All things Dundee FC

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Which was entirely their choice. It isn't forced labour, nor should it go unappreciated. 

Absolutely. Won't see me disagreeing.

The great thing of being in a dundee fan, if we were ever to go into administration again nobody should ever be surprised. I won't pretend to know a clue about what goes on financially. However I do like those who guess and pretend to know.

We just need to win the league ( no reason why we can't) by time we do that fans will be allowed back in and thats us back in the top league.

And we can get back to building the new stadium.

Edited by G_Man1985

46 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I think it's 6 in and 6 out rn if you include Kyle Fleming going on loan to Annan, and Rodger leading. In terms of first team players, probably is more.

In:

Ashcroft, Mullen, Jakubiak, Adam, Hamilton, Afolabi.

Out:

Meekings, Field, Rodger, Nelson, Hemmings, Fleming.

You can probably add Johnson to that list of outs too. He went mid season but was part of the initial budget and would have probably been on a decent wage.

5 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Nae wonder. Utter shite 

For what it’s worth I think Hemmings is a good player but we won’t miss what we got from him last season simply because of the way he was deployed to play by the manager. The goals didn’t start to flow for Hemmings until he played in a 2 up front. In other words his talent was wasted last season. 

Hope that makes sense!

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

The great think of being in a dundee fan, if we were ever to go into administration again nobody should ever be surprised. 

Outside of Celtic, I don't think it would be a surprise if any club in Scotland ends up in administration. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

Outside of Celtic, I don't think it would be a surprise if any club in Scotland ends up in administration. 

I couldn't give two fucks about any other clubs. Be a shame though 

We just have a habit of it since I've been born by being run by cowboys.

So far so good with this lot, or so it seems 

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Absolutely. Won't see me disagreeing.

The great think of being in a dundee fan, if we were ever to go into administration again nobody should ever be surprised. I won't pretend to know a clue about what goes on financially. However I do like those who guess and pretend to know.

We just need to win the league ( no reason why we can't) by time we do that fans will be allowed back in and thats us back in the top league.

And we can get back to building the new stadium.

3 digs at the club in 1 post 👏 Nae c**t better ever mention Hemmings needs replaced by 3 players again!

Are you ok G_Man?

6 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Play Adam and Dorrans and youth right around them and we will be fine.

We can do this.

Got to keep promoting youth. Usually brings enthusiasm, drive and pace to a side and also shows others their age if they’re good enough and work hard enough they’ll get the opportunity their skills deserve. 

Think Hearts will have a massive bearing on how this season turns out. 

2 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Got to keep promoting youth. Usually brings enthusiasm, drive and pace to a side and also shows others their age if they’re good enough and work hard enough they’ll get the opportunity their skills deserve. 

Even being good enough its whether they get an actual chance. Easy to play for 10 minute cameos and then end of season we let them go. On loan they go out and then let we go.

Robertson signed a 3 year deal so that's good.

Kerr went on loan and when he came back did well.

Many players have did the same or been given a good chance?

Obviously hard for the manager to do this ( even he even has a clue what he is doing that is) but I'd take a year of introducing more youth players and finishing say 4th.

The other thing about playing the youth is unless you have really exceptional talents you can't chuck them all in at once. Your structure would go to crap.

I wouldn't put another teenager alongside Robertson in the middle for example.

I would say McPake has been pretty good at it so far. Our squad is pretty young, kids are getting debuts and if they are doing the business like Robertson they are generally being rewarded for it.

1 hour ago, locheedee said:

He's only started in two of the preseason games I think. One he seemed pretty pish and the other he did ok as far as reports have gone.

Sadly still think Hamilton sounds the better keeper...

Ferrie looked impressive in the highlights of the away win against Cove. Played all game, kept a clean sheet, and made some good saves. His other appearances weren't as impressive it seems, but nevertheless a positive preseason for him I'd say.

Would also say that Hamilton has also seemed to have a pretty good preseason. The closer we come to the deadline, the less likely I think it is we bring in another GK, whether I think we should (which I still do) or not.

11 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

The other thing about playing the youth is unless you have really exceptional talents you can't chuck them all in at once. Your structure would go to crap.

I would say McPake has been pretty good at it so far. Our squad is pretty young, kids are getting debuts and if they are doing the business like Robertson they are generally being rewarded for it.

Structure Lol. 

We don't really know who is good as they havnt been given a chance to really impress bar a few cameos.

Plenty people have mentioned youngsters who have impressed. How many of these youngsters do we think will get more than say 10 starts in the league ? 

And if we mention Robertson he is certainly a player mcpake likes as he coached him personally. 

Hearts when they came down didnt have a choice when they chucked in a lot of youngsters. The mix seemed to work to get up.  

Meh it dosnt matter. Youth deserves a chance. Whether Mcpake does in the league we will see. 

First game against Hearts is perfect chance for us to show what we are all about this season. 

Edited by G_Man1985

51 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

I'd debate that. This league was dominated by Mcdonald/Robertson and McArthur/McCarthy. Obviously, three quarters of them were exceptional talents but it can be done here. Get a balanced team (something we haven't had since Rae, I'd imagine) and your 90% there. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'd debate that. This league was dominated by Mcdonald/Robertson and McArthur/McCarthy. Obviously, three quarters of them were exceptional talents but it can be done here. Get a balanced team (something we haven't had since Rae, I'd imagine) and your 90% there. 

You mention three of the best players to have come out of this league there. It can be done but you have to have the raw materials. G_Man by your own admission you don't actually know if that depth talent is there.

I am also keen to see young players coming through but I reckon we're doing ok at present. Remember it's the manager's job on the line. It takes a lot of trust in the kids you put out there. If they don't cut it their career could be done before it's started as well.

If you're getting 10+ starts at 16/17/18 you're doing great in my book. If you play well you should get more.

The first big test for many players is whether you're starting to get 20+ starts by 21.

Edited by The Algebraist

1 hour ago, The Algebraist said:

You mention three of the best players to have come out of this league there. It can be done but you have to have the raw materials. G_Man by your own admission you don't actually know if that depth talent is there.

I am also keen to see young players coming through but I reckon we're doing ok at present. Remember it's the manager's job on the line. It takes a lot of trust in the kids you put out there. If they don't cut it their career could be done before it's started as well.

If you're getting 10+ starts at 16/17/18 you're doing great in my book. If you play well you should get more.

The first big test for many players is whether you're starting to get 20+ starts by 21.

Depth talent you are correct i have no idea. None of us do and havnt for a long time as the youngsters don't get given a real chance. Or if they are not good enough why aren't they? We seem to have did a lot when it comes to youth so is this now finally the year where we reap the rewards?

Just need to look across the road to see what youngsters they have given a shot to and stuck with and ultimately sold onto. Surely these players are in same pool and we should be looking at scouting wise ? 

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/exclusive-highly-rated-young-dundee-united-defender-kerr-smith-to-join-aston-villa/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Not even heard of the player

When was the last time we sold a young player who didn't make our first team as we was that thought of ? 

Edited by G_Man1985