Drink Drive limit to change in Scotland

FlyerTon

What are peoples thoughts on random tests?

Random tests don't bother me at all, I'm used to it now. I don't feel as though my civil liberties have been invaded. My job carries certain criteria, I'll abide by that criteria as it is written into my contract of employment. I'll not risk my income for the buzz of "a cupla pints."

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure if you show no signs on intent towards driving then you can get away with it. As in sleep in the back seat with the keys in the glove box or as far away as possible.

Having a wee read through the thread again - I've got it in my head that someone was done for drink driving in Scotland when the police found him sleeping in his car, despite sticking his car keys under the wheel arch/on one of his front tyres?

Or was that an urban myth/not the full story?

The limit should be as practically close to zero as possible so as to sent the message out that not even one is acceptable but still leaving room for variance.

If you have to have a pint with a meal or whatever then you've got bigger problems than worrying about how many you can have.

I once reported a guy to the police for drunk driving. I was on a bus across the street and saw the guy struggling to stand up straight and get the key in the car door. I took the number and phoned the polis telling then the direction he'd be heading in. My conscience did bother me a wee bit for being a clipe but convinced myself that I might be saving someone's life then or in the future, maybe you or more probably the guy himself.

I was once heading along the M9 and just at the Polmont slip road saw the guy in the lane next to me swigging from a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Was both funny and scary in equal measure

I like to have a small drink ( 2 or 3 units ) before I drive in heavy traffic.

One of the things I've always struggling with my driving is confidence and decision making. I commute daily across the Forth road bridge into Edinburgh and I used to get myself really agitated when I was sitting at a busy T-junction or roundabout like Crew-Toll. To a lesser extent I struggled when changing lanes to avoid parked vehicles, I would move lanes a little, without any conviction which led to other road users sounding the horn. There was this one time I was going along Queensferry road (east bound) there was a car parked in the left lane - I tried to overtake it, but I took too long trying to overtake it and I ended up crashing into it.

So I typically take two miniature bottles of Gin or JD, and take them when I stop at Rosyth for a Sausage and potato scone roll. I'm just more in control of my emotions after a small aperitif, more decisive and a better driver.

One of the things I've always struggling with my driving is confidence and decision making. I commute daily across the Forth road bridge into Edinburgh and I used to get myself really agitated when I was sitting at a busy T-junction or roundabout like Crew-Toll. To a lesser extent I struggled when changing lanes to avoid parked vehicles, I would move lanes a little, without any conviction which led to other road users sounding the horn. There was this one time I was going along Queensferry road (east bound) there was a car parked in the left lane - I tried to overtake it, but I took too long trying to overtake it and I ended up crashing into it.

So I typically take two miniature bottles of Gin or JD, and take them when I stop at Rosyth for a Sausage and potato scone roll. I'm just more in control of my emotions after a small aperitif, more decisive and a better driver.

Good evening, sir. My name is Chief Inspector Knacker of Police Scotland (Motorway Patrol Group). We have been alerted to your on-line confession of drink driving by a concerned public-minded poster and are currently in discussions with Div and GCHQ in order to track down your IP address.

Good evening, sir. My name is Chief Inspector Knacker of Police Scotland (Motorway Patrol Group). We have been alerted to your on-line confession of drink driving by a concerned public-minded poster and are currently in discussions with Div and GCHQ in order to track down your IP address.

Just look for the Lexus with the 'Savo for Mod' sticker on it.

You should try heroin.

It'll calm your nerves far more and it won't show on a breathalyser test.

• 4 weeks later...

Here we are on the eve of the new legislation. No more pint after work i suppose.

I doubt this will have a huge effect on those that drink more and drive anyway. Living in a rural area there is no police about on any scale.

Cant afford to lose my license so coffee it is from now on and no drinking after 8pm before work to be safe.

Gonna save me a fortune. :)

Living in a rural area there is no police about on any scale.

On the contrary, there's little else for the police to do in many areas. Locals where I used to work sussed out pretty quickly that the police only sat outside their pubs on Wednesday and Saturday nights. The other nights were reserved for the other villages down the road.

Edit: typo

^ I agree, the amount of people i know who got done drink driving in rural areas is staggering. If you crash your car then you are more likely to get away with it in a rural area but the chances of getting pulled over are far less in the city.

Drink driving is deplorable and i would like to think i wouldn't do it again but there have been a couple times in my life i have done it. Usually the morning after, and occasionally after maybe 4 pints.

People are more than capable of making up their judgements without the interference of the state.

If you were to drink 20 units (say about 7 pints) and was in bed by 1am, you could safely drive by 5pm.

The other month there, I made a decision that I wasn't in a fit state to drive. I'd entered the vehicle without any shoes on. Rather than driving (legally) but unsafely (IMO) I simply went back inside and put on some air max. Jumped back in the car and I put on an excellent driving performance that afternoon.

Have a quarter bottle and take the bus.

I'm not doubting your driving prowess, but how does a safe drive home escalate from "normal" to "excellent"... ?

Three main areas.

1. Air Max

2. Awareness and planning

3 Full use of mirrors and signalling

I excelled myself that afternoon - and my risk analysis was spot on.

Three main areas.

1. Air Max

2. Awareness and planning

3 Full use of mirrors and signalling

I excelled myself that afternoon - and my risk analysis was spot on.

Played bro. Fancy sharing your risk analysis with some of the lesser drivers out there, in particular, the potential threats, consequences and subsequent controls you implemented?

Played bro. Fancy sharing your risk analysis with some of the lesser drivers out there, in particular, the potential threats, consequences and subsequent controls you implemented?

It would be my absolute pleasure Cardinal.

IMO there's potential threats round every corner, and therefore I used advanced planning and scanning techniques to plan far along the road. On the straights I kept an excellent following distance and I checked the overgrowth for potential animals entering the road from the undergrowth. Around half way through my journey there was an unexpected road user from the left verge - it was a morrisons bag. No biggy I thought and ran straight over it, and yes I tried my brakes afterwards after using my interior mirror.

I like looking back at times I've excelled myself at any sports including motorsport and that afternoon stands out with the time I managed a break of 80 at Snooker or my 66 round the Kings course.

So...thanks for asking, mate.

Archived