Drink Drive limit to change in Scotland

FlyerTon

Could well catch out people having a few drinks then driving the next morning though.

With the revised limit being the equivalent of half a pint less, if it's the type of 'few drinks' which will still have booze in the system the next morning then such heavy drinking the night before is just stupid regardless.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why could they not bring this in at the same time in the rest of Britain?

Edit to add: Or delay it until the rest of Britain was ready to go with it?

Like any party is going to introduce this into England in the run up to a general election.

If Scots have a good idea for Scots law, why should we have to put it on hold until other nations warm to the idea... if they ever do at all?

Eta: should the ROI have waited for the UK to introduce a revised limit? You can drive between the two just like you can drive from Scotland into England after all.

P.S. After banning smoking just about everywhere, and now stopping me from having 2 pints of weak lager in a country pub, with no harm being risked to anyone on both counts, the authorities can GTF. I'm voting Islamic State.

P.S. After banning smoking just about everywhere, and now stopping me from having 2 pints of weak lager in a country pub, with no harm being risked to anyone on both counts, the authorities can GTF. I'm voting Islamic State.

I think you might find that their penalties are a wee bit harsher.

If it's a smoke and a drink your after, Islamic state might be the wrong choice. On the other hand if it's women dressed as post boxes......

Sorry fellas but the idea you can have one pint and be under the limit is well out of date even under the current limit. it was an old guidline from the late 70s when beer was typicaly only 3% nowadays youre average 4% lagers and 5% stellas peronis and cidres will put you over with one pint. (even at 80mg)

Well it is through no fault of your own. Your journey commenced in England and ended in England and your route did not take you through Scotland. A road is closed and you are diverted through Scotland. That is unfair and probably unworkable. If you were intending to drive thorugh Scotland to get home tough, but if forced through when you were operating legally otherwise is not fair.

How many people do you think will be affected by this?

Sorry fellas but the idea you can have one pint and be under the limit is well out of date even under the current limit. it was an old guidline from the late 70s when beer was typicaly only 3% nowadays youre average 4% lagers and 5% stellas peronis and cidres will put you over with one pint. (even at 80mg)

Yes, if you are 3ft tall. I highly doubt 1 pint of 4% lager is going to put anybody who isn't a total midget over the current limit.

No idea.

I'd personally never drink more than 4 pints if I intended to drive before midday the following day.

A general rule of thumb is about 1 hour for every half pint you've drank after you stop drinking.

Therefore finishing a 6th pint at midnight is going to take you to around midday the following day.

I get the 1 hour per unit rule, but i do question why its after you stop drinking when you should start timing, surely its from when you start drinking(or approx 30-40 mins after)? Surely the body still metabolises alcohol even if you are consuming it?

Yes, if you are 3ft tall. I highly doubt 1 pint of 4% lager is going to put anybody who isn't a total midget over the current limit.

I get the 1 hour per unit rule, but i do question why its after you stop drinking when you should start timing, surely its from when you start drinking(or approx 30-40 mins after)? Surely the body still metabolises alcohol even if you are consuming it?

If you drink it , get straight in the car and get pulled over in the pub car park then most people will fail.

youre not tested on "units" youre tested on blood alcohol content and whilst you are right that they are different for everyone, the units are just guidlines. a pint of 4 % beer has about 2.6 units in it if i remember right 5 % is over 3

As someone who drives for a living, I do not consume any alcohol 18 hours before getting behind the controls. This takes away any uncertainty of limits on whether I may or may not be under the influence. Of course, having random tests at work has kept me firm in my views on drink driving, just don't do it.

For those of you who do have a swift pint after work before driving home.....invest in this small company. :)

http://www.valuebreathalysers.co.uk/acatalog/latest-alcoscan-al6000-professional-digital-breathalyser-testing.html

Archived