Ferguson

Why is it unfortunate for my argument?

So because some black people make testimonies that may support (you had to put "support" in quotation marks) the police means there weren't any others that felt intimidated and did not testify because of their fear of an angry mob at their doorstep?

Congratulations on your victory! :1eye

Thanks for the congratulations, it feels good man.

I was actually pointing out your "people were intimidated into not testifying!" argument doesn't stand up because people did testify (so much for those scary black men and their uncivilised mobs) and the only reports appear to suggest that nobody was too scared to testify - in fact they testified despite being scared.

But we're just going over old ground now.

Incidentally, regarding Tamir Rice: this is the second time in a year that a child has been killed because they were carrying a toy gun. The last time was in California went a 13 year old was shot six times in the back by a police officer. As far as I'm aware, the officer wasn't charged with anything as his actions were deemed to be lawful.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Number of murders and culpable homicides in Scotland last year = 61.

Number of police killings in the US in 2011 = 160.

Fucking hell.

Number of murders and culpable homicides in Scotland last year = 61.

The FBI reported that in 2011, "72 law enforcement officers from around the nation were killed in the line of duty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

I take it that member of the public verified that he was indeed an expert in weapons when he stated this....

considering that most of the posts on this thread have been about the police having a trigger happy policy about black youths then i thought it may be relevant to the thread.

Well, seeing as the 911 operator twice asked the caller whether the kid was black or white, it obviously is a race issue for them.

I doubt if the member of the public was a gun expert btw, probably just erring on the side of caution, unlike the coppers who seem to have slightly overreacted.

Well, seeing as the 911 operator twice asked the caller whether the kid was black or white, it obviously is a race issue for them.

Just thinking aloud here: could there be such a mistrust between the police and the public that they'd rather send a black police officer to a black caller to improve rapport in that case or whatever?

I doubt if the member of the public was a gun expert btw, probably just erring on the side of caution, unlike the coppers who seem to have slightly overreacted.

It is a standard procedure to ask such a question as it simply is a way of identifying the suspect , especially in areas of mixed race, if the officer who took the call had just simply been told a male brandishing a gun then it makes the job harder for him when he arrives on the scene, this way he knows what to look for on arrival,

the police can only react to the situation inhand, a member of the public speculating on wether a weapon is real or not isn't proof that it is, also the coloured seal which is usually on these airsoft guns had been taken off which may have caused confusion. The kid was told to raise his hands and he then pulled the gun from his waistband, As I said it isn't beyond belief that a kid in the states could get hold of a gun and use it, I don't think you can blame the police completley for not waiting to find out if it was a replica or not.

Nope. They're trained to shoot to kill, not shoot to maim a limb. If it gets to the stage where they feel it necessary to fire a gun, they're to do so with deadly force.

'Murica.

Same training as Scotland then.

Who would have thought that a larger area would be easier to hit? I'm astounded.

So why ask a stupid question about trying to shoot him in the leg?

Are you insinuating here that the cops were right to kill this wee guy?

Wanna point out the part where i said that, or indeed implied it, or perhaps insinuated it?

It's a country of extreme reaction , wether it's wars,Ebola outbreaks or guns .

I could go on about it forever but any country who has a policy that makes it you're right as a citizen to own a fire arm is certainly not something i would personally approve of. The amount of religious nuts there is also of grave concern

I could go on about it forever but any country who has a policy that makes it you're right as a citizen to own a fire arm is certainly not something i would personally approve of. The amount of religious nuts there is also of grave concern

It's perfectly legal to own firearms in the UK. And we aren't exactly short of religious zealots.

The problem is that they are now in a situation which has strengthened the pro gun lobby arguement , so many criminals have guns now that the idea they are protection is sadly true, long term it would benefit the country if they implemented the same laws that we have here but nobody in the States in this era wants to live through that change, fear plays such a major part in American society.

The problem is that they are now in a situation which has strengthened the pro gun lobby arguement , so many criminals have guns now that the idea they are protection is sadly true, long term it would benefit the country if they implemented the same laws that we have here but nobody in the States in this era wants to live through that change, fear plays such a major part in American society.

I suppose as sweet pete says we have the same problems here and that is just the same as us here. I just find their culture very concerning, do they not make people in court swear on a bible like they do with the US president etc as well? Coz thats pretty batty

Just saying I watched a video of it and Michael Brown definitely did attack the cop. There was no hands up about it.

I believe it's wrong and abhor Muricas gun laws but it's the whole system of gun culture that needs dealing with as opposed to the one cop who was under attack.

I suppose as sweet pete says we have the same problems here and that is just the same as us here. I just find their culture very concerning, do they not make people in court swear on a bible like they do with the US president etc as well? Coz thats pretty batty

:lol: aint no thang

Archived