The Arbroath Thread

We need to work out a way to keep a hold of the football. We are making it too hard for ourselves.

We’re perfectly capable too but we need to look to actively start doing that more often, if that means rolling it back to Gaston more or whatever so be it but we cannot continue to just lump it when we get it, just ends up with it consistently coming back at us 

Not sure if its a sign of pressure or just the changes in our team but we’re nowhere near our best. That said it was a battling performance yesterday and i’d take 8 more of those to win the league [emoji1145][emoji1145][emoji1145]

We need to work out a way to keep a hold of the football. We are making it too hard for ourselves.

We’re perfectly capable too but we need to look to actively start doing that more often, if that means rolling it back to Gaston more or whatever so be it but we cannot continue to just lump it when we get it, just ends up with it consistently coming back at us 

100% this.

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

It’s 3 Man of the Match awards in a row for Chris Hamilton after winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties 1-0 win over Dunfermline at Gayfield yesterday. Yet again the on loan Hearts midfielder was superb in the heart of the Arbroath midfield. What a signing he has been. Thanks to all who voted 🇱🇻

660A9A17-5A2E-4584-812A-D5CB1970D34A.jpeg

At this point in the league where we have 8 games to go (all Cup Finals) and at this moment it is still in our own hands to make history then we all have to applaud EVERYBODY connected with Arbroath Football Club as what they have done this season is unbelievable especially being the only part time club in the league.

If we do not win the league or go up to the SPL via the play-offs this will still go down as a successful season for the club so in a funny sort of way there is not the same type of pressure on us as there is on your Killies/ICT's/Particks etc..

In regards the debate on full time/part time argument that comes up all the time i still stand by my views there is a difference albeit not at the same level as in the 70's/80's/90's etc as the gap is so much closer now in terms of fitness but i think part of the reason recently we have not been at our best and having periods of "backs to the wall for 10-15 minutes periods in games" is since we have been playing 3 games a week on heavy pitches (remember one of those games was a tough shift in peeing rain against SPL Hibs) we are starting to tire earlier with heavy legs and this is totally understandable given the last few months heavy game period so to come through that picking up points is a superb achievement to the Management/Coaching Team/and all the players.

Some fans really need to take a reality check to where we once was and where we are now and some are way over the top in being over critical, yes it is okay to have views but to shout abuse to a player when you can clearly see "his legs are gone and needs subbed" is unbelievable (and it did happen at the Partick game last week).

Totally agree we are missing someone like Nicky Low in the middle of midfield to put their foot on the ball and slow the game down and pick out a pass but if he is injured or not match fit then we have to try and make a formation to work and up to now we are still top of the league so regardless if we are not playing pretty football DC and the Crew are doing something right!!

I DO think the Gaffer had players playing in the wrong position yesterday (imo Goldie should have been at R/B, Stewart at R/M, Hendo at C/M, Bobby at L/M) but DC changed it at half time and we got the result PLUS missed 3 GREAT CHANCES TO SCORE again so absolute no complaints from me.

WELL DONE THE RED LICHTIES and lets enjoy the ride while it lasts, 36-0.  

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

I see it differently, I have never liked Gold at right back or in a wide area.  If there is a space for him in our team it would always be as a spoiler / runner in the middle of the park, he also has the energy to get into the box (like he did for the goal). At full back, he lacks in his use of the ball / distribution. 

If Thomson was fit enough to be on be on bench he probably should’ve started. I thought Bobby was poor yesterday so maybe go back to Stewart, Mckenna, Hamilton, Hendo with Wighton and Hamilton up front next week. 

42 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

I see it differently, I have never liked Gold at right back or in a wide area.  If there is a space for him in our team it would always be as a spoiler / runner in the middle of the park, he also has the energy to get into the box (like he did for the goal). At full back, he lacks in his use of the ball / distribution. 

If Thomson was fit enough to be on be on bench he probably should’ve started. I thought Bobby was poor yesterday so maybe go back to Stewart, Mckenna, Hamilton, Hendo with Wighton and Hamilton up front next week. 

Bobby got yesterday what Scott Stewart has been getting for weeks, if teams see no threat coming down the other side, they double up, wee Hammy should have started at RB with Stewart in front of him, Bobby on the left and Hendo and Goldie centre mid

1 hour ago, ecto said:

Bobby got yesterday what Scott Stewart has been getting for weeks, if teams see no threat coming down the other side, they double up, wee Hammy should have started at RB with Stewart in front of him, Bobby on the left and Hendo and Goldie centre mid

Not sure about that - Hammy with Linn in front of him gives me the fear. Pretty much every goal we’ve conceded recently has been from down that wing (2 x Hamilton, 3 x Hibs and you could argue Partick’s too) Henderson has done a good job in improving us defensively on that side.

42 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Not sure about that - Hammy with Linn in front of him gives me the fear. Pretty much every goal we’ve conceded recently has been from down that wing (2 x Hamilton, 3 x Hibs and you could argue Partick’s too) Henderson has done a good job in improving us defensively on that side.

But pretty much offers nothing going forward, teams can see that, if the left side is exposed, the deep lying CM should be moving out there to give extra cover

3 minutes ago, ecto said:

But pretty much offers nothing going forward, teams can see that, if the left side is exposed, the deep lying CM should be moving out there to give extra cover

Yeah it’s a tough one but our left was terribly exposed for a few weeks so tightening it up was critical imo. Interestingly though, our last two goals have come from our left side so we must be offering something there.

Yeah it’s a tough one but our left was terribly exposed for a few weeks so tightening it up was critical imo. Interestingly though, our last two goals have come from our left side so we must be offering something there.

You’d think Bakare would be an option, but only Dick knows.

2 home games midweek v Hamilton and Partick Thistle. 2 Friday night TV games against the team that would take the largest away crowd through here. No derby to speak of in this division and yet..... we are only 165 people a game off being the 4th best supported team in the second tier. This is great. 

EA11B638-5682-4AC2-88A2-182328A15326.jpeg

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

2 home games midweek v Hamilton and Partick Thistle. 2 Friday night TV games against the team that would take the largest away crowd through here. No derby to speak of in this division and yet..... we are only 165 people a game off being the 4th best supported team in the second tier. This is great. 

EA11B638-5682-4AC2-88A2-182328A15326.jpeg

Also take into account that we only had a 500 limit for the new year game v ICT which would probably have had 2000+ without the restrictions.

If we’re still in the mix right to the wire then I think our average will increase a fair bit.