The Arbroath Thread

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Bobby Linn on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his match winning performance in our Lichties 4-2 win over Dunfermline Athletic at Gayfield yesterday. Bobby’s introduction in the 68th minute changed the game and the Lichtie legend fired us into the lead with a 25 yard rocket before winning the penalty that wrapped up the 3 points. No wonder he is known by the Lichtie faithful as Sir Bobby Linn. Thanks to all who voted 🇱🇻

12A93A9B-228E-4ABB-8755-397938C9138A.jpeg

2 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Paul Reid has been appointed Commercial Director at Arbroath. 

He had a similar role at Tannadice for about 20 years.  Great appointment and a really talented guy on a number of levels. 

Good luck Paul !

Can anyone explain what his new role will be? Will it just be hosting hospitality or is there more to it?

I’m still a confirmed ‘ahent the goals’ man but supporting the lads from the side has been great. Extending the home area to both halves has been a right success.

It’s an absolute game changer. I make that 3 games with it? (Hamilton, Ayr & Dunfermline) 6 scored and 1 conceded.
ETA - will just need to get the roof of the terrace extended to where the segregation fence is now [emoji4]

I think there will be a bit more to it. Hopefully he can bring some new ideas to the club from 22 successful  years experience  at United. 

The team's punching above their weight just now,and the club can do that too with some fresh ideas, 

3 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

I’m still a confirmed ‘ahent the goals’ man but supporting the lads from the side has been great. Extending the home area to both halves has been a right success.

Before it felt like you could only properly enjoy one half. I probably prefer us shooting down towards the away fans now. It is magic. 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Before it felt like you could only properly enjoy one half. I probably prefer us shooting down towards the away fans now. It is magic. 

Couldn’t agree more. Best of both worlds now - Switchie End and the whole seaside terrace.

11 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

It’s an absolute game changer. I make that 3 games with it? (Hamilton, Ayr & Dunfermline) 6 scored and 1 conceded.
ETA - will just need to get the roof of the terrace extended to where the segregation fence is now emoji4.png

Is it not 9 - 3 ?

6 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:
23 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:
Couldn’t agree more. Best of both worlds now - Switchie End and the whole seaside terrace.

Best of both worlds would be no segregation but it's a decent compromise. I wish we could get out the gate at the back at full time though.

Any gate would have been good yesterday 

Brilliant lads, what a season you're having good stuff, also nice that the last few results have benefited Killie, Arbroath and Raith are by far the best teams we've played this season.

And well done Bobby Linn💪 good guy and a cracking player.

On 31/10/2021 at 19:13, 1320Lichtie said:

Can anyone explain what his new role will be? Will it just be hosting hospitality or is there more to it?

That would be a complete waste of time and money.  This strikes me as a really ambitious move by the club though I’m not clear whether it’s full or part time.  The last few years our ambitious board has revealed and tapped some business potential based on the club that was difficult to identify previously - the sponsorship (business and individual), hospitality, merchandising, etc and maybe there is considerably more out there, even for a town of 25,000.   I was hearing of Aberdeen-based companies with no link to AFC buying hospitality.  There are probably some established ideas we could borrow from others (a weekly lottery), maybe running the bar/restaurant on nongame days (ie the old supporters club tho issues with Tutties) and there must be more contemporary opportunities to draw in the Lichtie diaspora across the globe..   As long as we keep relatively grounded and sustainable.

I also greatly appreciate the adjustment to segregation - much more to the fans’ liking (and our traditions).  But it’s getting really crowded in the stand so why not take the full length?   It may not be needed headed into poorer weather but would allow more hygienic spacing - at present it’s getting more like a virus spreading opportunity. At away grounds, we are often confined to very small spaces.

One issue that needs urgent attention is the tannoy/PA system.  It’s virtually inaudible in many parts of the ground and so this good facility/opportunity is being lost. Longer term, some protection along the North Sea, by which I mean a double/triple line of trees as windbreak and maybe some coastal protection (tho this latter unaffordable for the club).  

Unreal times for Lichties (tho I enjoyed the early/mid 70s former peak) we are in - long may they continue

All good suggestions. I’m sure this new appointment will see more inventive ideas coming in.

I would like to see a ticket hut/window for purchasing paper tickets on match day. There are definitely people out there who would like to go to games but don’t have the technology or can’t be bothered with the current system. My dad for one.

Have the club ever thought about selling some kind of Smokie products in the pie stalls/huts? It’s one of the big things the town is famous for. A Smokie pie might not be very nice but there must be some way of preparing them so that it’s practical and easy to eat and dispose of.

More advertising and match-day promotion around town - businesses, noticeboards, shops, pubs, schools etc. Any public building really.

How about trying a free/cheap shuttle bus from points around town. Gayfield is on the edge of town and this might put some off going, particularly in inclement weather.

Move the current camera gantry to the terrace roof or back of the main stand. It’s great being in the seaside terrace when we’re shooting towards the harbour, but a big chunk of the pitch is obscured due to the gantry, especially with the fact that the front of it is covered in advertising boards.

Having said all of this, the way it is currently is night and day compared to when I was young and living in the town. Unless you were a committed fan, you would never have known there was a game on most weeks.

Used to have to check the herald or old website (mind that 😂) but now I think social media etc has played a huge part on spreading the word and getting people involved. I felt like the only bairn going to games when I was in secondary we are stowed out with kids at games now. 

Some decent ideas there. Quite like the sound of planting some kind of tree barrier 😂 although no idea if it would actually work or not. 

But yeah this commercial director thing is intriguing me. Because he’s actually left Dundee United by choice so wondering what exactly the role entails.

Edited by 1320Lichtie