Queen of the South vs St. Johnstone

jamamafegan

Reluctance to accept a new player and maybe a bit of prejudice against one of our most consistent players. Well done Lewis for your contribution so far.

More starts than any other player. For that reason alone Fowler knows more than all the internet fools.

More appearances. Not more starts though. Plenty of the squad have more starts than Kidd.

Why are we "prejudiced" against him?

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reluctance to accept a new player and maybe a bit of prejudice against one of our most consistent players. Well done Lewis for your contribution so far.

More starts than any other player. For that reason alone Fowler knows more than all the internet fools.

Couple of good performances doesn't fill me full of belief he is the answer. He is a decent young player no more, hopefully he gets a level of consistency to his performances and proves his doubters wrong but I am not fully convinced yet.

Why the irrational antipathy to a player who put in solid performances ( more times than any other player) but was picked on for the odd mistake! Hmmm...

Is that a response to me. I`ve no antipathy, irrational or otherwise, to him. I think he`s young, inconsistent and has some promise. He was excellent 2nd half last week and again today. Maybe wing back suits him better than the other positions he has played. Hope he continues to improve.

Really don`t get what your driving at here.

As relatively busy as it was the East Stand still had plenty of spare seats in it and all the home fans in it got an unrestricted view. A decision was taken on economic grounds to use Section 5 for St Johnstone if they needed it rather than open the terrace. You are entitled not to agree with that decision if you wish but that doesn't make it "shambolic".

Away fans could enter the home end every single week if they wanted. Just as ours could enter the home end at every away ground we've been at this season if they wanted. Apparently two individuals did walk into our end and cause a problem on the terrace. They didn't do so because they didn't have seats in the away end though. I expect their actions will have follow up consequences both for them and in the stewarding arrangements.

There was no "segregation area". Well, there was but it was two seats wide. Section 5 was always allocated as a contingency for St Johnstone fans, it just wasn't opened up for them until they had filled the rest of their section because if they hadn't needed it with walk ups on the day then it would have been opened up from the other side and our own fans allowed back into it.

As per above, that section was always allocated to St Johnstone. It was cordoned off initially to ensure they did actually need it before it was brought into use. If they hadn't needed it home fans would have been allowed back into it as they

usually are.

Sorry SD but there can be no excuse for the away fans arrangements today, it was very embarrassing and unprofessional of the club and the only reason I can see for it was pure penny pinching in not wanting to open the terrace for the game.

Every man and their dog knew that a very large travelling crowd was expected today to watch the Cup holders except for the powers at be at Palmerston it seems.

It was only by good fortune that there was no major incident at the game as the potential was there for it to turn very nasty indeed.

You say there was 2 rows of empty seats left for segregation? From my first half vantage point in the main stand I could clearly see that this divide disappeared just before kick off leaving no segregation or stewards/police at all between the two sets of fans. Had the St Johnstone singing section been closer to the home fans and not at the end section of the stand then anything could have been possible!!!

Out of interest, what was the contingency plan if St Johnstone had sold out their seated allocation in the lead up to kick off? Or, was there not one!!!

This needs to be a lesson to the Queens board and to even suggest it was a well organised situation is ludicrous and "head in the sand". Had it been a game against a club with more notorious fans the outcome could have been very different and I'm sure Queens would have been dragged over the coals for it.

Anyway, it was a great result and performance by the team today......roll on Monday for a favourable draw......'mon the South :-)

Someone will need to explain to me in what way it makes any sense to abuse a new player on his debut in the manner Swanson was treated today. He had a poor game and was on a different wavelength to the rest of them but what was achieved by it? I fear a lot of folk have made up their mind about him because of the history he has with Saints from his United days. And as poor as he was, he arguably still offered more than McFadden, with whom I'm not far from being at the stage of caring little if he doesn't feature for us again. The guy is finished.

Ignoring that Swanson and McFadden actually played poorly, when you put Kane into the mix to make our most attacking three players today, none of them had played a single minute with each other before, which in hindsight seems a crazy situation to put yourself in needlessly. Kane might have been disappointed not to start and it would have been harsh after his performances against Aberdeen and Motherwell but at least Graham and McFadden have some sort of understanding from the good run we had before Christmas. Easy said after the event though.

In addition, not sure what Michael O'Halloran has done to find himself out of the side either. If it's down to him being unhappy at being substituted against Thistle then that's also cost us today but putting all the above aside and looking at it more generally, not sure anyone will be too shocked that we've come up short as the staleness has been lingering for a while and there is a lack of inventiveness away from home. It was yet another game on our travels where we've failed to register a serious effort on target. When you consider Queens were missing their first choice goalkeeper, our third choice, that's pretty criminal. Thought Atkinson looked perfectly composed and may have coped fine on the day but to not even ask the question.

We'll bounce back as we always do but I expect more performances like today's before the season ends and there might be a bit of work for the manager to do this summer. He could do worse than look to Palmerston for a few players if they are available.

Confirmed from Wright that Macca was rested because 'he cannot play on plastic pitches'. Him and Midge will return for Celtic game.

As I said before the game, that sort of comment/decision is frankly ludicrous. Theres absolutely no reason any player couldnt play on the new generation of artificial pitches

Good to hear that Kidd played well, there were promising signs in the second half last week. Good energy player and hopefully he can be a bit more confident on the ball. Rather than running down cup de sacs and being like a rabbit in headlights.

This team deserves a cup run and hopefully the lasting legacy of this squad is at least a trip to Hampden.

Kidd is starting to remind me of a young Craig Reid. He looked a little shaky to begin with but then turned into a really good player for us. Hopefully, Kidd goes on to do the same.

There were a lot more than 800 there, which I'm sure 99% of the people were expecting. It was on here, that there were 14 coaches and a few minibuses coming down.

Also, in all seriousness, how the hell are the away clubs going to know how many fans have decided to travel down!

There were more than 800 but not more than they were allocated in the stand. It looked like a few away supporters were sent into empty seats in the home end but with no history of trouble between the clubs or from the saints supporters it was hardly a big issue. Obviously, the fans who made their way from the away end into the home terracing is another matter but the two dont really seem to be connected.

I doubt there are any Queens fans on here who havent been to an away ground and seen the initial allocation fill up and other areas opened up.

Well done Queens, deserved win. The determined, all action, free scoring St Johnstone of last season is a dim and distant memory, whilst now we've gotten used to drifting along aimlessly in matches hoping something happens until we fall behind and have a late push to no avail.

Would like to see a QOS or Inverness win the cup so they get to experience the buzz that we did last May.

Plus side - Palmerston is a great old fashioned venue, good size and in a great location near so many pubs. The stewarding seemed pretty chilled and left people to stand and sing and generally enjoy their day

Minus - 15 minutes to get a piss at half time, like many I missed the first goal. There's no excuse in a relatively new stand to not be able to provide enough toilets. Also the queues for the catering were even longer, I didn't bother with it, and they ran out of pies not long into the half time interval. This happens regularly at McD as well. A few saints fans were looking for seats after the game had started when a whole end of the ground stood empty.

Will football clubs ever get their act together and provide a hassle free experience for punters?? After all these years they still can't have more than enough space (until they used the extra 'segregation' section eventually) enough food or enough toilets. It doesn't really seem a lot to ask for. Not specifically aimed at Queens, it just seems every away ground you visit there's always something. I suppose the paying punter isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things. Moan over!!

Good luck to the Doonhamers in the quarters.

Quote from Mustapha

Had the St Johnstone singing section been closer to the home fans and not at the end section of the stand then anything could have been possible!!!

There would have been a fuckin riot if they had mobbed up in the middle of the stand and not at the end section.

Back at you scunner. Why criticise our most consistent player?

Some people criticise him because they don`t think he is very good. I think he has promise, you think he is good.

I still fail to see the prejudice in any of these views.

I suspect you are in a pretty small minority if you think he is our most consistent player in terms of performance, consistency of selection is of course a different matter.

I`m intrigued that you feel there is prejudice.

Feel free to elucidate what you mean by prejudice in this matter or feel free to keep deflecting what is a pretty simple question..

Someone will need to explain to me in what way it makes any sense to abuse a new player on his debut in the manner Swanson was treated today. He had a poor game and was on a different wavelength to the rest of them but what was achieved by it? I fear a lot of folk have made up their mind about him because of the history he has with Saints from his United days. And as poor as he was, he arguably still offered more than McFadden, with whom I'm not far from being at the stage of caring little if he doesn't feature for us again. The guy is finished.

Ignoring that Swanson and McFadden actually played poorly, when you put Kane into the mix to make our most attacking three players today, none of them had played a single minute with each other before, which in hindsight seems a crazy situation to put yourself in needlessly. Kane might have been disappointed not to start and it would have been harsh after his performances against Aberdeen and Motherwell but at least Graham and McFadden have some sort of understanding from the good run we had before Christmas. Easy said after the event though.

In addition, not sure what Michael O'Halloran has done to find himself out of the side either. If it's down to him being unhappy at being substituted against Thistle then that's also cost us today but putting all the above aside and looking at it more generally, not sure anyone will be too shocked that we've come up short as the staleness has been lingering for a while and there is a lack of inventiveness away from home. It was yet another game on our travels where we've failed to register a serious effort on target. When you consider Queens were missing their first choice goalkeeper, our third choice, that's pretty criminal. Thought Atkinson looked perfectly composed and may have coped fine on the day but to not even ask the question.

We'll bounce back as we always do but I expect more performances like today's before the season ends and there might be a bit of work for the manager to do this summer. He could do worse than look to Palmerston for a few players if they are available.

Cannot disagree with much of that. Swanson wasnt great but the reaction he got was ridiculous given he has been with saints days rather than weeks.

O'Hallaron came on and missed a sitter but still gave more than Swanson and, in particular, McFadden showed. McFadden has showed flashes here and there but hes luxury we can't afford and especially alongside someone like Swanson.

Millar and Maclean not "risked" in probably our most meaningful game left this season is disappointing.

Archived