Queens v Raith

You cant have any complaints because you have to take your chances when you come to places like this, said Murray.

Chances?

Its difficult once you let teams go ahead because you have to push and they can hit you on the counter."

Possession was 55% - 45% in Queen's favour.

He must have meant chance..Surely? :lol:

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“You can’t have any complaints because you have to take your chances when you come to places like this,” said Murray.

Chances?

“It’s difficult once you let teams go ahead because you have to push and they can hit you on the counter."

Possession was 55% - 45% in Queen's favour.

At least we've discovered one thing. Big Berk is none other than the man himself, Mr Grant Murray!

It's quite cringeworthy reading Raith fans who think we are a bigger club than Queens. I would say that Queens are a pretty much equal comparison with a club like ours in terms of size, support base and potential. We are probably both sitting around where we should be in the pecking order although Queens are definitely the better side at the moment.

Compared to similar "sized" clubs it could be worse (Ayr, Morton) or it could be better (Ross County, St Johnstone) but to describe Queens as punching above their weight (3rd in Championship) and us to be dire (5th in Championship) lacks any sort of credibility at all.

Queens are doing well and look favourites for 4th place (if you assume the big three finish 1,2 and 3) but there is a long way to go yet. Unfortunately for us, I think it would take a change in manager for us to really put in a challenge. This is unlikely as Murray has 18 months on his contract and it could be argued that guiding Raith Rovers to mid table in the championship isn't really a sacking offence. The turgid football we offer perhaps is though.

As for the game, we were comfortably beaten by an all round better side.

I've never doubted that you have the upper hand right now. But you're right, we are not clubs of similar stature. Despite league positions and status clubs like Morton, Falkirk, Dunfermline and Livingston are bigger clubs. And I'm inclined to predict that far from challenging Hibs for 3rd spot you'll be challenging Falkirk for 4th towards the end of the season.

Dunfermilne and Falkirk certainly but are you really saying Livingston especially or even Morton are a bigger team than us ?

It's quite cringeworthy reading Raith fans who think we are a bigger club than Queens. I would say that Queens are a pretty much equal comparison with a club like ours in terms of size, support base and potential. We are probably both sitting around where we should be in the pecking order although Queens are definitely the better side at the moment.

Compared to similar "sized" clubs it could be worse (Ayr, Morton) or it could be better (Ross County, St Johnstone) but to describe Queens as punching above their weight (3rd in Championship) and us to be dire (5th in Championship) lacks any sort of credibility at all.

Queens are doing well and look favourites for 4th place (if you assume the big three finish 1,2 and 3) but there is a long way to go yet. Unfortunately for us, I think it would take a change in manager for us to really put in a challenge. This is unlikely as Murray has 18 months on his contract and it could be argued that guiding Raith Rovers to mid table in the championship isn't really a sacking offence. The turgid football we offer perhaps is though.

Could not disagree with any of that!

Never happened at Cowdenbeath. Raith fans seem to get a bit upset whenever you mention flags being stolen.

It used be the East Fife fans that were fixated with our big flag. They got in quite a lather about it. I know you're just having a laugh, but that's how it started with the Fife fans. Then they just went mental. That flag really go them wound up. You're better than that, Cowden fans.

One of the board members should really take Murray aside and have a word in his shell-like. The man appears to be oblivious to the dislike for him in the stands, either that or he's being obtuse and taking the 'no-one likes me, I don't care' approach.

He's a dead man(ager) walking at the moment, and I can't see that changing. However, it definitely won't change unless he can get the team playing some style of football that gets the fans at least vaguely excited.

There are shades of the Bobby Williamson about him. It wouldn't surprise me if he came out with the same “If it’s entertainment you want, go to the cinema" statement.

Dunfermilne and Falkirk certainly but are you really saying Livingston especially or even Morton are a bigger team than us ?

Surely to god that was said in a rage moment and would be retracted if given the chance, on second thoughts he is probably still mad with seethe and still crying himself to sleep that such a tiny club could beat the mighty rovers.

Surely to god that was said in a rage moment and would be retracted if given the chance, on second thoughts he is probably still mad with seethe and still crying himself to sleep that such a tiny club could beat the mighty rovers.

In our own league , Falkirk and the big three are larger clubs but that's it . The Pars are definitely but I am not so sure that Ross Co are . Our standing at the moment is maybe only two places higher than it would be in the size of clubs debate so no real " punching above our weight " there. As has been said , Raith and Queens - club and fans - are so similar in many ways .

In our own league , Falkirk and the big three are larger clubs but that's it . The Pars are definitely but I am not so sure that Ross Co are . Our standing at the moment is maybe only two places higher than it would be in the size of clubs debate so no real " punching above our weight " there. As has been said , Raith and Queens - club and fans - are so similar in many ways .

Definitely Dunfermline and Falkirk are bigger clubs but for him to suggest Livingston and Morton was laughable. We are never going to pack a 10,000 seater stadium week in week out but the fact we are battling for promotion to the spl shows how far as a club we have come since pre Connolly era. Small club or not we are a force on the pitch which for me is all that matters. If another 500/600 were added to the home crowd every week ideal but if not they are missing watching a good footballing side.

For the record , I have thought for a while that Raith are the closest team in Scots football to ourselves in stature / potential . Almost identical really .

I'd agree with that. When we were in the 2nd division and QoS were doing well in the first I looked at them and thought they were the club we should be able to use as a template for surviving in this league once we got promoted. I suppose by and large we've done that but not quite as well as Queens have.

I know I do, I know I support a diddy side, you don't seem to realise you do aswell however. The way you're giving it the billy big baws to QOTS fans is embarassing.

Good post. I rather like that :)

However if you read the thread you'd soon see that its QOS fans who are uppity and I'm merely pointing that out. I'll leave them in their delusion of challenging the big clubs and going for the SPL in their dilapidated stadium, gloating in their temporary status as 3rd in the second tier of Scottish football.

One of the board members should really take Murray aside and have a word in his shell-like. The man appears to be oblivious to the dislike for him in the stands, either that or he's being obtuse and taking the 'no-one likes me, I don't care' approach.

He's a dead man(ager) walking at the moment, and I can't see that changing. However, it definitely won't change unless he can get the team playing some style of football that gets the fans at least vaguely excited.

There are shades of the Bobby Williamson about him. It wouldn't surprise me if he came out with the same “If it’s entertainment you want, go to the cinema" statement.

I have some sympathy with the view that he has us comfortable in the 1st Division which, removing the wonderful era of the mid 90's, is as good as we've been in the 25 years I've been supporting the Rovers. Added to that, it's under very tight financial contraints and the background of us becoming a profitable club again.

A profitable club doesn't satisfy the needs of a football supporter on a Saturday afternoon though!

Good post. I rather like that :)

However if you read the thread you'd soon see that its QOS fans who are uppity and I'm merely pointing that out. I'll leave them in their delusion of challenging the big clubs and going for the SPL in their dilapidated stadium, gloating in their temporary status as 3rd in the second tier of Scottish football.

My word! We are not getting uppity at all! Rangers are within 4 points of us and we play them at home in a couple of weeks. I fully expect Rangers, Hearts and Hibs to finish above us this season, but we will be 4th or thereabouts.

Dilapidated stadium? Deary me! Have you been to Palmerston? It is very well maintained, in great condition, capacity just increased due to work being done, a top of the range artificial pitch,an indoor arena, club shop, stadium bar. Most of which the mighty Raith Rovers don't have. You really are a bitter wee man.

OK, apologies for saying Palmerston is dilapidated. Antiquated maybe, seeing it has only seating for a couple of thousand (we were made to spend a fortune we couldnt afford to make Stark's all seated when we went to the premier league).

Anyway, on reflection I realise that the SPL isnt actually beyond QOS; comparing clubs again I'd say you were similar in size to Accies, who have a decent team for a small club with a low average gate. Unlikely tho, and definitely not this season.

Basically the stats don't lie.

We've played 37 matches in the league over the past year and won 10 - 2 x Dumbarton, 2 x QOTS, 2 x Cowden, 2 x Alloa, 1 x Livi and 1 x Morton. This represents a win percentage in the league over 12 months of 27.03%.

The board can throw up Rangers and Hearts all they like but that only amounts to 4 games out of the 37. Even take those out and it's still only 30.30%.

Put that together with the facts that the same defensive mistakes keep getting made on a weekly basis, he insists on playing the same players who have consistently not performed, is about as tactically aware as my goldfish and to top it off after all that still either refuses or, more worryingly, cannot see there is a problem, then we're only heading one way and that's into a relegation fight.

People may ask how I can say this as we're 4th in the league and only 4 points off a play-off position but anyone who watched Saturday's match and have been going to the games over the past year will surely back me up.

Murray is a nice guy and was a good footballer for us but Saturday's defeat and performance just sums up what's wrong with the club at the moment.

Archived