All things Dundee FC

21 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

If Neilson gets outsmarted to a league title by James McPake, he should quit football altogether and go to uni or some shit.

He just got outsmarted by a PE teacher. Maybe he should pack it in now. 

2 hours ago, Moo said:

End of the day, if it was between having McPake and Strachan or Goodwin by himself then we’ve 100% made the right decision.

But wouldn't XXX and Strachan be a better choice?  I'm not sure McPake getting the gig would have been a prerequisite for Strachan to come aboard.

Can someone please summarise how I should feel about this? One part of me thinks this will be a disaster - novice manager with no first team managerial experience taking charge of a team in a notoriously difficult league. Another part reckons this Jazza could be decent - he's not going to take any nonsense and WGS and Jimmy Nicholl supporting him could be a great team. 

I just hope that Nelms is doing this for the right reasons rather than because he sees Jazza as someone who will agree with him and who will, presumably, be paid less than Goodwin would have been (albeit any salary saving will be offset by the potential recruitment of WGS). 

Ma heid's in a spin. 

End of the day, if it was between having McPake and Strachan or Goodwin by himself then we’ve 100% made the right decision. McPake wasn’t my first choice, neither was Goodwin but I’d give them my full support who ever is in charge.
But Goodwin made the decision to pull out, not Dundee? If i have read the situation correctly.

This is textbook Dundee though [emoji23]. It was never going to be straight forward.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Strachan's footballing insight into his failure with Scotland was "the players are too small"...

Good luck with his transfer targets...

He also thinks that abuse from the stands aimed at footballers convicted of child sexual grooming is the same as racial abuse.  He's a moron.

But wouldn't XXX and Strachan be a better choice?  I'm not sure McPake getting the gig would have been a prerequisite for Strachan to come aboard.

I don’t really know tbh. This appointment will either be a successful one or an absolute disaster. I hope it’s the former as I wouldn’t like to see McPake leave the club.

End of the day I want to see my team do well and that’s for us to be in the top league and actually competing in all competitions. Last few seasons haven’t been enjoyable and loss after loss takes its toll on you.

I’m actually looking forward to a few decent away days in this league, a derby and hopefully winning most weeks instead of loss after loss like last season.

13 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

But Goodwin made the decision to pull out, not Dundee? If i have read the situation correctly.

This is textbook Dundee though emoji23.png. It was never going to be straight forward.

I'm finding the Goodwin situation a little weird - bear in mind he withdrew from the race to take over the Saints job last summer, too (though possibly knew Ross would be a tough act to follow).

On the surface, the Dundee job looks pretty desirable - he'll have a larger budget than most of the rest of the league, but isn't being asked to step up a level in terms of what division he's in, even though expectations would rightly be higher. He'd be given the chance to f**k United, and to f**k Morten again. What's not to like?

I refuse to believe he hasn't got the hunger to go full-time.

Then I keep seeing the 'Oran's away' rumours refusing to budge and I do find myself wondering if JG's hanging out for that job. Even then, if it's true he didn't want to work under a DoF @ Dundee, then I've got some bad news on that front, too... :unsure2:

22 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm finding the Goodwin situation a little weird - bear in mind he withdrew from the race to take over the Saints job last summer, too (though possibly knew Ross would be a tough act to follow).

On the surface, the Dundee job looks pretty desirable - he'll have a larger budget than most of the rest of the league, but isn't being asked to step up a level in terms of what division he's in, even though expectations would rightly be higher. He'd be given the chance to f**k United, and to f**k Morten again. What's not to like?

I refuse to believe he hasn't got the hunger to go full-time.

Then I keep seeing the 'Oran's away' rumours refusing to budge and I do find myself wondering if JG's hanging out for that job. Even then, if it's true he didn't want to work under a DoF @ Dundee, then I've got some bad news on that front, too... :unsure2:

Allegedly Goody wanted control of team affairs and not just be a coach but be the manager. Dundee appear to want WGS to control the playing side and the 'manager' will effectively be a first team coach. Not a good setup as when things go tits up the manager is the one who is sacked.

I was surprised to see the Courier being so convinced Goodwin had the job. Surely the paper can't have form for that sort of thing, can it?

What? Two years ago today, you say?!

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/438584/analysis-dundee-target-jack-ross-paul-hartley-mk-ii/

Imagine being the journalist who dedicated 1,000 words to profiling a manager who hadn't signed on yet. What an absolute rag :lol:

2 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

but he took over from Ross at Alloa ! ?

Think that was me you were quoting there. Sorry, I should have elaborated - namely that we were in a bit of a mess at the club, expectations were high after scooshing the Championship, and the squad wasn't in great shape. It was more following the job that Ross had done for us, more than following Ross as an individual. :thumsup2

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Think that was me you were quoting there. Sorry, I should have elaborated - namely that we were in a bit of a mess at the club, expectations were high after scooshing the Championship, and the squad wasn't in great shape. It was more following the job that Ross had done for us, more than following Ross as an individual. :thumsup2

no it was Northbank..

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Stubbs and the slavering Chick Young went on about that but it was a bit of a fallacy. In the play off finals we had Paul McGinn, Baird, MacKenzie, Stephen McGinn, Mullen and Flynn all of whom Stubbs wanted to bin (idiot that he is). He only wanted to keep Magennis out of that final day squad. We had the foundations of a solid team from a squad that won the Championship when we were 14 points above Livi. All we had to do was bring in another 8 decent players to build on what we had and not dismantle the whole friggin lot. The guys that Stubbs did not want all proved him totally wrong.