The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was 40 years ago. Nixon would be a Democrat these days.

Ronald Reagan would never win the GOP nomination today. in Reagan's two terms - he raised taxes, albeit miniscule increases and also signed an amnesty agreement to let in three million undocumented illegal immigrants.

If Reagan ran for the GOP nomination today on that mantra, he would be laughed off and considered a Democrat, similar to what you said about Nixon.

Moving on, I see that Donald Trump is now refusing to conduct media junkets with Fox, as he feels that they have treated him 'unfairly' in their media coverage of him.

Isn't it grand? Fox spent years stoking paranoia and hatred among conservatives, and now they've lost control of the leading candidate. Hell mend them. I hope Roger Ailes is in his study with a tumbler of blue label and a revolver.

Trump appeals to all the crazy loons of the republican vote. However no chance he can win the candicacy. It will be a more moderate candidate. The republicans will ditch him in time.

(See Richard Nixons approach to the nomination process)

Trump has no chance , if he moderated his campaign when he was in the lead he may have had a shot, but hes just ridiculous.

Missing the point that 1) a lot of people don't find him ridiculous and 2) many of those who do are so dissatisfied with the establishment candidates that it's a feature, not a bug.

Trump has no chance , if he moderated his campaign when he was in the lead he may have had a shot, but hes just ridiculous.

Trump is still ahead in the polls, and as Swampy says he's not ridiculous to vast swathes. If he wins the candidacy and they try to dump him, they run a huge risk of auto-losing the next election either by Republican voter protest or by Trump stealing the Republican vote by standing as an independent.

Some of the warmongering bile being spewed by candidates like Fiorina and Rubio is frightening, especially considering it's intended to appeal to the electorate.

Both apparently see the best way to ensure world peace is to sever diplomatic relations with Russia and increase military spending and presence in eastern Europe. Bonkers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3257657/Rubio-pledges-new-sanctions-against-gangster-thug-Putin-lethal-military-assistance-Ukraine-s-elected-president.html

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the warmongering bile being spewed by candidates like Fiorina and Rubio is frightening, especially considering it's intended to appeal to the electorate.

Both apparently see the best way to ensure world peace is to sever diplomatic relations with Russia and increase military spending and presence in eastern Europe. Bonkers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3257657/Rubio-pledges-new-sanctions-against-gangster-thug-Putin-lethal-military-assistance-Ukraine-s-elected-president.html

The only reason the Russian Bear woke up was because of increased NATO presence in Eastern Europe :lol:

I don't agree that the US should get involved with Ukraine but he's right that Obama was too weak on Putin.

Russia shouldn't be involved in Syria at all. They should be told gtfo.

I hope not by Rubio though.

Why not ? Is bombing other countries only the preserve of the West ? Is it because we armed them we have to bomb them ? Thems the rules kind of thing ?

The US arms Al Nusra and Al Quaeda in Syria and drone strikes them in the Himalayas. Fun fun.

I don't agree that the US should get involved with Ukraine but he's right that Obama was too weak on Putin.

I hope not by Rubio though.

Russia are there because the legitimate government* of Syria have asked them to be there. In fact they're the only Nation not called Syria that have been asked.

If it wasn't for those pesky Ruskies then we'd be fighting a IS/ISIS/ISIL with even more made in US weaponary.

*Even if you don't agree with the current regime, they're still the legitimate government

There is a debate on CNN tomorrow with the five currently announced Democratic Party nominee candidates.

If Joe Biden announces his candidancy before the debate tomorrow night(unlikely), he will be able to participate in debate.

I will be interested to see how Hillary Clinton will approach this: her poll numbers are in decline, whilst Bernie Sanders is making up a lot of ground on Clinton in the polls,

One area in which Clinton should look to open direct debate with Sanders is on education and gun control, in my opinion Clinton's prospective policies in these fields are far more progressive than what Bernie Sanders is articulating on these areas of policy.

^^^

The demographics of Sanders constituency makes it suicidal for him to come out in favour of gun control.

Vermont, which is Sanders' constituency is a rural area; so comparing it to having tougher gun control in other American states which include bigger populations etc is not fit for purpose.

This is the bitchiest article I've read about anyone, ever. It's about Carly Fiorona. I assumed when I was reading it was written by a woman, call me a raving sexist, it wasn't.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/09/carly-fiorina-ceo-jeffrey-sonnenfeld-2016-213163

This is the bitchiest article I've read about anyone, ever. It's about Carly Fiorona. I assumed when I was reading it was written by a woman, call me a raving sexist, it wasn't.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/09/carly-fiorina-ceo-jeffrey-sonnenfeld-2016-213163

As far as hit pieces go, that was quite to the point I thought. Didn't get unduly personal, kept the critique based on her professional performance.

Pales in comparison to the onslaught that, for example, Trump has faced. And Clinton is increasingly facing.

"Vote for me because I have a vagina."

On top of the sexist anti-male pillar of her campaign, how condescending to women is this ongoing appeal? What women with an ounce of self-respect is going to fall for that? (an unfortunately large percentage if the polls are to be believed)

Sanders came across the better of the two imo.

Archived