The Arbroath Thread

4 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Where has it been confirmed he is the new gaffer?

Its up on the official facebook page.

I'm happy enough I think.  Its not quite the sort of headline grabbing appointment some were hoping for, so its not a Kevin Thomson.  Nor is it a return for Petrie.

However, it seems a sensible enough appointment, and I'm happy to get behind the new management!

Edited by ExiledLichtie

Just now, ExiledLichtie said:

Its up on the official facebook page.

I'm happy enough I think.  Its not quite the sort of headline grabbing appointment some where hoping for, so its not a Kevin Thomson.  Nor is it a return for Petrie.

However, it seems a sensible enough appointment, and I'm happy to get behind the new management!

Good pals with McInnes I’m sure - hopefully he can send some help our way in January

McIntyre still going to have the same issues Dick had but from what I remember in the 2 games Cove played against us last year is that they had 2 massive centre halves and some physicality in middle of park. Longstaff and Dunne as two pacey wide men. 

Can't understand how guys like him can still get jobs at a decent level, fairplay if he proves me wrong but I just don't see this as a good appointment. Fair play if he proves me wrong.  Actually clocked Jimmy Boyle at our game on Saturday so the scouting has already started.

As I said in my last post, he wouldn’t have been my first choice but on reflection he may be just what we need. A young manager who played at a good level and who will have a lot of contacts in the game.

He’s actually got a decent enough track record at some relatively big clubs and the Cove situation last year has to be ignored as he was doing a pretty decent job. Cove fans just seemed to be in love with Hartley and no one else was good enough - that worked out well for them. McIntyre had them playing decent football and they would have stayed up comfortably imo if they’d kept him.

Don't expect swashbuckling, exciting football but I reckon he can put together a good, solid, hard to beat team, playing a rigid 442.

As I said already, possibly just what we need.

1 minute ago, AJ77 said:

Can't understand how guys like him can still get jobs at a decent level, fairplay if he proves me wrong but I just don't see this as a good appointment. Fair play if he proves me wrong.  Actually clocked Jimmy Boyle at our game on Saturday so the scouting has already started.

Why? 

He’s managed Dundee, Ross County, Morton, Dunfermline and Cove 

Why would he not be able to get a job in the Championship? His only disastrous spell was at Dundee. All of his other jobs he’s around a 40-45 percent win record with a title win and a League Cup win included 

If not the arse end of the Championship then what level should he be managing at? 

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

As I said in my last post, he wouldn’t have been my first choice but on reflection he may be just what we need. A young manager who played at a good level and who will have a lot of contacts in the game.

He’s actually got a decent enough track record at some relatively big clubs and the Cove situation last year has to be ignored as he was doing a pretty decent job. Cove fans just seemed to be in love with Hartley and no one else was good enough - that worked out well for them. McIntyre had them playing decent football and they would have stayed up comfortably imo if they’d kept him.

Don't expect swashbuckling, exciting football but I reckon he can put together a good, solid, hard to beat team, playing a rigid 442.

As I said already, possibly just what we need.

will mean a lot of fresh faces as we dont have the players to play 4-4-2

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Good pals with McInnes I’m sure - hopefully he can send some help our way in January

Great pals with McInnes. Think Jim was his assistant at Bristol City. He took in great loans for us; Max Johnston, Jack Sanders, Charlie Gilmour as well as getting Luis Longstaff and even plucking out Cieran Dunne.

On the whole his recruitment was solid. Blip being Gerry McDonagh and having a Barney with Rory who would have still contributed something in the Championship for us. Granted his time was limited.

I can see how Arbroath fans aren't particularly thrilled, we weren't either. He's not a warming personality but got contacts and his experience might be enough to keep you up which is the main aim at this stage I would imagine

Almost all manager appointments are high risk - sometimes the big name managers fail miserably - the board have rolled the dice and we need to rally round and support the new manager.

Not a "household" name appointment - but he has the experience, did well at both Dunfermline and Ross County and will feel he has a point to prove following his dismal at both Dens and Cove.

He arrives at Gayfield with a good squad of players -he will also have a budget for January signings.

If he can motivate the players and get their form back that would be a very good start.

Also new, exciting times for the fans, the players and board.

Positives: you’ll put out attacking lineups most of the time, and the team will play with wingers.  Billy Dodds, is by all accounts, an excellent forwards coach if he goes too.  Should be good for at least a goal  a game   

Negatives: your centre backs will bypass the wingers and your centre forward will spend most of the time running into positions your wingers should be.  At the first sign of trouble, your form will capitulate and seemingly there’s not a lot he can do about it.  Expect to lose a lot of goals to 1.  He’ll also play your best player out of position for no discernible reason.  

In short: he won the League Cup with Ross County.   The bloody league cup!   Which is ludicrous if you think about it.  But I would rank him arguable our third worst manager of all time, and one of those is a fat homophobe.   

You know what?   He might do okay.