All things Dundee FC

36 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Allegedly Goody wanted control of team affairs and not just be a coach but be the manager. Dundee appear to want WGS to control the playing side and the 'manager' will effectively be a first team coach. Not a good setup as when things go tits up the manager is the one who is sacked.

Strachan might be planning to do a Levein.

4 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Gutted.

Liked McPake a lot. He's definitely not ready but let's see. Hope for the best and all that. 

He seems a good guy (and has a strong Coventry connection). Looked like he was really feeling it in that last game against us, and he had you in way better nick than I was expecting.

Right, I'm going to leave your thread alone now - see you in the Premiership in 2020. 

10 minutes ago, SpiderDee said:

I think the fact that McPake and Nichol have been given "rolling contracts" may also give another slant on why Goodwin didn't take the job. He apparently has quite a lucrative job outside of football and the word down here was that he was looking for a bit of security and was looking for a 2-3 year deal which clearly was a route that Dundee, quite understandably being a rookie manager didn't want to go down. Just a theory but perfectly plausible. 

At least if it does all go tits up with McPake then he will be easy enough to dispense with unlike us with Foran when we handed him a four year deal :lol:

You've out spent half the top flight and failed on two occasions each season to play your way out of the Championship, all the while your fans (like you, from outside Dundee) wept like 4 year olds on national television. 
Just remember who put you there next time your mummies drying your eyes, honey. x

Whilst i agree with your sentiment, you have a top 6 budget and got relegated. So are you really in a position to gloat?

We have a few exceptional young talents coming through from the youth team. Boys who are being tipped to move onto much bigger things than Dundee. They will all be involved in the first team next season. McPake has been heavily involved in their development and is very popular with the young players. So it makes sense from that angle. With a couple of older coaches involved to guide McPake through I think it is a good appointment. A lot will depend on which players we bring in though. Nelms has already said he will give the new manager a budget to win the league. Let's hope we make the right choices this time.

Are we only looking at guys called James on their birth certificate from now on? Jim McIntyre, Jim Goodwin, James McPake and Jimmy Nicholl. 

It's an unusual strategy but by the law of averages we'll get it right eventually. Hopefully it's the latter two. 

To many Jim's, Jimmy's, and James's .

Serious question, why the hell was Jimmy Boyle sacked? By all accounts, he was doing a good job?

So why has he, effectively been replaced by Jimmy Nicholl? At least McPake worked along side Boyle for a couple of years. Has he ever worked with Nicholl, does he know him, or have they even met before now?

Sacking Boyle would've also cost a bit of dosh.

Strange going ons. Honestly think Dundee have screwed this/these appointments up.

dabs and fermers wetting themselves over mcpake. he has to start somewhere give the guy a chance. i’m glad we didn’t go for the usual dinosaurs in scottish football. hopefully strachan comes in and is a help. good luck to mcpake. mon the dee’s