Drink Drive limit to change in Scotland

FlyerTon

Will bring Scotland into line with most of Europe, or closer anyway.

Out of interest, for an "Average" person, how much would you have to drink the night before in order to be above the limit the following day?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it is through no fault of your own. Your journey commenced in England and ended in England and your route did not take you through Scotland. A road is closed and you are diverted through Scotland. That is unfair and probably unworkable. If you were intending to drive thorugh Scotland to get home tough, but if forced through when you were operating legally otherwise is not fair.

The same thing applies to all international borders too. If you started a journey in France and a detour took you through Switzerland you would have to comply with Swiss law regardless of where your intended route took you. Unless you think borderline drunk drivers should have their cars considered as the vehicular equivalent of a "sealed train", I'm not sure what you expect to happen.

The hand wringers are the ones that lobbyed for a new limit.

I quite often go for 2 pints after work. This changes everything.

Either no drink at all, or get blootered. There is no middle ground anymore.

Of course there's middle ground, go for a bottle of beer, think of the money you'll save.

Can't see why this is a problem for anyone, it just aligns us with the rest of Western Europe. Just a matter of time till England does the same.

Deal with it.

Out of interest, for an "Average" person, how much would you have to drink the night before in order to be above the limit the following day?

'Average' man supposedly gets rid of 1 unit of alcohol each hour. That can vary depending on diet, health, size, how used to alcohol you are, etc.

You can roughly work it out from that if you know the units you've had. Safest thing is not to drink at all then you won't be at risk of breaching the limit.

Apparently you need 13 hours to get rid of 4x 4% pints. I think that means down to zero alcohol in your blood though:

http://www.morning-after.org.uk/pints.html

The hand wringers are the ones that lobbyed for a new limit.

I quite often go for 2 pints after work. This changes everything.

Either no drink at all, or get blootered. There is no middle ground anymore.

You are more than likely over the present limit having 2 pints.

If you think you are under the limit then 1 pint would equal less than 40 mg/100ml so you could still have 1 pint.

But you're not and you're a dick.

Can't see why this is a problem for anyone, it just aligns us with the rest of Western Europe. Just a matter of time till England does the same.

Deal with it.

Same here tbh. My other half and her folks won't drink at all even if they're not going to be driving for another 3 or 4 hours and would have burned a drink off by then. Also just back from Canada where they have a zero tolerance law.

I know that after work I can have a couple of pints and feel nothing but sometimes (for whatever reason) I can feel drowsy after a single pint over lunch at which point I certainly wouldn't want to be driving, even though it would be completely legal to do so. The hardcore/lightweight level of tolerance differ from person to person I guess but you have to apply a widespread rule fairly.

You are more than likely over the present limit having 2 pints.

If you think you are under the limit then 1 pint would equal less than 40 mg/100ml so you could still have 1 pint.

But you're not and you're a dick.

Think I'm fine with two as I have passed it with three, but it is new territory now.

And I would like all piggies to blow in the bag if they stop anybody for anything at all. They can't be trusted.

Just me that thinks this won't make much of a difference? Is there any evidence this will make more people think more about driving after having a drink?

Can't say I'm bothered about this change - no problem with this reduction.

Just me that thinks this won't make much of a difference? Is there any evidence this will make more people think more about driving after having a drink?

Can't say I'm bothered about this change - no problem with this reduction.

I think it will make a significant difference with numbers of people perhaps driving just at the limit or above it. As few have said they have previously had 2/3 pints and driven but now won't risk that but I agree it probably won't change the mind sets of those who think nothing of drinking 6 pints and drive home just now.

For me I would say one pint is my limit if I know I am going to be driving but now it's not worth the risk because there are so many variables as how that pint may effect you.

I would imagine this is for most people, including myself as good as zero tolerance which is not a bad thing.

I think it will make a significant difference with numbers of people perhaps driving just at the limit or above it. As few have said they have previously had 2/3 pints and driven but now won't risk that but I agree it probably won't change the mind sets of those who think nothing of drinking 6 pints and drive home just now.

For me I would say one pint is my limit if I know I am going to be driving but now it's not worth the risk because there are so many variables as how that pint may effect you.

I would imagine this is for most people, including myself as good as zero tolerance which is not a bad thing.

The old must've been a 'dirty pint' line.

They may as well just come out and say that it's zero tolerance but with a margin of error similar to being caught speeding at 64mph in a 60 zone and getting away with it. My impression from Reporting Scotland is that they've set this figure to account for those on medicines which could put them over 0mg.

Think I'm fine with two as I have passed it with three, but it is new territory now.

And I would like all piggies to blow in the bag if they stop anybody for anything at all. They can't be trusted.

Why would you even attempt to drive after 3 pints? Regardless of whether you passed or not its still a fucking stupid thing to do.

Archived