All things Dundee FC

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Carolina Port was our home for 6 year until 1899. I don't think it's a fair comparison to our 118 years at Dens. Certainly no one alive would share the same sentiment anyways!

I agree, Dens, and in particular the Derry is crumbling. I understand that for us to be a self sufficient club a new stadium makes the most financial sense. Doesn't mean I agree with the move though. Sentimentality wins out for me, I'd rather have an anchor pinning us down than sell out for a new stadium and having say the sort of success that St Johnstone currently enjoy.

It's not a tradeoff I'd be interested in. I totally get that's craziness to a neutral or to maybe even some Dundee fans, but Dens Park is part of Dundee FC to me and to leave it, takes some of the specialness away for me.

It does really piss me off how this whole situation has (mostly - the 10k seater rule played a part too) been so self inflicted by the consistent shite operation of the club. We have been blessed with a site in Dens that with gradual investment, could have been the perfect stadium for a club like ours. I suppose, in some ways, it's a similar situation to what Aberdeen are seeing now as they pretty much neglected the main infrastructure for so long and are being forced into action.

I think what would be pretty impressive is that, if we do pull this off very well, we'll have brilliant training facilities on the doorstep and that's something that no club (exception of Aberdeen in their plans too) in Scotland have apart from the odd 3G pitch which is mostly rented out. To have all operations running from the same location and a real home for the whole club is something which can only be a good thing. The youth teams seem pretty far away from the club at times apart from a few ceremonial occasions. How much we make of such an arrangement is always going to be down to management at that time but it gives us a great starting point.

A hundred more years at Camperdown is more likely to be a catalyst for future success and growth as a club than a hundred years at Dens. I get the whole emotional argument and it doesn't sit easy myself but long-term, I think pains will ease and it could increase the size of the club.

9 minutes ago, harry94 said:

It does really piss me off how this whole situation has (mostly - the 10k seater rule played a part too) been so self inflicted by the consistent shite operation of the club. We have been blessed with a site in Dens that with gradual investment, could have been the perfect stadium for a club like ours. I suppose, in some ways, it's a similar situation to what Aberdeen are seeing now as they pretty much neglected the main infrastructure for so long and are being forced into action.

I think what would be pretty impressive is that, if we do pull this off very well, we'll have brilliant training facilities on the doorstep and that's something that no club (exception of Aberdeen in their plans too) in Scotland have apart from the odd 3G pitch which is mostly rented out. To have all operations running from the same location and a real home for the whole club is something which can only be a good thing. The youth teams seem pretty far away from the club at times apart from a few ceremonial occasions. How much we make of such an arrangement is always going to be down to management at that time but it gives us a great starting point.

A hundred more years at Camperdown is more likely to be a catalyst for future success and growth as a club than a hundred years at Dens. I get the whole emotional argument and it doesn't sit easy myself but long-term, I think pains will ease and it could increase the size of the club.

Got to say I agree Harry - I'd have loved to see one of the so called investors over my lifetime have done what they promised and made Dens what it could've been but its so far gone now (& not even ours) that it couldn't be affordable for a club our size to re-develop the site.

Like Dee Man says tho, I'll still be greetin like Hooly at the doon derby at our last game...

Just spotted Bob Hynds involved in the design - is he not the architect that left the drainage out of Dixons ice rink plan?

Edited by locheedee

36 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

If they are going to build a new stadium, any chance of a standing area like they have at Celtic?

There shouldn't be any cost constraints as doing it from scratch would cost the same either way. No rule issues with the rule book either.

When we actually see the stadium design next year, it's definitely something we should be lobbying for big time. It's much safer to have a designated standing area rather than people standing in seating areas. In a 15k stadium, there really shouldn't be an issue allowing a couple of thousand for that purpose.

Edited by harry94

I understand we need to move stadium. But I very much doubt we will see the scenes of the derry after we move and I will miss that very much. Could we all just take a moment to appreciate the greatest stand in Scottish football in this video...

Thank you

4 minutes ago, K.T said:

I understand we need to move stadium. But I very much doubt we will see the scenes of the derry after we move and I will miss that very much. Could we all just take a moment to appreciate the greatest stand in Scottish football in this video...

Thank you

Thats the very heart string that will break when we move that your tugging on there KT

Awesome scenes though...

Thank you

There's no place for being sentimental here when we're chucking away 500k a year on the stadium up-keep/rental, time to move on if we want to progress, and finally destroy the arab connections with this city. Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

There's no place for being sentimental here when we're chucking away 500k a year on the stadium up-keep/rental, time to move on if we want to progress, and finally destroy the arab connections with this city. Thank you.

You're right, sir. It'll still be a sad day though.

6 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Ach at least if you move you will no longer be in the Arabs shadows.

Apart form that your stadium is what it was built on --- a dump.

File this c**t under 'boring St Johnstone posters who nobody gives a f**k about.'

First Aberdeen and now Dundee. f**k me sideways. Look at the state of that stadium. A dark blue Almondvale on the outskirts of Dundee. Might as well kiss goodbye to pub lunches in Trades and pints in town when it's away day. Might as well get off the train in Invergowrie. Tragic.

16 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

First Aberdeen and now Dundee. f**k me sideways. Look at the state of that stadium. A dark blue Almondvale on the outskirts of Dundee. Might as well kiss goodbye to pub lunches in Trades and pints in town when it's away day. Might as well get off the train in Invergowrie. Tragic.

Kin still hae yir ploomins lunch in the beefeater min. Jist dump the land rover and dugs there tae n tak a stride up the road ken eh!

My current 30 minute walk up to Dens is about to be replaced by either a 90 minute walk or over an hour of bus journeys (probably costing about a fiver). Gutted isnae even the word.

I'm not that bothered by the idea of moving stadium in and of itself, but why the f**k do they have to put it over at the shite end of the city to be surrounded by Industrial Estates, a country park, and fucking Dryburgh?