SUPERBOWL XLIX

lichtie23

From USA Today

What on earth was Seattle thinking with worst play call in NFL history?

Hand the ball to Marshawn Lynch and win the Super Bowl.

12, 11, 12, 13.

Those are Marshawn Lynch’s touchdown totals in his four full seasons in Seattle. The last two years, he’s led the league in rushing TDs. He’s a short-yardage master, Earl Campbell with grillz, John Riggins in gold-plated cleats. Hand him the ball, put six defenders on his back and Marshawn Lynch could still rumble for three yards.

So when Seattle had 2nd-and-goal from the New England one-yard line with 20 seconds left in Super Bowl XLIX, it was obvious the ball was going to Lynch. Everyone knew it. The Seahawks were three feet away from back-to-back Super Bowls and it was pretty much all over but the confetti. With three chances from the one-yard line (and a timeout), there was no way Lynch wouldn’t score and Seattle wouldn’t be celebrating its second-straight Super Bowl, while handing Tom Brady and Bill Belichick their third-straight Super Bowl loss. Lynch wasn’t going to get stuffed three times in a row. It was a virtual impossibility.

But remarkably, amazingly and mind-bogglingly, instead of going to their workhorse, Seattle called a bizarre pick-play in which Russell Wilson, lined up in a shotgun and standing a few feet from Lynch, tried to hit Ricardo Lockette on a quick slant. New England’s Malcolm Butler, a rookie free agent out of West Alabama, stepped in front of Lockette and picked off the ball. Seattle snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and New England had an improbable win that will make fans finally forget about David Tyree.

Twenty minutes later it’s still hard to comprehend. Twenty years later it will still be hard to comprehend. How could Seattle opt for a pass play on the one-yard-line instead of feeding the ball to a guy whose nickname is Beast Mode?

On NBC, Cris Collinsworth was apoplectic.

“I’m sitting here and I absolutely cannot believe that play call. If I lose the Super Bowl because Marshawn Lynch can’t get it in from the one-yard line, so be it. So be it. But there is no way — I just don’t believe the call.”

Rodney Harrison said it was one of the worst coaching decisions he’s seen in his 21 years in the game. Tony Dungy said he was “shocked” when the ball went in the air. These opinions aren’t the easy hindsight ones analysts often make. The decision to pass was so bizarre and awful and crazy that it deserves every bit of criticism it will get from here to eternity.

They say it’s a game of inches. In this case, it was a game of 36 inches and one inane decision that changed the course of NFL history.

One of the worst coaching decisions in football history helps rewrite the NFL record book. Instead of repeating, Seattle is a one-and-done champion, just like the past nine Super Bowl winners. Instead of falling to an impressive, but ultimately disappointing, 3-3 in Super Bowl play, Tom Brady and Bill Belichick get their fourth championships, tying Terry Bradshaw and Chuck Noll. The QB-coach tandem was already going down as one of the all-time greats. The ill-advised pick play and the decision to ignore Marshawn Lynch may help turn Brady and Belichick into the best ever.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe how much I enjoyed that last night. Was expecting to find it pretty good but I absolutely loved that drama at the end. The analysis throughout also pointed out some great things I hadn't noticed. The plays are all pretty clever and the guys are just absolute machines.

When's it all kick aff again? I've decided to 'follow' the 49ers next season. Where's best to keep up to date with news etc. Also what happens now with transfers/new players etc? How's that all work?

PFF_NateJahnke

Marshawn Lynch ran the ball from the 1 yard line 5 times this season. 1 TD, 2 runs for no gain, 2 runs for a loss.

@PFF_NateJahnke

That interception play was the only time all year a team was within 3 yards with 3 WRs, and a defense still used a goal line defense.

‏@PFF_NateJahnke

Before tonight there were 248 plays in 2014 where the offense was within 3 yards and had a 3 WR set. All 248, defense had 4+ DB's.

I can't believe how much I enjoyed that last night. Was expecting to find it pretty good but I absolutely loved that drama at the end. The analysis throughout also pointed out some great things I hadn't noticed. The plays are all pretty clever and the guys are just absolute machines.

When's it all kick aff again? I've decided to 'follow' the 49ers next season. Where's best to keep up to date with news etc. Also what happens now with transfers/new players etc? How's that all work?

September.

Best place to keep up to date would be nfl.com, espn, Rotoworld and the 49ers website.

Free agency kicks off in March while the draft is in May.

What a night that was last night, felt like the quickest football game iv ever seen! Only in the NFL can an entire season come down to one moment at the very end so often!

I thought New England were dominant in the first half then all of a sudden they were going in even and the Seahawks pulled away in the third quarter!

Thought Seattle showed a lack of class at the end and to be honest it wasn't unexpected!

The night was made even more of a roller coaster with my LaFell first TD bet coming in I ly to then lose it on Katy Perry's first done and the Gatorade not being orange!

I'm still astonished, forby a fumble, even a fake & QB sneak would have retained the ball.

Il say it again. Stupidest play call Iv ever seen. They literally gifted Bellicheat and Brady their 4th Super Bowl.

People now saying that Brady is the best of all time. I think not.......Mr Joseph Montana has that crown

Il say it again. Stupidest play call Iv ever seen. They literally gifted Bellicheat and Brady their 4th Super Bowl.

People now saying that Brady is the best of all time. I think not.......Mr Joseph Montana has that crown

I don't think you make that call until someone retires but when you look at how Brady and Bellicheck have owned a division and dominated a conference for a generation and now You have the rings too then there is a compelling case.

Also to say they handed the patriots the game is such bullshit. Pats dominated first half, hawks dominated second. Neither side put the points on to reflect that. Yeah the final play was the wrong call but it's not as if they dropped a catch or fluffed a kick. Pats D still has to make a huge play to read the throw and make the interception.

No doubt an awful last call by Carroll even if reluctant to go with Lynch why take the chance?

The offside and penalties on next play seem to be forgotten about this morning (or am I missing something?)

Force Brady into a safety, receive and one play (time?) to get into field goal range - I know Haushcka wasn't all that but still a slim chance

Still an enjoyable game that flew past

The encroachment on the next play is worse for me. That really is throwing your last chance away.

People talk about 26 seconds left but there was about a minute left when that play started. I think Seahawks were waiting for pats to call the timeout and possibly even let them in next play as in super bowl v giants. Carroll then panicked once they realised it wasn't going to happen and they potentially wanted to get 3 plays off so one has to go with the pass.

Archived