Support for 2nd independence referendum

Colkitto

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspected that was probably the case in all honesty. It's understandable that people who have family in other parts of the UK didn't want to be separated by a border.

Hopefully it comes again and we'll vote yes next time.

Listening to John Beattie on Bbc Radio Scotland there. He's discussing that poll. Hasn't even mentioned the age split. I like him but you can tell which camp he's in. Not subtle.

You can tell who most side with to be fair. Jackie Bird is as subtle as a brick, as it Brian Taylor.

Sturgeon still not ruling out indyref2 in 2016 parly. Hope she goes for it but much will depend on who is in power at Westminster after the May election and how much power the SNP wield.

_82175943_herald.jpg

_82175637_82175636.jpg

You can tell who most side with to be fair. Jackie Bird is as subtle as a brick, as it Brian Taylor.

Most of the BBC commentators are raging BritNats; they are not very good at hiding it.If the polls go the way we hope they do their ugly pusses will be a sight to behold from May 8 onwards.

"Once in a generation"

CornetteFace.jpg

Said once in a generation opportunity, as in it might be a generation before we get another chance. Nobody pledged to wait a generation to try again.

The no side also pledged 'devo-max', 'home-rule' and 'as close to full federalism as possible' and we are getting none of these things.

Its up to the people of Scotland, if the SNP have a referendum in their manifesto next year and the people of Scotland vote them into another majority we get another referendum. That's democracy. A legal precedent has also been set with the last one, so if those conditions are repeated ie another SNP majority we get another one.

Suck it up, we want to be independent, we're hardly going to stop trying cause we lost a vote. And if we lose the next one there will be a third one, we will be independent, get on board or get out of the road.

Sturgeon still not ruling out indyref2 in 2016 parly. Hope she goes for it but much will depend on who is in power at Westminster after the May election and how much power the SNP wield.

_82175943_herald.jpg

_82175637_82175636.jpg

no shock here from the daily mail, no doubt the Daily Record is at it as well.

All she said was 2016 is a different matter.

"Once in a generation"

CornetteFace.jpg

Some others that I posted previously.

This is nothing less than a once-in-a-generation fight about who our country works for. It is a choice between a Tory plan where only a few at the top can succeed and our public services are threatened. Or a Labour plan that puts working people first, deals with the deficit and protects our NHS.

or this one

Today I want to talk about how we make it a success because we now have a once in a generation chance.

Get this right and we make good on education's progressive promise. To give every child the chance to go as far as their abilities and effort can carry them.

And we'll achieve something else of lasting importance. We'll prove that teachers do best when Whitehall steps out of the way.

or even this one

Today, I want to speak about the once-in-a-generation chance we have, together, to improve the way we enhance the cause of human rights, freedom and dignity.

We have an ambitious agenda for the coming months

to reinforce local democracy

to combat discrimination

to strengthen the rule of law across Europe.

But the focus of our Chairmanship, as you know, is our joint effort to reform the European Court of Human Rights.

Do polls not show a very high percentage of people who want another referendum in the next five or ten years anyway?

A complete non-story. :lol:

I would rather Sturgeon managed to form a coalition with a break away left wing English working class party and at the next general election wiped the floor and slayed Labour and the Tories for ever more

David Cameron has stated he will be ruling out another referendum on Scottish independence in the sun today.

He's shitting it. Fucking shitting it.

The only credible position on this is the one adopted by Sturgeon.

Firstly, the SNP as a political party, decide whether or not to put it in their manifesto for 2016. Other political parties can also put things relating to further/fewer powers for Scotland in their manifestos.

Secondly, the people of Scotland vote in 2016 and elect a government of their choice. If there is a majority of MSPs in favour of a referendum it should be put to the electorate.

Thirdly, the people of Scotland vote in the referendum.

This is democracy; I don't understand why people struggle with this. Also, elected politicians are elected for four (Holyrood) or five (Westminster) years. No politician on either side of the debate has any mandate to argue for a timescale beyond their tenure in office.

The only credible position on this is the one adopted by Sturgeon.

Firstly, the SNP as a political party, decide whether or not to put it in their manifesto for 2016. Other political parties can also put things relating to further/fewer powers for Scotland in their manifestos.

Secondly, the people of Scotland vote in 2016 and elect a government of their choice. If there is a majority of MSPs in favour of a referendum it should be put to the electorate.

Thirdly, the people of Scotland vote in the referendum.

This is democracy; I don't understand why people struggle with this. Also, elected politicians are elected for four (Holyrood) or five (Westminster) years. No politician on either side of the debate has any mandate to argue for a timescale beyond their tenure in office.

This. I've been saying all along that Sturgeon/the SNP will not be calling another referendum until polls show a CLEAR majority in favour of independence because another defeat would probably bury it for a long time.

It is for the people of Scotland to decide when indyref2 is called and we definitely won't see a 3 1/2 year campaign this time.

I'd imagine if polls are showing 60/70% in favour of Indy before the 2016 election and the SNP get another majority then the second referendum will be called in late 2016/early 2017 but I think it's more likely we see it in 2020/2021 after the next elections

This. I've been saying all along that Sturgeon/the SNP will not be calling another referendum until polls show a CLEAR majority in favour of independence because another defeat would probably bury it for a long time.

It is for the people of Scotland to decide when indyref2 is called and we definitely won't see a 3 1/2 year campaign this time.

I'd imagine if polls are showing 60/70% in favour of Indy before the 2016 election and the SNP get another majority then the second referendum will be called in late 2016/early 2017 but I think it's more likely we see it in 2020/2021 after the next elections

Agree with this entirely.

I'd be outraged if the SNP put this in their manifesto just to maintain their majority, only to lose again in 2019 or 2020.

Time needs to pass, powers need to come up (and be handled well) and the economic arguments need to be honed before a second tilt should even be considered.

Archived