The Arbroath Thread

Happy with Jason Thomson and imo brings some more strength and height to our team, i think we will go with a back 4 with Thomson, Little, TOB and Hammy plus the new goalie that looks a strong defence.

I think with our midfield/front players we still have goals to go with a 4-4-2 and can easily change to a 3-5-2 if need be.

In regards Hester i also find it strange, i  would of certainly started the season with him on the bench and if we sign another striker or get a couple of loan players then put him out on loan then but i reckon we only have 15/16 players and that includes 2 goalies so if we get suspensions/injuries i reckon we would struggle to fill the bench.

I do believe Hester has goals in him and a good sub to bring on with 20-30 to go against tiring defences but to put him straight out on loan after given him a new deal i am struggling to work that out unless we are bringing in another striker as Doris will not be back until at least October and that is when we could have put Hester out and i would rather he went down a league to get more game time and should be easier to get goals.

So up to now some very good signings and hopefully one or two more to come.

Well done to the Management team and AFC Board for getting the feelgood factor back to the club since they arrived.

I agree. John Christison had drained the club of its passion. The connection between the support and the board is at an all time high

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I agree. John Christison had drained the club of its passion. The connection between the support and the board is at an all time high

I was not the previous chairman's biggest fan, but most of the current board including the present chairman, were also part of the board when Christison was chairman, so it is easy to look at the present, where everything appears to be rosie and dismiss the rest

15 minutes ago, ecto said:

I was not the previous chairman's biggest fan, but most of the current board including the present chairman, were also part of the board when Christison was chairman, so it is easy to look at the present, where everything appears to be rosie and dismiss the rest

Even more reason to think christison was the problem 

Very happy with the signing of Jason Thomson and as I have said before we're in a great position where we don't need to urgently add to the squad and we can hold off and wait for the players we want.

However, a lot depends on what our plan is for this year formation wise. I hope we stick with the 3-5-2 and play proper wingers as it suits us best. If we go to a flat 4-4-2 and try to play Swanks/ Whatley in a midfield 2 we'll get absolutely done in the centre of the park most weeks. Swanks obviously is a creative player as opposed to one who breaks things up, and Whatley simply doesn't break the play up/ win enough 50/ 50s to play that role by himself, hence why Scott Martin helped massively last year when he came in. Thomson can play in the centre, and it could be that we look to play him on the right side of a 3 with Little/ Hammy/ ToB, which of course gives us the option of moving ToB into a midfield role in a 3 potentially.

With the squad we have currently the positions I'd be looking to fill are a Scott Martin type central midfielder, a winger who can give us as much as Linn/ Denholm do, another striker and cover for the left back area that we've been missing for over a year now. Would be very surprised if we could get all 4 in, but if we can add a couple of these we'll hopefully be in a better position squad wise at the start of this season than the end of last season.

If you intend to stick with 3-5-2 then I’m afraid Jason Thomson won’t be a great signing. His presence in the team is what stopped us playing that way for years - well, that and having dour managers who only know 4-4-2.

Not good enough on the ball to play wing back. Covered centre back a few times for us and while he tried his best it’s not his position.

Play him at right back and I’m sure you’ll be very happy with him.

Arbroath vs Heart of Midlothian

We are delighted to announce our first pre-season friendly of the close season as we welcome Craig Levein's Heart of Midlothian to Gayfield on Tuesday 3rd July 2018 with a 7.30pm kick off.

It will be the Hearts first team who visit Gayfield and a real exciting game is promised for both sets of fans in maroon with the first chance to see new summer signings in action.

Season Tickets are valid and the admission rices will be as follows; £10 adult with £5 concessions.

More pre-season fixtures will be released soon, but we look forward to welcoming Hearts to Gayfield!

C'mon the Lichties!

Arbroath vs Hearts - small 2.jpg

Edited by Gayfield

If I was offered a proven 20 goal a season striker for the year or another pre season friendly away to Hill O' Beath I think anyone who was in attendance at our last friendly there knows what the preferred option would be.

It wouldn't cost us anymore to have a friendly away to a fife/ tayside junior or soon to be EoS team considering where the majority of our squad are based and as well as giving the team a good run out as needed in pre season, it'd give the fans a fun day out.....

Very happy with the signing of Jason Thomson and as I have said before we're in a great position where we don't need to urgently add to the squad and we can hold off and wait for the players we want.
However, a lot depends on what our plan is for this year formation wise. I hope we stick with the 3-5-2 and play proper wingers as it suits us best. If we go to a flat 4-4-2 and try to play Swanks/ Whatley in a midfield 2 we'll get absolutely done in the centre of the park most weeks. Swanks obviously is a creative player as opposed to one who breaks things up, and Whatley simply doesn't break the play up/ win enough 50/ 50s to play that role by himself, hence why Scott Martin helped massively last year when he came in. Thomson can play in the centre, and it could be that we look to play him on the right side of a 3 with Little/ Hammy/ ToB, which of course gives us the option of moving ToB into a midfield role in a 3 potentially.
With the squad we have currently the positions I'd be looking to fill are a Scott Martin type central midfielder, a winger who can give us as much as Linn/ Denholm do, another striker and cover for the left back area that we've been missing for over a year now. Would be very surprised if we could get all 4 in, but if we can add a couple of these we'll hopefully be in a better position squad wise at the start of this season than the end of last season.

The 2 best sides in the league last year played a 2 at times with Moffat and Vaughan dropping back and playing in the middle of the park, very similar to having Swankie playing there. I think he has changed his game a bit, if he’s fit don’t see why he couldn’t play in a two.

Whatley was box to box in the midfield 3 but he could easily be more disciplined and sit back a bit. No way we’ll get someone with the same energy or ability as Martin in there anyway. Maybe we will go for someone like Robertson afterall though who knows. Also if McKenna is playing off the striker he’d be able to drop in too.

If Gold is in the squad I really don’t think we need another defender now.

Agree about a winger and a striker, someone like Galt as another wide option. Upfront Doris won’t be back to his best for a while, Wallace has been ok but not scored regularly enough, Hester is away on loan and McIntosh is away too. Don’t know what the budget is like because we’ve got a lot of quality in the squad just now but Spence would be a cracker. Really not sure if that’s realistic or not though he’ll have a load of teams after him. Everyone in our league and the league below will be after him.

The club seem to be keeping quiet about the Pat Scullion signing.  I thought there would have been something on the club website about it. Ha she actually signed up?

The registration window doesn’t open until June 10th and in a bid to keep competition (Mainly from the East of Scotland League) away from Pat, the club are trying to keep it quiet. And I also think he’s up north working the roads for BEAR Scotland with Arbroath36.0! Just now.