All things Dundee FC

Gerry Creaney was mentioned a good while back, round about the time Eddie Johnstone was appointed but he must have taken another role, can't remember what he was before he's obviously took on Jinky's role.

Our best side:

Letheren

McGinn McPake Konrad Dyer

Thomson

McAlister McGowan

Harkins

Wighton Clarkson

Subs: Bain, Davidson, Ferry, Stewart, MacDonald, Boyle, Kerr

That team has no pace in it whatsoever and has no natural width.

If we played that team in that formation I think we would struggle.

That was the only place I could get a ticket for the Celtic game, and it was full of 16/17 year olds who spent the whole 90 mins standing on the seats trying to taunt the Celtic, with no real interest in the actual match. :( Meanwhile plod, and the stewards are standing about looking at it, like a load of braindead zombies.

That team has no pace in it whatsoever and has no natural width.

If we played that team in that formation I think we would struggle.

Didn't you say that before? Width is provided by the wing backs. Pace? Passing ability, movement and positional awareness are just as important. Anyway J Mac is quite fast. So is Wighton. Boyle and Roberts are fast, yes, but don't really have positional awareness, a good final ball or even a goal scoring threat. Paul McGinn has more :-)

Didn't you say that before? Width is provided by the wing backs. Pace? Passing ability, movement and positional awareness are just as important. Anyway J Mac is quite fast. So is Wighton. Boyle and Roberts are fast, yes, but don't really have positional awareness, a good final ball or even a goal scoring threat. Paul McGinn has more :-)

I did say it before and it's as true now as it was then. The wing backs didn't provide much width on Saturday. The right hand side was open the whole first half and not once did McGinn attempt to get down the line. It was screaming out for width.

The problem with the midfield you favour is it is all players who favour coming inside and aren't keen at running onto the ball.

Like it or not players with pace will cause teams problems and from what I have seen of Roberts he delivers some excellent balls into the box.

I will say again the two games this year where we gave looked most dangerous going forward was celtic and united (cup game) that was when we had Roberts and Boyle running at players and running in behind.

We need to be more direct this slow build up play might be good to watch but we are not hurting teams in the final

Third.

With Peaso up front against celtic he was very good and holding it up bringing other players into the game none of our other forwards seem to have that ability.

I did say it before and it's as true now as it was then. The wing backs didn't provide much width on Saturday. The right hand side was open the whole first half and not once did McGinn attempt to get down the line. It was screaming out for width.

The problem with the midfield you favour is it is all players who favour coming inside and aren't keen at running onto the ball.

Like it or not players with pace will cause teams problems and from what I have seen of Roberts he delivers some excellent balls into the box.

I will say again the two games this year where we gave looked most dangerous going forward was celtic and united (cup game) that was when we had Roberts and Boyle running at players and running in behind.

We need to be more direct this slow build up play might be good to watch but we are not hurting teams in the final

Third.

With Peaso up front against celtic he was very good and holding it up bringing other players into the game none of our other forwards seem to have that ability.

Yes I do get your point of view... I also prefer Roberts to Boyle but he's inconsistent. The reason the wing backs weren't deployed on Sat was because Dyer was out. Can't continually attack with right and not left.

Yes I do get your point of view... I also prefer Roberts to Boyle but he's inconsistent. The reason the wing backs weren't deployed on Sat was because Dyer was out. Can't continually attack with right and not left.

I didn't think we were playing with wing backs on saturday, I saw it as more of a flat 4. I think you're right about not being able to use Irvine to really effectively support from the left, he's a right sided player who will always have to cut in to put a cross in and so is both a bit more predictable and also that bit narrower. Saying that, if the opposition know this and we're doing 90% of our play up the right it does give us the 'elephant' of surprise if we do switch it to the left.

The problem with not playing wingers is that the full backs (or wing backs) become a lot more exposed. It was most apparent in the Partick game earlier in the season. In the first half we couldn't get out because they constantly doubled up on our full backs.

The problem with not playing wingers is that the full backs (or wing backs) become a lot more exposed. It was most apparent in the Partick game earlier in the season. In the first half we couldn't get out because they constantly doubled up on our full backs.

Yeah I was at that game. We played a similar game v Peterhead and it was totally different. Yes, there's a danger of being exposed. And, of course, much responsibility placed on the wing backs. If there's too much space then the left and right midfielders, in the diamond, need to close it and move wider.

I've not seen it myself, but apparently today's Courier has hit a new low for DC Thomson with a report on the Derry. Claims of sectarian and racist chanting.

For me there is an issue with people surging forward and right at goals. By all means jump about and be happy but there's no need for what is basically a provocative gesture towards the visiting fans.

But to say there's sectarianism and racism is utter nonsense. Far too many people hear "hello, hello" and associate it with what Rangers (RIP) and their tribute act sing. And racism? I've never heard a racist comment at Dens.

I don't normally like the club banning the media, but I think they have a strong case for doing it with DCTs. At least until an apology is printed that has the same prominence at the article.

I've not seen it myself, but apparently today's Courier has hit a new low for DC Thomson with a report on the Derry. Claims of sectarian and racist chanting.

For me there is an issue with people surging forward and right at goals. By all means jump about and be happy but there's no need for what is basically a provocative gesture towards the visiting fans.

But to say there's sectarianism and racism is utter nonsense. Far too many people hear "hello, hello" and associate it with what Rangers (RIP) and their tribute act sing. And racism? I've never heard a racist comment at Dens.

I don't normally like the club banning the media, but I think they have a strong case for doing it with DCTs. At least until an apology is printed that has the same prominence at the article.

Any chance of a scan of the article?

There is nothing online. Not condoning anything that may or may not have been said but DCTs and especially The Courier have given the club a terrible press for years and really need to prove their story.

Too often a story from them is more unreliable than the taxi driver telling you.

Edited by eindhovendee