The Arbroath Thread

IMG_5810.jpg.b8fd7e1f4ad8ebecb100d7a19a5dbc85.jpg Gayfield rated 6th best pitch in League 1 in PFA vote. Not bad, but has the standard slipped a bit in recent years? My boyhood memory is of a bowling green surface. Typical mis-remembering of a Golden past I imagine.

I don’t think so anyway, I’d maybe guess it was mainly due to the weather. We can now get games played in bad conditions that might’ve been called off before, which ends up leaving the pitch in a worse state than it would’ve been.

When weathers been fine the pitch has been looking great.

The pitch has paid the price from when we allowed Dundee/Aberdeen play development matches on it.

The continuous wear and tear can take years to sort when you're doing it on a budget.

I played on it at the TASC funday and a bobble totally robbed me of a goal.

IMG_5810.jpg.b8fd7e1f4ad8ebecb100d7a19a5dbc85.jpg Gayfield rated 6th best pitch in League 1 in PFA vote. Not bad, but has the standard slipped a bit in recent years? My boyhood memory is of a bowling green surface. Typical mis-remembering of a Golden past I imagine.
Two of the pitches above us are fake so that chart can go in the sea as far as I'm concerned.

Am with you, back in the day we did have one of the best playing surfaces in Scotland, being played on every week, as the reserves played on it on a Saturday afternoon when the 1st team played away, fixtures were reversed in these days

Am with you, back in the day we did have one of the best playing surfaces in Scotland, being played on every week, as the reserves played on it on a Saturday afternoon when the 1st team played away, fixtures were reversed in these days
The drainage seems to have suffered after the works at the sea wall for some reason. We put in artificial surface along that touchline for the linesman due to it being so boggy on that side.

I would say that I don’t remember the seaside of the ground being so boggy and wet when I was younger, it was even still wet when the supporters played on it after some brilliant weather that weekend. 

I would say that I don’t remember the seaside of the ground being so boggy and wet when I was younger, it was even still wet when the supporters played on it after some brilliant weather that weekend. 

That your excuse for being so slow tracking back?

What do people see as our aim for this season? Play offs again or a challenge for the title?

I feel like our squad is a good bit stronger than it was at the start of last season when we aimed for top 4, so that has to be minimum aim this year and anything less is a bit of a failure. I'd like to see us make a good go of challenging for the title to be honest, however I do think the division will be stronger than last year below us although obviously that effects everyone in the league.

I'm fairly hopeful/ expectant that we can be up there challenging alongside Raith..... obviously there's 3 months of signings to go until squads are finalised but we have to be looking up not down in my opinion. I'm delighted Alloa went up, as they had our number last year and we couldn't play against them..... would have been more certain of them finishing above us than any other team if they were still here.

What do people see as our aim for this season? Play offs again or a challenge for the title?
I feel like our squad is a good bit stronger than it was at the start of last season when we aimed for top 4, so that has to be minimum aim this year and anything less is a bit of a failure. I'd like to see us make a good go of challenging for the title to be honest, however I do think the division will be stronger than last year below us although obviously that effects everyone in the league.
I'm fairly hopeful/ expectant that we can be up there challenging alongside Raith..... obviously there's 3 months of signings to go until squads are finalised but we have to be looking up not down in my opinion. I'm delighted Alloa went up, as they had our number last year and we couldn't play against them..... would have been more certain of them finishing above us than any other team if they were still here.

4th a minimum, hope for winning it, would be happy with being close to the winners and up through play-offs

4th a minimum, hope for winning it, would be happy with being close to the winners and up through play-offs

That would be my aspiration too. We do need some reinforcements. I expect Yule to go up a level in his second season with us, maybe taking the Martin role. Need another left back, another top striker and a creative midfielder.

I'd rather not go anywhere near pinning us the championship. Too much pressure to even talk about that. Hitting playoffs yes, and if you power on with that yes you can take the title.

So many derbies I suspect will be detrimental to all the Angus sides.