The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Onwards and upwards boys.

Let's get some points on the board this weekend.

Personally I wouldn't even be thinking about winning the championship now. A good solid play off position would be a fantastic achievement  !!

Completely agree. The pressure definitely got to us with sitting top for so long. Personally speaking, I feel a lot more relaxed now.

Let’s realistically aim for second place which is, as you say, a fantastic achievement and would give us a decent chance of making the playoff final.

If things do work out better than that then great but we need to stop obsessing over it.

Edited by Tattie36

No of course not and I certainly would rather be top than second. What I’m saying is that for the past few weeks everything and everyone surrounding the club has been obsessed with being top and winning the league, I’m convinced the pressure associated with this  has had a detrimental effect. Our dip in form and results has allowed a bit of a reality check. Of course we all want to win the league but second is a very real and achievable target. Concentrate on that first and foremost and hope upon hope that Killie slip up.

Edited by Tattie36

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

No of course not. What I’m saying is that for the past few weeks everything and everyone surrounding the club has been obsessed with being top and winning the league, I’m convinced the pressure associated with this  has had a detrimental effect. Our dip in form and results has allowed a bit of a reality check. Of course we all want to win the league but second is a very real and achievable target. Concentrate on that first and foremost and hope upon hope that Killie slip up.

Killie don't need to slip up. The title is still in our own hands.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

So “onwards and upwards” but don’t think about winning the title? 

Think its more to do with managing expectations at this stage. Also bringing the best out of the pretty tight group we have and helping them get over the line. 

1 hour ago, Biglichtie74 said:

Lost 1 game in the league since the 8th of January and folk have given up, 2 points behind with 7 games to play, absolutely all to play for , cba with these “2nd will do” people

Just think the nervousness on and off the park for the past few weeks has been palpable and a change of mindset might help.

27 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Just think the nervousness on and off the park for the past few weeks has been palpable and a change of mindset might help.

Dont get why people are nervous, this situation is a total free hit for us relax and enjoy.

The pressure’s been on the players & managers of Killie’s shoulders alone all season being the overwhelming favourites to win it. Not something that has been handled well until recently. It looks like since you won 1-0 in our last game you’ve tailed off though, picking up 6pts to our 13 in the last 5. It may be a sign of fatigue, nerves, or (and I genuinely don’t mean to be patronising here) returning to a more expected pts return based on previous seasons form?

You’ve guaranteed a playoff spot though, (cos Raith & Caley both aren’t good enough to capitalise now) so surely anything else is a bit of a free hit bonus and the league is still there to be won? Personally I think losing the two strikers in Jan was difficult to replace, esp when we brought in Lafferty & McInnes has got to grips with the squad. It’s fine margins though in this league and there’s certainly no freebies regardless of the fixture. 

Edited by Casual Observer

On 17/03/2022 at 19:50, keptie said:

Dont get why people are nervous, this situation is a total free hit for us relax and enjoy.

6 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Agree. 40 points and no relegation worries was our target. Every match now is a free hit. C’mon the Lichties.

I agree with all of this, we do not have the financial worries of most of the other teams in the league, playing in the championship next season is not going to effect us one bit, not sure that all teams can say that