The Arbroath Thread

13 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Also take into account that we only had a 500 limit for the new year game v ICT which would probably have had 2000+ without the restrictions.

If we’re still in the mix right to the wire then I think our average will increase a fair bit.

Forgot about that. So that’s 5 of our 14 home games affected. 

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

2 home games midweek v Hamilton and Partick Thistle. 2 Friday night TV games against the team that would take the largest away crowd through here. No derby to speak of in this division and yet..... we are only 165 people a game off being the 4th best supported team in the second tier. This is great. 

EA11B638-5682-4AC2-88A2-182328A15326.jpeg

What was the crowd at Gayfield for the Dunfermline game on Saturday past as there was no crowds given in the Sunday newspapers yet there was nearly 2,400 announced at the game and a phantom crowd given in today's Courier??

9 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

What was the crowd at Gayfield for the Dunfermline game on Saturday past as there was no crowds given in the Sunday newspapers yet there was nearly 2,400 announced at the game and a phantom crowd given in today's Courier??

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That table. Jesus, what's happened to Queens (as if we didn't know). Bar one season we've been in the championship for 20 years now and we've never had figures down there. When we won the third tier in 2002 we had over 6,000 at Palmerston for our final game against Morton!

Sorry to digress, and I so hope you guys win the league. I think the point I was going to make was that of course you will get decent crowds now on the run in, that's entirely natural given the feel good factor and I so hope the town will turn out to catch a bit of history hopefully in the making. Sustaining that level of attendance going forwards could be harder though.

Sadly I think things are a bit different now even compared to 2002 and Queens probably wouldn't have near 6k in Palmerston even if we were top of the league like Arbroath are these days ... instead of staring into the abyss as we are.

The attendance chart is interesting - Dunfermline is the biggest club in the league in terms of population (58,000 ), followed by Raith ( 49,000) and Kilmarnock (47,000).

Arbroath is the smallest town (25,000) - so it's a great effort by the town rallying round to support the club and the away support is also impressive.

Now, 8 games to wrap the league up.

C'mon the 'broath.

15 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

2 home games midweek v Hamilton and Partick Thistle. 2 Friday night TV games against the team that would take the largest away crowd through here. No derby to speak of in this division and yet..... we are only 165 people a game off being the 4th best supported team in the second tier. This is great. 

Its also with noting that the attendance figures for Ayr and Kilmarnock will be slightly inflated due to the derbies this season (1 each due to a the crowd restricted first 1). The same will likely be true for Raith v Pars. Without that, Arbroath would likely be a bit closer to the top.

I mentioned it when we played at Gayfield earlier in the season, the increased crowd and atmosphere (segregation maybe helped) was great stuff. I remember there being some roar when the Arbroath goal went in. 

Very much looking forward to the trip up in a couple of weeks. Hopefully if the bully express gets us a result we will have already beaten killie the weekend before, so no love lost. 

11 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

That table. Jesus, what's happened to Queens (as if we didn't know). Bar one season we've been in the championship for 20 years now and we've never had figures down there. When we won the third tier in 2002 we had over 6,000 at Palmerston for our final game against Morton!

Sorry to digress, and I so hope you guys win the league. I think the point I was going to make was that of course you will get decent crowds now on the run in, that's entirely natural given the feel good factor and I so hope the town will turn out to catch a bit of history hopefully in the making. Sustaining that level of attendance going forwards could be harder though.

Sadly I think things are a bit different now even compared to 2002 and Queens probably wouldn't have near 6k in Palmerston even if we were top of the league like Arbroath are these days ... instead of staring into the abyss as we are.

Our average in this league before this season was about 1300-1400 when crowds were allowed in. This season without they 5 games being affected I think we’d be sitting at about 1800 potentially even more. In League 1 with minimal away crowds it was at 1000 and even when we were near the bottom of L2 it was about 750. Potential for this was always there 

10 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

I actually remember the day Dick was appointed, there were a few doubters (myself included) 

Aye I remember the short term appointment and some people wanting a younger guy in long term etc 

Football is a simple game and experience and being a man manager is so important

Best decision the club made. Well done to Christison

This could be wrong but I’m sure I heard that the BBC can only go to a ground twice a season, and we’ve had home games on twice against Killie. Meaning that if we can win the league on the last day of the season the BBC won’t be allowed to broadcast it