Category Bs v Terrors - Boxing Day plus 1

I can understand why Saints fans may see it as sour grapes, but all of us who watch our respective teams week in, week out develop an understanding of what our players are capable of.

You may think the Saints players were excellent yesterday, I can't argue with your perspective. I can say that many of our players who had a decent game against Celtic were just not at the races yesterday. So no I didn't think it was a good game because I don't think our players played to their potential.

BTW I've been at many game were we've been beaten and thought they were good games, yesterday's didn't come into that category.

I have seen saints play loads better than yesterday and I wouldn't say it was a vintage performance. It was gritty and determined performance by saints. I watched United game last week and personally would have said you played the better football yesterday . Against Celtic I felt you taken advantage of a lot of breaks etc where yesterday you didn't get the same rub of the green. I'm a big fan of the talent on the pitch for United but I really think you could get a better manager . I think he holding you back with his one way of playing. I'd love to see erskine in saints team as he exactly the type of player we require.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't two great performances yesterday. We can play much better than that, but perveresly thats as well as we've played this season in the league. I just enjoyed the frenetic nature of the game in the second half, seems likes it was just never ending attacks with the ball swinging from one end to the other with plenty of fight and stuff for the fans to get involved in.

I had no idea what Widge was on about earlier, but it seems United fans are having a go at Ciftci on another forum? If so thats mental, he was a class above yesterday until he got completely isolated against one of the best defensive units in the league, the moment he was surrounded by Lappin and Millar and manages to nutmeg one and leave them both standing almost had me applauding.

Just remembered Frazer Wright winning a foot race with Ciftci :lol:

Frazer Wright is definitely in Ciftci's head, the poor man probably spent yesterday having flashbacks to the cup final

Thinking about the game yesterday and the Aberdeen game. I wonder if we sit deep when the mid field are worried about a weak defender?

In the Aberdeen game we had Souter on in the first half and yesterday we had an injured Morris on second half. In both cases we stopped closing down the opposition mid field with inevitable results. Fault sits with JMac.

Agree with points about cifti. Thought he did well yesterday given how isolated he was. St J totally worked out their tactics though and had him covered like a rash. This is where we need a plan B or at least another out and out striker to change our formation and adapt.

Really enjoyed that yesterday, the spirit and character of our team is unbelievable. At 1-0 I would have been happy with a draw, think utd are a team who thrive a bit on being ahead with a really pacey counter attacking style, so it could easily have gotten away from us.

Neither team hit top gear, but the match was always engrossing. Thought both supports were very subdued until their team scored, especially with both teams going well, a big crowd, and a Christmas match. Maybe the Baltic conditions!

Agree with the comments about Cifti, he's a quality player. He might be up and down but if he played at his best every week he wouldn't be long for this league. Think fojut looks a really commanding centre back, big improvement on last season for them.

Am always a bit surprised about how critical utd fans are of their manager. Sure he makes mistakes, but he took them to 4th and a cup final, they're 2nd equal just now and still in both cups, with a team full of young talent. Brought through other youngsters and sold them for over £5m. Surely when you compare him to where you were before he took over he's a big improvement??

Saints have one of the best defences in the league.. Thought the 4 of them were outstanding yesterday.

If one of the diddies can maintain a really good run, it might yet be possible to put a bit of pressure on celtic.. Would be brilliant to see the panic set in

Thinking about the game yesterday and the Aberdeen game. I wonder if we sit deep when the mid field are worried about a weak defender?

In the Aberdeen game we had Souter on in the first half and yesterday we had an injured Morris on second half. In both cases we stopped closing down the opposition mid field with inevitable results. Fault sits with JMac.

Agree with points about cifti. Thought he did well yesterday given how isolated he was. St J totally worked out their tactics though and had him covered like a rash. This is where we need a plan B or at least another out and out striker to change our formation and adapt.

I could be wrong but I think that he seen it working to (some) effect against Celtic last week. Probably the main difference being that we played reasonably well on the counter and Celtic didn't get the best of luck.

We really should get a psychologist in or something :lol: - try and convince the players that the Saints defence, while effective, isn't a duet of Maldini and Baresi.

Any Saints fans confirm when Wright, McKay (sp) and Anderson plan to retire...?

Saints supporters, who probably only watch United a few times a season, telling us about Ciftci and McNamara!

Ciftci is an excellent football player who frustrates of almost a weekly basis. He can be petulant, disinterested and selfish; if he were a decent striker giving his all it would be different, but he's an exceptional striker that could offer so much more but seems to have these flaws that have no indication of disappearing. Personally I would love one full season of Ciftci at the top of his game without the 'issues'; if we could get that and he then left on a free I could live with that.

McNamara is the longest serving manager in the Scottish Premiership. He has set the team out in a formation that he likes and often works, but he seems as tactically naive as he did the first day he set foot in Tannadice. Christ, I used to rage at Houston's non use of subbies - McNamara is as bad, yesterday being a prime example. I posted earlier that he cost us points against Motherwell, Aberdeen and, yesterday, against St Johnstone and I stand by that.

The fact that he was prepared to let Brian Graham go on loan without bringing in another striker is a ridiculous decision. I not one of the ba pots calling for his head but we have every right to expect him to learn from his two years in charge.

Saints supporters, who probably only watch United a few times a season, telling us about Ciftci and McNamara!

Ciftci is an excellent football player who frustrates of almost a weekly basis. He can be petulant, disinterested and selfish; if he were a decent striker giving his all it would be different, but he's an exceptional striker that could offer so much more but seems to have these flaws that have no indication of disappearing. Personally I would love one full season of Ciftci at the top of his game without the 'issues'; if we could get that and he then left on a free I could live with that.

McNamara is the longest serving manager in the Scottish Premiership. He has set the team out in a formation that he likes and often works, but he seems as tactically naive as he did the first day he set foot in Tannadice. Christ, I used to rage at Houston's non use of subbies - McNamara is as bad, yesterday being a prime example. I posted earlier that he cost us points against Motherwell, Aberdeen and, yesterday, against St Johnstone and I stand by that.

The fact that he was prepared to let Brian Graham go on loan without bringing in another striker is a ridiculous decision. I not one of the ba pots calling for his head but we have every right to expect him to learn from his two years in charge.

To be fair he has been lucky to an extent in that I'm not sure how much he was involved in the youngsters that we sold on and perhaps arrived at just the right time.

However I think he has done a great job - while it might not always lead to a win I can't remember that many Utd games I have watched that have been anywhere close to some of the shite we watched under Houston (and indeed a variety of managers before him).

One thing you can say which is to his credit is that he is willing to give young players a chance.

Much like United supporters, who only see us a few times a season and usually see us win, telling us we have a shite team of cloggers.

That's just football fans for you. You are lucky to have a player as good as Ciftci and a manager who has taken your team forward as well as McNamara. We're lucky to have a manager as good as Wright at building team spirit and a squad without any egos.

To be fair he has been lucky to an extent in that I'm not sure how much he was involved in the youngsters that we sold on and perhaps arrived at just the right time.

However I think he has done a great job - while it might not always lead to a win I can't remember that many Utd games I have watched that have been anywhere close to some of the shite we watched under Houston (and indeed a variety of managers before him).

One thing you can say which is to his credit is that he is willing to give young players a chance.

As I say AM, I'm not one of those calling for his head, I'm just making what I believe is justifiable criticism.

Much like United supporters, who only see us a few times a season and usually see us win, telling us we have a shite team of cloggers.

That's just football fans for you. You are lucky to have a player as good as Ciftci and a manager who has taken your team forward as well as McNamara. We're lucky to have a manager as good as Wright at building team spirit and a squad without any egos.

Can't speak for anyone else but I've never called St Johnstone, in this thread or any other, a team of cloggers.

Groundhog Day again

Another spineless, tactically inept performance against a glorified pub team when thousands of Arabs have spent good money to come along

I was well hacked off again yesterday, and speaking to many arabs in the pubs of perth and dundee last night I think the tide of Arab opinion is starting to turn against Jackie Mac.

He needs to demonstrate that he can learn from his mistakes, and so far i'm not convinced that he can.

Archived