Ferguson

America is a ridiculous country

I just did a quick count and have been to 14 different states and probably visited there about 30 times. I am sure that many on P&B have been there more. America is a brilliant country and, in many parts, absolutely gorgeous and with very nice and hospitable people. They also have brilliant science and technology.

They do have 3 things I see as problems:

• An underclass even larger than the UK's and no desire to change it.
  • A ridiculous idea that "guns aren't the problem: people are" with very little plan to change that aside from a few, small East-coast states.
  • A health care system that allows people to be too poor to be ill.

Aside from that we could learn a lot from American prowess.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could go on about it forever but any country who has a policy that makes it you're right as a citizen to own a fire arm is certainly not something i would personally approve of.

So Norway's a no no then, also Finland, Germany, France, in fact just about everywhere in Europe.

Just saying I watched a video of it and Michael Brown definitely did attack the cop. There was no hands up about it. I believe it's wrong and abhor Muricas gun laws but it's the whole system of gun culture that needs dealing with as opposed to the one cop who was under attack.

Got a link?

Just thinking aloud here: could there be such a mistrust between the police and the public that they'd rather send a black police officer to a black caller to improve rapport in that case or whatever?

Have you never seen 'Boyz in the Hood' or encountered officer Tenpenny in GTA San Andreas? :P

I think its patently clear that the US still has a real problem with racism - especially in organisations like police forces.

They also have a pretty big gun problem.

When these problems combine then people get angry, and rightly so. The sheer volume of incidents of police officers shooting black men (in particular) simply can't be argued with. I just wish they could organise an effective non-violent protest and get the looters under control.

Leaders like MLK don't come along very often though.

Also: You've never used a gun, that's plain.

1. Body mass, the torso, is a much easier shot.

2. Guy has a gun, put two shots in body mass he's unlikely to shoot back. Guy has a gun. fanny about trying to hit arms or legs and you will end up dead.

That's why our firearms officers are trained to shoot at the torso.

The terrorist is disorientated by the stun grenade, he doesn't know what's going on.....move and fire, and move and fire, and move and fire.

Number of murders and culpable homicides in Scotland last year = 61.

The FBI reported that in 2011, "72 law enforcement officers from around the nation were killed in the line of duty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

Oh yeah, checkmate.

Cos obviously by pointing out a shocking stat about killings, I'm on the side of the murderers.

Oh yeah, checkmate.

Cos obviously by pointing out a shocking stat about killings, I'm on the side of the murderers.

Did I say you were on the side of the murderers? I just pointed out that a policeman is killed every week in America, who knows how many wounded. It's a gun culture right enough where all sides are victims. I think the US cops are less about institutional racism, more about looking after their own and perpetuating the "them and us" culture - just like cops the world over.

So why ask a stupid question about trying to shoot him in the leg?

It wasn't stupid, unless of course you think it's better to kill someone rather than attempt to incapacitate or disable them first.

For a supposed teacher, you don't come across as the sharpest.

Waken up to its problems?

Every major shooting gets wall to wall media coverage.

The gun lobby are simply too powerful. They have the politicians in their pockets and daft folk scared shitless by using a corrupt media to get their fucked up message across. A lethal combination (if you pardon the pun).

Waken up to its problems?

Every major shooting gets wall to wall media coverage.

The gun lobby are simply too powerful. They have the politicians in their pockets and daft folk scared shitless by using a corrupt media to get their fucked up message across. A lethal combination (if you pardon the pun).

I don't just think it's the gun lobbys. We went to a shooting range when we were over there and it was frightening. The girl working there was the same age as me and told me she, and all of her friends , carry a gun whenever they leave their home. She called over a couple of guys in the shop who hand concealed guns. Looking at them you would have never known they were carrying.

The gun problem in America is engrained in their culture and it's a lot deeper than the lobbys. People firmly believe it is their given right to be able to shoot anyone who poses a threat to them.

I think its patently clear that the US still has a real problem with racism - especially in organisations like police

I'd say straightforward cuntism is the main issue as far as the police go.

I think its patently clear that the US still has a real problem with racism - especially in organisations like police forces.

also have a pretty big gun problem.

Maybe right first part, though the Policeman said race did not come into his decision to shoot.

To say it did may be seen as a racist statement in its-self.

Part two, yes the USA has a gun isure.

Cop now saying the kid tried to grab his gun from him and shoot him. Combine this with the footage of him being aggressive and robbing the store and its hard to make a case for racism etc.

Archived