Queen of the South vs St. Johnstone

jamamafegan

Thank you for the comprehensive answer. It goes some way to explaining why the cost of such a decision is not negligible. As a genuine inquiry however, is it necessary to go the whole hog in the ways you suggest? Can't fans be admitted, and allowed to exit, via the new stand and be allowed to go onto the terracing as they please? Does this necessitate the provision of toilets and catering for each area?I recognise that this area is far more regulated than I appreciate, but we seemed to get away with more of a half-way house when hosting Rangers in last year's Ramsden's, at least in terms of entry and exit points.

There was nothing different about last year's Rangers game. Not sure why it keeps getting suggested there was? There was no movement between stand and terrace at that game. Separate turnstiles were used, there were portaloos, a catering van was brought in and there was a separate exit (the lack of a second exit being the main reason capacity at the time was only 898). There were a load more stewards as a result of it being open too. There was nothing "halfway house" about it.

If the away end is near capacity then movement would not be allowed between the stand and terrace as to do so could mean the stand being over capacity and a breach of the safety certificate. It could conceivably be allowed in games where we are nowhere near away stand capacity maybe but we would still need extra stewards to cover the area so there would be cost ramifications. It is something we are discussing though to see if there may be a workaround, for future games if not this one.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was nothing different about last year's Rangers game. Not sure why it keeps getting suggested there was? There was no movement between stand and terrace at that game. Separate turnstiles were used, there were portaloos, a catering van was brought in and there was a separate exit (the lack of a second exit being the main reason capacity at the time was only 898). There were a load more stewards as a result of it being open too. There was nothing "halfway house" about it.

If the away end is near capacity then movement would not be allowed between the stand and terrace as to do so could mean the stand being over capacity and a breach of the safety certificate. It could conceivably be allowed in games where we are nowhere near away stand capacity maybe but we would still need extra stewards to cover the area so there would be cost ramifications. It is something we are discussing though to see if there may be a workaround, for future games if not this one.

Ok, glad to hear it's being discussed - it suggests a recognition of the idea that it's desirable to offer some choice to visitors and to have spectators on all four sides.

The fact is that Rangers fans were admitted and released alongside the new stand, rather than via the turnstiles that have since been opened on Terregles Street, so whether or not the half way house description pleases you, it's not the case that "there was nothing different about last year's Rangers game".

Hopefully the home fans turn out in numbers to support the team next sat against the cup holders.

This should be a classic scottish cup tie played at Palmerston with Queens having a great chance of causing an upset and going thru to the last 8.

Team wise two def changes with Zander Clark sitting the game out against his club & Mark Millar out having played for Peterhead in an earlier round.

Would think Jim Atkinson & poss Paul Burns taking these positions, and there is also Ian Russell and Dan Carmichael who am sure will be keen to get a start suppose it'll depend on the team formation picked by Fowler, exciting times to be a Queens supporter.

The fact is that Rangers fans were admitted and released alongside the new stand, rather than via the turnstiles that have since been opened on Terregles Street, so whether or not the half way house description pleases you, it's not the case that "there was nothing different about last year's Rangers game".

The entrance turnstiles were in a physically different place to where they are now. Not sure how that constututes a halfway house by any stretch of the imagination. There was no movement between stand and terrace, no shared entry and no shared facilities. We could go back to using that turnstile entry point now, it wouldn't change anything.

They were not released that way though. The exit was directly onto Terregles Street. There is no terrace exit back to that side.

How many fans are St Johnstone expecting to bring to Palmerston bearing in mind they are the cup holders and it is a 3pm sat scottish cup tie?

A decent price of £16 might encourage more away fans to attend unlike the £24 charged at Motherwell today.

The entrance turnstiles were in a physically different place to where they are now. Not sure how that constututes a halfway house by any stretch of the imagination. There was no movement between stand and terrace, no shared entry and no shared facilities. We could go back to using that turnstile entry point now, it wouldn't change anything.

They were not released that way though. The exit was directly onto Terregles Street. There is no terrace exit back to that side.

So there wasn't "nothing different" then.

Why did we go to additional lengths to install turnstiles on Terregles Street for this season?

Was the increase it enabled in capacity, and therefore presumably in actual attendances, such as to justify this costly step, given that it's all about the bottom line?

Croft is suspended for us so that'll be at least one change. I'd keep Scobbie in for the threat Queens will pose and the artificial surface and McFadden certainly won't start, if he's even involved at all, after picking up an injury on one at Kilmarnock. In the space of two games, Chris Kane has probably taken possession of a starting jersey alongside MacLean. I would bring Mackay back in for Gary Miller and hopefully Chris Millar will be fit. Ideal team at this stage wouldn't be too different from TSAC's above. Maybe looks attacking but not far detached from what we were using in the second part of last season. Do you still need two U21 players in the squad for Scottish Cup games? Do 1993 born players count? Kane will be one but means either Caddis (1993) or Brown (1994) need to be in squad.

Mannus

Mackay - Anderson - Scobbie - Easton

Wotherspoon - Millar - Davidson - O'Halloran

MacLean - Kane

If St.Johnstone bring over a thousand I imagine they will get more of the stand.

Get the terracing open, it's a cup tie and should have as much of an atmosphere as possible.

If that figure is true the terrace should be open as it was for His last week.

As long as it is not raining I think it would be a good idea to put them in the terracing rather than the stand anyway. We should utilise it more.

Only 5 days until the match now and it's looking like we'll have a fully fit squad to choose from. Millar and Mackay weren't risked against Motherwell, but I think we'll see both start on Saturday. Wouldn't be too surprised to see O'Halloran and Wright start either.

I'd like to see us go;

Mannus

Mackay Anderson Wright Easton

Wotherspoon Millar Davidson O'Halloran

Maclean Kane

Harsh on Croft, Lappin and Scobbie, but I'm hoping we start with the pace and movement which this team gives us. Lappin was much better against Aberdeen on the left, but I think O'Halloran is a better option. If needs be, Maclean can drop in to make it more of a 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1

6 outfield spaces on the bench for Miller, Scobbie, Croft, McDonald, Brown, Caddis, Lappin, McFadden and Graham to fight over.

Massive headache for the manager.

Will be interesting to see if we stick with the back 3 or go back to a 4. I'd imagine we'll go either:

Atkinson

Dowie Durnan Higgins

Kidd Burns Paton Mcshane Holt

Reilly Lyle

Or

Atkinson

Dowie Durnan Higgins Holt

Kidd/Carmichael Burns Mcshane Paton/Russell

Reilly Lyle

I think I prefer the 3-5-2 with the players we have, Holt and Kidd are both well suited to the wing back position, although it means you miss the threat offered by Carmichael and Russell.

I don't think anyone expected us to go with a back three on Saturday so it'll be interesting to see the logic. Was it a tactic chosen specifically for the Cowdenbeath game? Was it something Fowler has planned for this game and he wanted to give it a trial run? Or perhaps it's a formation we are going to go with long term.

I wasn't at the game so I don't know how well it worked. I agree though that a wing-back role should suit Holt and Kidd, and it sorts the headache of having to pick 3 from 2 from Dowie, Durnan and Higgins who are all very good centre-halves.

Hibs completely dominated the midfield against us the week before so it was possibly a reaction to this putting an extra man in midfield, but Cowdenbeath certainly don't have the quality of Scott Allan, and I'm not sure St Johnstone will either.

Although it's a completely different game, it'd be a brave call making too many changes after a 5-0 victory. Aside from the enforced two I'd probably stick with Saturday's team, leaving Russell and Carmichael as good options from the bench.

I'm really looking forward to this, I love the Scottish Cup.

I'd probably go back to a 4 seeing as Danny and beany are better suited to not playing on a plowed field and that Lewis Kidd gives me the fear. That being said Paton usually plays well in big cup games so maybe he'll keep it the same.

Archived