Drink Drive limit to change in Scotland

FlyerTon

Another way of looking at it is that the government have now prevented you from giving me cancer through second hand smoking and then risking my kids lives by driving down my street pissed.

If that pisses you or anyone else off then it must be a good thing by default.

Give me some evidence that second hand smoke has harmed anyone and I'll make a point of avoiding driving down your street with a hangover.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you drink it , get straight in the car and get pulled over in the pub car park then most people will fail.

youre not tested on "units" youre tested on blood alcohol content and whilst you are right that they are different for everyone, the units are just guidlines. a pint of 4 % beer has about 2.6 units in it if i remember right 5 % is over 3

Based on what? The estimated peak bac puts any male over 42kg under the current limit with 1 pint of 4% alcohol (2.3 units btw). Thats with rounding up and without deducting anything to take into account metabolised alcohol. Now I'm not entirely sure what the average adult male weighs, but I'm pretty sure there can't be many who are under 42 kg. Yes units are just guidelines and theres no guarantees etc etc etc but that doesn't mean we can't look at it generally.

Based on what? The estimated peak bac puts any male over 42kg under the current limit with 1 pint of 4% alcohol (2.3 units btw). Thats with rounding up and without deducting anything to take into account metabolised alcohol. Now I'm not entirely sure what the average adult male weighs, but I'm pretty sure there can't be many who are under 42 kg. Yes units are just guidelines and theres no guarantees etc etc etc but that doesn't mean we can't look at it generally.

I've had someone fail a test who swore blindly they only had one pint after work in a pub, I've also had people who have had a smell on their breath and passed a test after saying they had a large glass of wine with their meal etc there is no way to tell using units etc if you are going to pass. I think it's quite a good thing but there are a lot of scum bag road traffic lawyers who get drink drivers off so maybe it's a good way to redress the balance.

I was told this by a cop cousin of mine that one pint of lager less than an hour after drinking will probably put you over. Also that drink driving is a "crime of which there is no defence" meaning a positive breath test at the police station WILL result in a conviction iawers can try to get the length of ban reduced or imposse a lesser fine but they can't get you off from it

I've had someone fail a test who swore blindly they only had one pint after work in a pub, I've also had people who have had a smell on their breath and passed a test after saying they had a large glass of wine with their meal etc there is no way to tell using units etc if you are going to pass. I think it's quite a good thing but there are a lot of scum bag road traffic lawyers who get drink drivers off so maybe it's a good way to redress the balance.

Drunk drivers can't get "off" with the crime.

They (and their well paid lawyers) may plead for leniency when it comes to 'fine time', but the ban will be there, along with any points on the license, increased insurance costs and the stigma of being a drink driver. That extra pint just isn't worth the hassle. Better with a wee cup of tea.

Why would you even attempt to drive after 3 pints? Regardless of whether you passed or not its still a fucking stupid thing to do.

It was 3 pints over 4 hours, I assumed enough had gone out the system.

It had.

Copper was raging , which was quite nice :)

A quick conversion shows the new Scottish limit will now be 22 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath down from the rest of Britain 35 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath.

Anyone buying a decent breathalyzer for 'morning after' peace of mind after a night out, e.g. whether to get a bus or a train, will have to bear in mind they will probably be set to the higher rest of Britain limit of 35 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath (or 0.35 mg/L)

They could therefore show you passing when you are over the Scottish limit of 22 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath (or 0.22 mg/L) - so you would have to note the reading on the device.

Edit to add: Reading a bit about these, the most reliable / accurate ones are those with 'fuel cell' technology and they need re-calibrating every six months.

Could always follow the lead of a boy from Greenock who, after being caught driving after an all day session, burst into tears and was so upset he couldn't breathe into the breathalyser. He got away with it as well, despite admitting in court to drinking an insane amount prior to crashing his car. Wish I could find the story, was unbelievable

Could always follow the lead of a boy from Greenock who, after being caught driving after an all day session, burst into tears and was so upset he couldn't breathe into the breathalyser. He got away with it as well, despite admitting in court to drinking an insane amount prior to crashing his car. Wish I could find the story, was unbelievable

Certainly sounds very unbelievable.

He'd be done with failure to provide a sample.

Certainly sounds very unbelievable.He'd be done with failure to provide a sample.

He went to court charged with that very offence but was found not guilty after giving the above defence. Wonder if anyone else from Greenock remembers the case.

How many people do you think will be affected by this?

Very few but not impossible given the current propensity of police to treat every accident as a crime scene and close the road and implement detours, sometimes very long detours. Just because something is unlikely doesn't mean the implications of it should not be considered.

And the award for most ridiculous argument goes to Tio.

I understand that it probably seems that way in your head, Fortunately we are not all simpletons and some of us who are and have been involved in developing or introducing legislation have the mental capabilities to consider all possible scenarios.

As someone who drives for a living, I do not consume any alcohol 18 hours before getting behind the controls. This takes away any uncertainty of limits on whether I may or may not be under the influence. Of course, having random tests at work has kept me firm in my views on drink driving, just don't do it.

For those of you who do have a swift pint after work before driving home.....invest in this small company. :)

http://www.valuebreathalysers.co.uk/acatalog/latest-alcoscan-al6000-professional-digital-breathalyser-testing.html

A reasonable, risk free approach.

Out of interest what is the acceptable limit on your random tests at work?

I don't drive, but if I did I just wouldn't risk it. Only a fanny would. Lots of tossers on here trying to act hard about drinking. What a sad attitude.

"I drink loads, you're a lightweight, I'm solid, I can drink loads and be fine!" etc etc. Aye, really hard and cool stuff.

I don't drive, but if I did I just wouldn't risk it. Only a fanny would. Lots of tossers on here trying to act hard about drinking. What a sad attitude.

"I drink loads, you're a lightweight, I'm solid, I can drink loads and be fine!" etc etc. Aye, really hard and cool stuff.

can't drive^^^ :bairn

If Scots have a good idea for Scots law, why should we have to put it on hold until other nations warm to the idea... if they ever do at all?

You thinks the impetus for this came from Scots?

guy-rolls-floor-laughing-vector-illustra

Archived