The Arbroath Thread

49 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I don’t think Hibs are very average at all. Granted they’ve been on a bad run but they’re definitely one of the better sides in the division.

Agree that we need to massively strengthen if we go up. I know this will be unpopular with some but there are a few in our squad that are miles away from Premiership quality. One in particular was glaringly obvious today.

Bearing in mind the F/T v P/T aspect I thought we played really well overall. As for the 3 goals, the 1st was gifted, and the other 2 should have been dealt with. Totally agree with you, today highlighted a couple of weak areas that would have to be addressed if we were to move up.

52 minutes ago, Old Timer said:

Bearing in mind the F/T v P/T aspect I thought we played really well overall. As for the 3 goals, the 1st was gifted, and the other 2 should have been dealt with. Totally agree with you, today highlighted a couple of weak areas that would have to be addressed if we were to move up.

You wont get promoted Plastic Whistle will beat you in the play off.

3 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

You despair because some wanted earlier subs or are pointing out that we would need to strengthen the squad if we go up? Both very valid points imo. Are you saying that no one is allowed to say anything remotely critical of the team or individuals or tactics or subs? We just have to praise everything?

I think this season has been unbelievably brilliant, comfortably the best in my 44+ years of going to Gayfield. The players and management have been superb, and deserve all the credit and praise they’re getting - doesn’t mean we can’t have a wee moan or a bit of constructive criticism every so often.

Whilst I agree about being constructive and having an opinion, every time I have a wee moan or gripe about something at a game I automatically feel like an idiot due to how unbelievably brilliant this group of players have been for our club over the past few years. 

On 13/02/2022 at 17:29, lichtie23 said:

I despair at our support sometimes. Top of the league, matched Hibs for decent spells today and the best squad of players we have had at Gayfield in recent history but their is always something to criticise 

Football fans are a fickle bunch.

Edited by Leicesterlichtie

Disappointed but not really surprised to lose to Hibs yesterday. They look like they’re finding some form now under Maloney.
Still plenty of positives from the game. Jack Hamilton and Craig Wighton are looking like a partnership that will really trouble Championship defences.
A good break now should see us back in the groove at Dumfries.

Think we lost the game in the final 20 minutes - until then we were creating chances and holding firm in defence.

Hibs are a quality team - they are in the top 5 big clubs in Scotland ( next to old firm , Aberdeen and Hearts).

On their day Hibs can beat the old firm - so lets keep things in perspective.

We could have been 2-0 up in the first half and this might have changed how things played out.

Overall, I thought every player gave everything  and put in a great shift they had and should be proud of their performance.

Prior to Hibs scoring their 2nd goal I think some of our players were starting to tire and was surprised the subs were not introduced until the game was effectively over.

The match also took me back to my youth, when Arbroath were in the old first division, it was great to see a big crowd at Gayfield and has given the players and fans a taste of what it would be like playing the top league.

Overall a great fighting performance from the players and now it's time to fully focus on winning our next match, each game at a time.

I think playing Hibs will have made everyone even more determined to push ahead for the league title.

I have no complaints they’re a really good side on their day they’ve not had many of they days recently but against lesser opposition in us it come together for them. We had our chances too and it wasn’t our day 

The only thing I’ll complain about and will do every week is Nicky Low wide left. It’s infuriating for me personally 

Absolute no complaints from me in regards Sunday's game against Hibs, we competed well and scored against them plus had other great opportunities to score again so well done to the players for that as Hibs (who looked good) knew they were in a hard game.

This is only observations and not a complaint but i think we should have brought the subs on earlier as because of the heavy schedule we have had lately it was clear to see some of our players were "blawn oot their erses" at about the 70-75 minute mark and i would have made 3 or 4 changes then including bringing Bobby Linn on to attack their full backs and went for it as we had nothing to lose imo as this was a free hit for us.

As has been said by many others Nicky Low is a central midfielder but i also think he needs a terrier midfielder who is good in the air next to him.

Well done lads and now back to normal business.

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.