much of the north! ;) There's 50 miles of mainland west and more than 100 miles to the north of Dingwall, which is just up the A9 for most. Also obviously the islands.

Small and remote - yes, one of the smallest and most remote in Scotland - no.

Also they/he could spot a good player, but they sure signed a lot of shit ones the last couple of seasons.

Most importantly, there's a lot more to it than the last 4 results, this wasn't a knee-jerk, panicked decision. Things at the club have come to a head, with the results not helping anything.

Despite this nitpicking post, I'd actually much rather Derek had stayed. But something had to give, and I don't think it was going to be George with Derek feeling able to stay at the club, not have any issue with the board changing the culture of the place around him, and also 'change' with that.

Really disappointed it came to this, but from what I understand things had reached tipping point and something needed to give.

It could be more what happened off the pitch and the way he handled himself in the media which didn't help. There is nothing to suggest he couldn't turn it around as he has proven himself capable of doing so in the past. So I can understand your disappointment.

20 years in the SPL

Little bit of rewriting of history going on here, I think.

Hope Butcher is nowhere near this. I think having County in the same like as us is good crack, and good for both clubs, but if Butcher becomes their manager I'll be duty-bound to hope that they are relegated without gaining a point.

Little bit of rewriting of history going on here, I think.

Hope Butcher is nowhere near this. I think having County in the same like as us is good crack, and good for both clubs, but if Butcher becomes their manager I'll be duty-bound to hope that they are relegated without gaining a point.

:lol: Ooops.

Surprised at the shouts of Ian Murray, as he seems to be getting found out ever since Jack Ross left his side.

Is it a case of being "found out" or is it more likely that Dumbarton are simply returning to their rightful position? No offence to the Sons as I like them, but surely in the natural order of things they should be bottom-end of the Championship, top-end of League One?

Murray has worked miracles there, but you can only perform a trick for so long before the audience starts to work it out. Maybe a change of scene is what he needs.

:lol:

Well that is just ridiculous.

Emmm what part of that is ridiculous exactly? Dingwall's not on a railway line, and definitely isn't 20 minutes from a hub with connections to Glasgow, Edinburgh and London. It isn't even close to a motorway like the A9 or something so I can't for one minute understand why you think he was talking shite.

Emmm what part of that is ridiculous exactly? Dingwall's not on a railway line, and definitely isn't 20 minutes from a hub with connections to Glasgow, Edinburgh and London. It isn't even close to a motorway like the A9 or something so I can't for one minute understand why you think he was talking shite.

The bridge over the railway line to the Stadium may disagree with you and also the bus to Inverness takes about 20-25 mins (as long as it's not the one that goes through Beauly etc) to get there......

.....Dingwall is no where near as isolated as the post suggested.

Archived