Scrap metal merchants

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to love going to the scrappy to try and find bits for my old VW Polo (huge devil dogs aside).

When I think back to scrabbling about inside an old motor that had another 2 precariously piled on top of it looking for a fucking bit of interior trim to replace a bit from my own motor, I am amzed that I didn't die in a horrible crushing accident

I used to love going to the scrappy to try and find bits for my old VW Polo (huge devil dogs aside).

When I think back to scrabbling about inside an old motor that had another 2 precariously piled on top of it looking for a fucking bit of interior trim to replace a bit from my own motor, I am amzed that I didn't die in a horrible crushing accident

Knew you were talking from experience!

I've nearly lost my ar*e on more than one occasion in similar situations.

Knew you were talking from experience!

I've nearly lost my ar*e on more than one occasion in similar situations.

Until you've haggled an obese, chain smoking scrappy manager down to £2.54 for a thermostat for a 1987 VW, whilst trying to hide an interior panel for the passenger door from him, you've not lived.

In fact that should be part of the driving test. If you lose a limb, that's an automatic fail.

Every scrap metal dealer I have ever met is thoroughly decent, articulate and refined.

I often stop by my local 'scrappie' for a chat about current events and a cup of camomile tea. It's a very civilised way to spend ones time.

Until you've haggled an obese, chain smoking scrappy manager down to £2.54 for a thermostat for a 1987 VW, whilst trying to hide an interior panel for the passenger door from him, you've not lived.

In fact that should be part of the driving test. If you lose a limb, that's an automatic fail.

Go at night.

That way you've only the dug to contend with, and the fence! :rolleyes:

Last time I needed to get a bit at the scrappies I ended up removing the dash instruments from a car belonging to the boy who worked there.

Imagine working in a scrapyard and parking your own car next to the massive pile of cars waiting to get stripped.

Last time I needed to get a bit at the scrappies I ended up removing the dash instruments from a car belonging to the boy who worked there.

Imagine working in a scrapyard and parking your own car next to the massive pile of cars waiting to get stripped.

I heard a similar story about a contractor working at a fire station, you can guess the rest.

Came on this expecting a post about the van that goes about with the megaphone attached to it just shouting "any scrap metal" through it. Is this just down my way or does this guy branch out anywhere else?

I was surprised to see tinker laddies cutting about Bradford on horse drawn carts collecting scrap and rubbish when I was down there last year.

2dum4bq.jpg

Used to be a rag and bone man came our round our street when I were a lad and auld Shep were a pup. He'd give the kids balloons or water pistols. Mentioned this to my wife a few years back and she'd never heard of a rag and bone man before. Same with a "scramble" on someone's wedding day. Bloody middle classes don't have a scooby.

Archived