The Arbroath Thread

So basically, WTF does the management see in Turan if most fans see he's utter garbage. Bird and McIntosh are always going to be the main striking options, so is it not worth having some sort of back up if there is an injury. Look at the groans about lack of cover in defence.

Do the two or three decent looking signings counteract the numpty squad additions?? Recruitment seems about 60/40 positive. Possibly going to rely on a couple of decent loans when they become available. 

Should the management and recruitment team be held accountable for signing pish players or not evidently getting suitable defensive reinforcements if we're in a bad league position come October by being moved on or given time to address the situation.

I would guess not, but have Little  and TOB become complacent with lack of competition for places or is age starting to have an impact on performance.

There are many questions as to why the team are poor just now. How long can fans wait for positive answers. 

7 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Well if its all about goals, why did we sell Shanks?

Turan absolutely has not looked "worse than hopeless" so far.  

I could see what Shanks could offer us, the guy was an absolute nuisance for centre halves to play against and he could take a goal.

Right now Turan offers nothing, he’s not got any qualities that will help the team out in any way. (once again, I hope I’m proved wrong 👍🏻)

Edited by 1320Lichtie

7 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Well if its all about goals, why did we sell Shanks?

Turan absolutely has not looked "worse than hopeless" so far.  

I'd be interested to hear what attributes of Turans game have impressed you 

Everyone is entitled to there own opinions, that's surely what a football forum is about, 

After last season and the poor start this season it's understandable for fans to be critical and worry, The squads a mess and some of the signing don't look good enough, I'd love to be wrong about Turan but be he hasn't shown one thing to be positive about, Norey hasn't had much a chance but he looks lost in the time he has had, Everyone was completely shocked at Jacobs being kept on, Allan was praised for looking sharp and a whole new player but if he will never fit in the way we play and is obviously on a decent wage, 

There been plenty praise with some of the other signings, but the squad is so unbalanced, no defensive cover, the performances against lower league opposition and erratic substitutions and tactics have given fans the right to worry,

Most of the summer signings have been very good - but each season all managers will inadvertently sign some players who were the wrong fit for the team - DC's signings in the main have been very good.

DC knows we need to sign a left back and also knows a couple of signings will need to be moved on.

We are short of players, but I'd rather wait for the right players than make a knee jerk signing.

I would expect around 4 new players arriving soon (mixture of loan and signed players).

I am not a fan of making personal comments on players who don't fit - it's not their fault - they will be moved on in January to lower league clubs if they don't improve.

We have a good squad, but as many have mentioned, we need cover for defence - I would expect this to be sorted soon.

Edited by clashcityrocker

27 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Most of the summer signings have been very good - but each season all managers will inadvertently sign some players who were the wrong fit for the team - DC's signings in the main have been very good.

DC knows we need to sign a left back and also knows a couple of signings will need to be moved on.

We are short of players, but I'd rather wait for the right players than make a knee jerk signing.

I would expect around 4 new players arriving soon (mixture of loan and signed players).

I am not a fan of making personal comments on players who don't fit - it's not their fault - they will be moved on in January to lower league clubs if they don't improve.

We have a good squad, but as many have mentioned, we need cover for defence - I would expect this to be sorted soon.

If we sign 4 players that’s a squad of 23 - that is mental and that is why people are making comments on why we signed certain players… 

Who would be moved on right now? Some clubs would want Allan but who else could realistically go 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

19 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

who else could realistically go 

Contracts can be cut short - often happens when things don't go to plan.

There will be lower league teams where these players would make a good contribution - would be a matter of DC discussing this with the players concerned and networking with suitable clubs ( I am not saying it will happen, but it's possible).

We could bring in 4 additional players between now and January - all depends on how many options DC thinks he needs for the new season (along with budget limitations).

I will be surprised if we don't make at least one more signing and bring in 2 loan players.

Edited by clashcityrocker

7 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Contracts can be cut short - often happens when things don't go to plan.

There will be lower league teams where these players would me a good contribution - would be a matter of DC discussing this with the players concerned and networking with suitable clubs ( I am not saying it will happen, but it's possible).

We could bring in 4 additional players between now and January - all depends on how many options DC thinks he needs for the new season (along with budget limitations).

I will be surprised if we don't make at least one more signing and bring in 2 loan players.

But we have a lot of good players and there is nobody I would actually want to move on other than 

Turan - not happening he’s just moved into the town 

Norey - not happening he’s just moved into the town 

Jacobs - not happening - we offered him a renewed deal 2 months ago 

Allan - he is only one who could realistically be moved on 

We wouldn’t want to move anyone else on, why would we want to move on any of -

Gaston 

Adams 

Little

ToB

Hamilton

Steele

Stowe

Balde

Gold 

McKenna

Slater

Stewart 

Dow 

Bird 

McIntosh

We would be silly to let any of them go - so if we do sign 2/3 players - which I agree we need - we could have a squad of 22. 11 players not playing every week, that is bad squad and budget management 

ETA - I have only said Norey because he is so far down and at the bottom of the pecking order in the most bloated area of the squad

Edited by 1320Lichtie

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

we have a lot of good players

Agreed - we have a very good squad.

Perhaps the players who don't fit and are unsuitable can be put out on loan to lower league clubs ( we did this last season with Shanks). 

We will need to bring in at least 3 new players - we can't continue playing with key players out of position and a make shift defence ( the league cup results are evidence of this).

18 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Agreed - we have a very good squad.

Perhaps the players who don't fit and are unsuitable can be put out on loan to lower league clubs ( we did this last season with Shanks). 

We will need to bring in at least 3 new players - we can't continue playing with key players out of position and a make shift defence ( the league cup results are evidence of this).

Any of that humble pie still going? DC is the manager and ultimately to blame for picking these players as part of his squad

Edited by Lichteeeeee

I just don’t buy this 21/22 squad being too big thing, I think that’s about a perfect number in the modern game.

It also doesn’t mean that 11 players are missing out every week. A match day squad is what, 18? With 4 or 5 subs likely to see game time means that no more than 3 or 4 guys would miss out altogether. What it means is that we have adequate numbers to cover for injuries/illness/rest/family commitments/suspensions/lack of form/international call ups (😆🤪) etc.

While a small, high quality squad is great in theory, we could easily be in a situation towards the end of the year where injuries and suspensions are racking up, add in winter colds and flu and we could be unable to even fill the bench. It happened last season, notably v QP and even just the other day. Even if everyone is fit and available, surely it’s better to have competition and 3-4 guys missing out than the embarrassment of not being able to field a full defence or fill the bench?

We also have to keep players (all players) on their toes, knowing that a dip in form could see them dropped for a hungry player snapping at their heels. Certain players in our team, particularly the defence, know that they’re almost undroppable no matter how poorly they play.

Imo we need two defenders (a dedicated left back and a utility player that can play all defensive positions) and a big b*****d sitting midfielder. If we can get that then I think we might be ok.

Season starts in 8 days though.

Edited by Tattie36

5 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I just don’t buy this 21/22 squad being too big thing, I think that’s about a perfect number in the modern game.

It also doesn’t mean that 11 players are missing out every week. A match day squad is what, 18? With 4 or 5 subs likely to see game time means that no more than 3 or 4 guys would miss out altogether. What it means is that we have adequate numbers to cover for injuries/illness/rest/family commitments/suspensions/lack of form/international call ups (😆🤪) etc.

While a small, high quality squad is great in theory, we could easily be in a situation towards the end of the year where injuries and suspensions are racking up, add in winter colds and flu and we could be unable to even fill the bench. It happened last season, notably v QP and even just the other day. Even if everyone is fit and available, surely it’s better to have competition and 3-4 guys missing out than the embarrassment of not being able to field a full defence or fill the bench?

We also have to keep players (all players) on their toes, knowing that a dip in form could see them dropped for a hungry player snapping at their heels. Certain players in our team, particularly the defence, know that they’re almost undroppable no matter how poorly they play.

Imo we need two defenders (a dedicated left back and a utility player that can play all defensive positions) and a big b*****d sitting midfielder. If we can get that then I think we might be ok.

Season starts in 8 days though.

Yeah you are probably right - maybe it’s just my OCD. 4 players sitting in the stand every week seems a bit messy though and obviously means more £.

A left back and a defensive midfield player who can play centre half too and I’ll be happy with the squad that’s been assembled. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

13 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

I see we are wearing our eyesore third kit on Saturday, should always wear home kit at home don't care if it's for charity or not. Maybe get a couple of Labradors in exchange to play in defence mind you.

I’d much rather that kit was our away kit if I’m honest. 
Im still of the opinion though that we don’t require 3 kits a season

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

But we have a lot of good players and there is nobody I would actually want to move on other than 

Turan - not happening he’s just moved into the town 

Norey - not happening he’s just moved into the town 

Jacobs - not happening - we offered him a renewed deal 2 months ago 

Allan - he is only one who could realistically be moved on 

We wouldn’t want to move anyone else on, why would we want to move on any of -

Gaston 

Adams 

Little

ToB

Hamilton

Steele

Stowe

Balde

Gold 

McKenna

Slater

Stewart 

Dow 

Bird 

McIntosh

We would be silly to let any of them go - so if we do sign 2/3 players - which I agree we need - we could have a squad of 22. 11 players not playing every week, that is bad squad and budget management 

ETA - I have only said Norey because he is so far down and at the bottom of the pecking order in the most bloated area of the squad

Would be surprised if Jacobs and Allan are not both gone by the end of the loan window, might have to eat a bit of cash to get them away, just cannot see them getting meaningful playing time

26 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

I see we are wearing our eyesore third kit on Saturday, should always wear home kit at home don't care if it's for charity or not. Maybe get a couple of Labradors in exchange to play in defence mind you.

I don’t understand why a team like Arbroath need to have a third kit. Get it’s for a good cause but surely sticking the charity buckets out side the ground would surely get more money in than the the shirts will? 

52 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A left back and a defensive midfield player who can play centre half too and I’ll be happy with the squad that’s been assembled. 

I think we are all broadly in agreement with this - between signing a new player and bringing in loans I think this will happen.

Also think a couple of players will get put out on loan.

Just a matter of waiting to hear on whose coming in - I'd rather wait a few weeks to avoid any rush decisions.

Overall I am pleased with the squad, with the exceptions which have been discussed.

2 minutes ago, Moorie said:

I don’t understand why a team like Arbroath need to have a third kit. Get it’s for a good cause but surely sticking the charity buckets out side the ground would surely get more money in than the the shirts will? 

We don’t NEED to do it but I can see why we do.

Not sure it’ll really make any difference in regards to anything other than giving people another option in what top they get - plus getting some good publicity.

So people think we generally have a good squad, but we need more players?  Is there going to come a point where people start demanding the management get the best out of the players we have, rather than operating a revolving door of swapping half a squad every window?

People want Scott Allan out, they have decided he is apparently the problem.  Scott Allan is not a bad player.  I would argue that we dont have any "bad" players in the squad.  It is up to the management to get the best out of the good players we have, and on that front, they have been falling woefully short for the last year.  

Maybe look at that, rather than demand yet more squad upheaval?