P&B's Top 40 Films of the 90s

Ludo*1

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good film with plenty of style, quality soundtrack, and a few memorable scenes and dialogue. It's just not nearly as good as it's made out to be imo. Top 30-40er, perhaps.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's better than most of Tarantino's recent efforts (dare I suggest that he himself isn't nearly as good as he's made out to be?) and I really enjoy it. Top 10 films of the 1990s though? No.

It's very iconic, even if some of the scenes were ripped off, and if you can get that then it can elevate even pretty shit films a long way. Not that reservoir dogs is bad or anything. I like it, just wouldn't make my list.

Similar thoughts, great film on a relative shoestring but not quite up there where some of the other output of the decade, or indeed some of QT's other output for the decade.

Iconic is probably a word that sums it up well. The first time you saw the Mr Blonde scene and the Mexican standoff. :o

The idea that it's a better film than Jackie Brown is sick though.

Reservoir Dogs is a worthy film I'd say. Engrossing from the start. The one fault is that they all appear to be arseholes to some extent, but even then, I give a lot of credit to Tarantino for still managing to make me care about what's going on as a result.

NewDomDom, on 12 Mar 2015 - 20:38, said:

Reservoir Dogs is a worthy film I'd say. Engrossing from the start. The one fault is that they all appear to be arseholes to some extent, but even then, I give a lot of credit to Tarantino for still managing to make me care about what's going on as a result.

Mr White?

The guy was robbing banks at the end of the day. For as noble as he tries to be, he's still not Mr. Wonderful. Which is why I say "to some extent".

I suppose he's someone you can root for because he seems to have some sort of moral code about him. Think Mr. Pink is someone you can get behind purely on the strength of how good Buscemi is and how well he plays the role.

Mr. Orange and Lugless the cop are surely forces of good- but in any case I'm not sure that "too many bad guys" is a legitimate complaint for a film, especially in the crime genre.

Albino Rover, on 12 Mar 2015 - 21:04, said:

Mr. Orange and Lugless the cop are surely forces of good- but in any case I'm not sure that "too many bad guys" is a legitimate complaint for a film, especially in the crime genre.

While the best crime dramas have this as the case, there doesn't tend to be a middle ground with them. They tend to be excellent or shite in my experience.

Scorsese is someone who knew how to do it well, but he tended to have people be such absolute massive c***s, that you wind up rooting for the people who are less so by default. It's something that he's always been brilliant at.

I think you have to be a fairly gifted movie maker to get it right.

7. The Shawshank Redemption.

519NBNHX5BL.jpg

Seen a lot of hatred for this film in the build-up to the list and don't understand it, yeah, it's maybe not the best film ever made (Copyright: IMDb) but it's still a fantastic film and Morgan Freeman cements his name in film history as the go to narrator in films. Beautifully made from a great short story by Stephen King.

The biggest surprise to be was that this was struggling to make the list until the last 2-3 days when almost everyone that voted for it was giving it a 9 or a 10. This was the film that very nearly missed out on making the list at all, but some sure fire favourites at the last minute sealed its place at number 7 in our list.

Points Received: 60.

My #2 movie. My #1 hasn't come out yet either, which is a pretty good sign I'd say, as there's no way it isn't going to be in the list.

I just love The Shawshank Redemption. Whether it be Robbins' dead eyed performance for much of it before he opens up, or Morgan Freeman just effortlessly pulling off the best mate, or the arsehole warden and captain of the guards.

Speaking of the captain of the guards btw, some wonderful stuff from that guy.

"Real funny. You're gonna look even funnier sucking my dick with no teeth."

Archived