The Arbroath Thread

6 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Think you will find ToB has been making some major mistakes the past 18 months. Constantly out of position by going on daft charges to the halfway line or out wide to challenge for a ball. Poor Ricky, Gold, Hammy etc have been left exposed and then went on to make their own mistakes.

Previos management just buried their heads in the sand as they were far too loyal to these players hence the lack of defensive signings.

My take was always the other way round.  I've spent the last 18 months sighing heavily every time I've seen Ricky Little cross the half way line, knowing that he was going to get caught out of position and that ToB was going to have to try and sweep up the entire back line.  I'm not saying ToB has been flawless by any means, but I don't think he's been our worst offender. 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That is an absolute sickener

However fully expected a hiding 

Don’t know what to think but hopefully isn’t too big a kick in the baws for the players. Would’ve given them a huge boost to end the run and take something there 

We needed that, we really did.  We needed to show that we could hang on and pick up points.  I felt that the team did everything right, especially considering its patchwork nature.  When you see us losing games like that, it just gives me the feeling that its not going to be our year.    I'm just absolutely gutted.  That is a heartbreaker.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

We played well. Didn’t deserve that but we have to defend better. We were the better team. Slater was poor, as was Hylton. Jacobs was very good. I don’t understand why he was taken off. TOB and Steele very good as was Stewart. Hammy quite off the pace but we have no options. Bird was good and McIntosh worked his heart out. Goldie’s job seemed to be pressing high but didn’t do much. Almost promising.  At least we seemed organised. 

4 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

We played well. Didn’t deserve that but we have to defend better. We were the better team. Slater was poor, as was Hylton. Jacobs was very good. I don’t understand why he was taken off. TOB and Steele very good as was Stewart. Hammy quite off the pace but we have no options. Bird was good and McIntosh worked his heart out. Goldie’s job seemed to be pressing high but didn’t do much. Almost promising.  At least we seemed organised. 

Can't really afford Jacobs on a booking as he's terrible for late tackles and the squad can't cope with a suspension. I think Slater is an okay player but his set pieces are an absolute abomination, tonight and Saturday we wasted every single set piece with his pish floaty deliveries. 

8 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

Hylton was our best threat tonight 

2 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Think both things can be true. But he was double marked, and sometimes triple marked at all times. Nobody apart from Hylton or Bird are capable of creating anything.

I was a bit surprised we didn’t bring on Stowe for Hylton just for something different.

Can't really fault the guys tonight, performances like that will give people something to be hopeful of,

One of the differences tonight was the subs, Raiths subs made them stronger and even though all ours were forced it perhaps made us weaker, although though Norrie done ok, 

Set pieces were a massive frustration tonight, and at the end we played the free kick into the corner to try and waste time and got countered on and that's the kinda goal you loose when your at the bottom, 

Tonight's link up play was very good - this, combined with closing down players and some neat passing was very encouraging.

We also defended well, looked well up for the match and as a unit looked really good and difficult to break down.

The players all put in a good shift and gave maximum effort - the result was a sore one to take.

However, on tonight's evidence we are edging close to collecting points - the players connected and their link up play was good.

A disappointing result - but a very good performance.

Decisions to be made, if we reach the halfway point with 12 points, board will have to decide whether we stick or twist, no point spaffing cash on players and still being relegated, or do we make a signing or two, b*****d for the midfield and a centre back and a left sided midfielder, on loan, if relegated we regroup and go again 

11 minutes ago, ecto said:

Decisions to be made, if we reach the halfway point with 12 points, board will have to decide whether we stick or twist, no point spaffing cash on players and still being relegated, or do we make a signing or two, b*****d for the midfield and a centre back and a left sided midfielder, on loan, if relegated we regroup and go again 

You've 22 games left to play, dont panic just yet, your only 5 points behind Airdrie with a game in hand 

I can't remember the last time I felt this scunnered by a last minute goal..... I guess Kilmarnock in that game. :( If we'd just been beaten 2/3-0 as most expected it'd just be shrugged off, but that was a real kick in the balls.

We definitely deserved something from the game, and the players put in a real shift over the 90 minutes. Cant particuarly fault anyone and if the game had ended a minute earlier we'd all be talking about the positives of such a performance and the point would've given the team a big lift after a bad run.

f**k sake :(

20 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

the point would've given the team a big lift after a bad run.

Regardless of tonight's result, tonight's performance will give the player's a big lift - they will know they played well and as the game went on you could witness how confident they were - their passing and link up play was very good.

We are close to collecting points - based on tonight's performance I don't think we will have too long to wait.

1 minute ago, clashcityrocker said:

Regardless of tonight's result, tonight's performance will give the player's a big lift - they will know they played well and as the game went on you could witness how confident they were - their passing and link up play was very good.

We are close to collecting points - based on tonight's performance I don't think we will have too long to wait.

Will it?  I honestly think it might have dealt us a body blow.  If we'd been pumped, we could have made the excuses, but to play that well and still get nothing from it?  That's going to leave a mark.