County v Maureens 17/1/15 - how many points are at stake really?

Well that was a disaster for County. Why do we persevere with Carey taking every dead ball? I have said this for weeks but he is terrible with them. I long for Vigurs and Brittain taking everything once again.

County really should have won that game, an awful miss by Curran and a wonderful save at the end of the game really both should have been goals. However St Mirren could easily have been three clear before the Arquin incident. Arquin does catch the player but he is not endangering him, nor is it reckless. Anything more than a booking is incredibly harsh.

I think Boyce deserves a chance to start games, he looks a natural finisher every time he comes on. Our defence is utterly woeful. Burgess and Boyd surely would be better than what we have currently. I know we are hampered by injuries but it is looking very bleak. With our next three games being Celtic, Caley and Aberdeen we might just see the end of Jim in the next few weeks. Although I would have sympathy for him. The Adams family recruitment process and failure to retain players has severely hampered our cause this season.

It certainly isn't over. But the squad as it is is not good enough to stay up, or compete with HIbs in the inevitable playoff games. Our midfield is crying out for a Stuart Kettlewell type player.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was a disaster for County. Why do we persevere with Carey taking every dead ball? I have said this for weeks but he is terrible with them. I long for Vigurs and Brittain taking everything once again.

Was it not Woods who took most of the corners?

Was it not Woods who took most of the corners?

Yes you are correct I should have been more specific, I was thinking of free kicks in particular. I can't blame Carey for how woeful those ones were!

In one sense, it would have been good to have had Brittain go in for his foot op when we expected him to, so that he'd be ready about now to come back into the team and start hitting FKs again. In the other, I dread to think how Toshney would have coped when up against left wingers on a weekly basis.

County were very disappointing again.

Mitigating factors:

Woods actually almost got us a goal when he forced a great finger-tip save with that deft touch that almost went over the keeper and in.

Carey was more effective than most and worked hard throughout.

Saunders I thought did very little wrong, though I'd guess that first goal must have included some element of responsibility. His passes and decisions were pretty good on the whole from what I could see.

Boyce scored a goal.

Reckord contributed, didn't do too much wrong.

Irvine had some good touches but it didn't produce much.

that's it

Performances were generally poor. What on earth has happened to the Paul Quin we signed and looked so good for a number of weeks?

Toot-toot we are doomed.

You're not going to like this but what was he doing? To me it looks like he was upset by the challenge that knocked him out the ground and stamped on Toshney. He wasn't trying to get the ball.

Was it a red? Debatable but look at his body language. That's the huffy Arquin we've been watching and that's what he does when he doesn't like what's happening. I may be wrong but I don't think you'll win a challenge on the red.

You're not going to like this but what was he doing? To me it looks like he was upset by the challenge that knocked him out the ground and stamped on Toshney. He wasn't trying to get the ball.

Was it a red? Debatable but look at his body language. That's the huffy Arquin we've been watching and that's what he does when he doesn't like what's happening. I may be wrong but I don't think you'll win a challenge on the red.

I think it was 2 players going in for a 50/50 , the ball was there to be won ( which going by the direction of the ball I think Arquin won it) . He definitely caught Toshney but I don't think there was malice in it, I don't think his foot went in high enough for him to try and do damage. If it was that bad a tackle Dodds and McIntyre would be going ape on the touch line.I think if that's a red card you'd have to give 3/4 of them every game. But it's all about opinions :)

Britain went in high on Kelly late in the game and we didn't even get a foul.

He certainly never 'stamped' anyone. Did he even have time to be upset by the challenge? If he was upset he wasn't even claiming for a foul, either after the Quinn challenge or after his own tackle.

If this is a red card incident then clearly every game of football would end with about 8 players each on the park.

I think it sums it up when you look at everyone else in the vicinity of the tackle, aside from Richard Brittain. If a challenge is clearly reckless and worthy of a red in such close proximity to the opposing bench and fans, then there's usually at least a bit of a fracas, gesturing and pushing and shoving. McIntyre and I assume, Dodds both claim a foul, McIntyre even puts his hands straight back in his pockets when it's given, they have as good a view as the 4th official, they clearly didn't feel it warranted the punishment it did. From the camera behind the goal, none of the fans in the main stand seem too outraged at the challenge either.

My mate who's a HL ref ended up coming along as his game was off and he thought it was incredibly harsh, albeit he had seen reds given for similar in bad tempered games.

But the AR3( 4th official in ref speak), is just as entitled to offer assistance to the referee as the other two assistants.

He certainly never 'stamped' anyone. Did he even have time to be upset by the challenge? If he was upset he wasn't even claiming for a foul, either after the Quinn challenge or after his own tackle.

If this is a red card incident then clearly every game of football would end with about 8 players each on the park.

I think it sums it up when you look at everyone else in the vicinity of the tackle, aside from Richard Brittain. If a challenge is clearly reckless and worthy of a red in such close proximity to the opposing bench and fans, then there's usually at least a bit of a fracas, gesturing and pushing and shoving. McIntyre and I assume, Dodds both claim a foul, McIntyre even puts his hands straight back in his pockets when it's given, they have as good a view as the 4th official, they clearly didn't feel it warranted the punishment it did. From the camera behind the goal, none of the fans in the main stand seem too outraged at the challenge either.

It's certainly debatable but I'll be amazed if that is over-turned on appeal.

Yet another red card controversy has taken away slightly from what was simply a superb performance and result from ourselves.

At the start of the game we just blew County away and seemed to be getting in behind them every time we went forward. McLean was at the centre of everything as usual. Getting to the stage now where we just expect that kind of performance from Kenny, he's a top performer at this level and has been for years, he's now added consistency to his undoubted ability. Should have passed to Arquin though!

It was also another top performance from young Mallan. It's remarkable that we've rolled another 18 year old midfielder off the production line who's just strolled into our starting 11 and immediately looked more than good enough for top flight football. Great bit of skill from him for our first goal, and talk about energy for the second. To get himself up the park at that stage of the game when we've just played almost an hour with 10 men... Superb stuff. He never stops running and he's got that bit of quality about him on the ball and infront of goal.

Hopefully this isn't another false start. Before the cup break we have a couple of home games against the Dundee clubs and then Thistle away... Time to get that home win I think!

Yet another red card controversy has taken away slightly from what was simply a superb performance and result from ourselves.

At the start of the game we just blew County away and seemed to be getting in behind them every time we went forward. McLean was at the centre of everything as usual. Getting to the stage now where we just expect that kind of performance from Kenny, he's a top performer at this level and has been for years, he's now added consistency to his undoubted ability. Should have passed to Arquin though!

It was also another top performance from young Mallan. It's remarkable that we've rolled another 18 year old midfielder off the production line who's just strolled into our starting 11 and immediately looked more than good enough for top flight football. Great bit of skill from him for our first goal, and talk about energy for the second. To get himself up the park at that stage of the game when we've just played almost an hour with 10 men... Superb stuff. He never stops running and he's got that bit of quality about him on the ball and infront of goal.

Hopefully this isn't another false start. Before the cup break we have a couple of home games against the Dundee clubs and then Thistle away... Time to get that home win I think!

FWIW, you guy's aren't very good. You are however better than us, because we are absolutely shite. No doubt about it, unless something drastic happens we're going down.

You'll be 10th at best if things work in your favour. But in all likelihood, good luck against Hibs.

FWIW, you guy's aren't very good. You are however better than us, because we are absolutely shite. No doubt about it, unless something drastic happens we're going down.

You'll be 10th at best if things work in your favour. But in all likelihood, good luck against Hibs.

67037-Christian-Bale-oh-kiss-reactio-NZE

No team in the bottom 6 is very good, FYI.

Out of interest how did play resume after the red card? If you watch the highlights the ref has already indicated for a throw in so presumably the ball was already out of play. The red card incident then occurs after that so surely, even if the sending off is the correct decision, play should resume with a throw in?

Hope you boys enjoyed that Highland Park ;)

It was a fair swap for a leftover 'Munchee' box! Given the Munchee box was tremendous, this is a compliment.

Still surprised you're actually a good guy in person :P

We were horrendous. Defense looked as exposed and poor as always. No real creativity from us either. Brutal.

Also, i'm confused by:

• Why 4 changes to the team that did so well against Dundee (or 5 changes to the team that played the majority of that match, if you include Boyd), when only 2 were forced?
  • Saunders being moved to CB after all the hard work to get him some form at RB.
  • Toshney coming into the team for such an important game after months of being out of the picture.
  • Burgess not figuring at all given how shit our defence has been, and given the above.
  • Pushing Brittain to RB again, when we have Saunders and Quinn who can both play there, and while our midfield needs Brittain.
  • Quinn's form nose-diving (confidence?)
  • Irvine playing right wing (laughable idea).
  • Trying Carey on the right wing, arguably our best crosser of a ball and left-footed, after it was so obvious Irvine couldn't play there either.
  • Persisting with Cardle on the left wing.
  • We looked better when Boyce came on, and better again when Jervis came on. So why not play our most natural goalscorers earlier against the bottom side in the league, especially when they have 10 men?

I was actually laughing at the defending on the highlights, and at Curran's miss. Pathetic stuff.

Pretty much lost patience now. As far as I'm concerned thats pretty much Jim's team now, and its shite.

One of my more bitter posts, but I'm pretty rough today :(

Still, the train up and down was good craic, 'mon the Pepsi Super Max!

Archived