The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

He scored on his debut and then had appeared in every single game up until last weekend, so it seems like there is something odd going on. This is the same club that paid us a fee (somehow) for Oli Shaw and then barely played him. I'm not sure they are a good barometer of anything.

I've never seen him play so have no idea whether he'll be good, bad or otherwise.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

He scored on his debut and then had appeared in every single game up until last weekend, so it seems like there is something odd going on. This is the same club that paid us a fee (somehow) for Oli Shaw and then barely played him. I'm not sure they are a good barometer of anything.

They're a good barometer of what a strong English League One team looks like, and Dallas clearly doesn't make that grade or else he wouldn't have been punted out on loan within six weeks. 

The only remaining question then is whether people genuinely think that the Scottish top flight is equivalent to the Vanarama League in England, which is the only way of explaining the reification of a goalscoring record that is impressive purely at non-league level.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

So why have Barnsley punted him out on loan just six weeks after signing him - at the age of 24? It's clearly not a player development loan - he evidently can't even act as a credible squad/bench option for them at English League One level. Whereas Nicky Cadden - a jobber who turned into a very effective player at Morton - is a starter in the exact same team. That's the level and Andrew Dallas has quite clearly failed to reach it. 

You seem to be significantly more impressed by a goalscoring record achieved in nonsense English non-leagues at the likes of 'Solihull Moors' (Ed: check pub team name) than is reasonable. 

Have you seen Barnsleys scatter gun approach to signings?

Try reading their fans forum, all I can say is they ain't to pleased with more than a few unhappy they've put him out on loan.

What I do know is the guy who scouted him on behalf of the club knows he was a target before he opted for Barnsley.

I'll judge him on the job he does for us while here, not on some highlight reel that can make even Kirk Broadfoot look like prime time Baresi.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

They're a good barometer of what a strong English League One team looks like, and Dallas clearly doesn't make that grade or else he wouldn't have been punted out on loan within six weeks. 

Theyre a shitshow outfit who do no forward planning and just react on instinct. 

Dallas left so they could sign Sam Cosgrove instead, and according to their fans its not the first time theyve signed and punted multiple players within a window because someone else appears later on.

Its been 5 seasons since he played for Morton, and in each of the last 3 hes scored almost 1 in 2 in the National League. Its almost like players can improve as they get older and get more experience, and they dont stay as raw shite kids forever.

In a decade which saw us have some honking centre forwards such as a finished Garry O'Connor, Donovan Simmonds and a parade of other no marks, Dallas was a genuine contender for the worst of the lot.

Being absolutely dreadful when you're 19 and playing in the Championship after your only previous first team experience was in League Two doesn't mean you're not going to be a much better player by the time you're 24, but I'm still surprised he's managed as good a move as Kilmarnock. I'd have thought his record in the England would be enough for a Championship club to be interested, but it's a big gamble for a Premiership club.

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

In a decade which saw us have some honking centre forwards such as a finished Garry O'Connor, Donovan Simmonds and a parade of other no marks, Dallas was a genuine contender for the worst of the lot.

Being absolutely dreadful when you're 19 and playing in the Championship after your only previous first team experience was in League Two doesn't mean you're not going to be a much better player by the time you're 24, but I'm still surprised he's managed as good a move as Kilmarnock. I'd have thought his record in the England would be enough for a Championship club to be interested, but it's a big gamble for a Premiership club.

He was signed on a 3 year contract by Barnsley this summer. He's only on loan at Killie for a season.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kilmarnock's intentions to re-install a grass pitch at Rugby Park have been revealed.

The Ayrshire club last played their home matches on grass in 2014 before implementing an artificial surface. The pitch was updated to a higher spec of astroturf in 2019.

Billy Bowie, the club's majority shareholder, hopes that Killie can revert to a grass pitch by the start of the 2025/26 season, BBC states.

That will come as construction on the club's new training centre, Bowie Park, is scheduled to begin next Spring. It is hoped works will be completed on the site between the town and Crookedholm by the end of 2024.

The facility will be the club's first dedicated training centre, with the first team, academy and women's team all currently training at Rugby Park. 

Bowie Park will become a permanent home for Kilmarnock Women and the club's academy teams. It will have two full-size pitches, a training complex and a 250-seater stand.

The Herald.

• 2 weeks later...

Free night for me so went to see you play the Dons. Not one for the purists but a big 3 points on the road for Killie against a lacklustre Aberdeen side on the night. Sweet finish from Watson to seal it.

Was in the main stand, near the dugout, and got speaking to Sanders at HT and FT. Obviously said I was a Cove fan and that he was different class for us. Was a huge blow when McInnes recalled him and then subsequently stuck him in the reserves. I thought his days were numbered and he'd leave in the summer but got a 1 year extension. 

Got chatting about a few things and he offered me his shirt. He'd be my prime target for a loan in the January window but if he goes anywhere I bet it's to McIntyre's Arbroath sadly.

IMG_20231206_220534.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

23 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Free night for me so went to see you play the Dons. Not one for the purists but a big 3 points on the road for Killie against a lacklustre Aberdeen side on the night. Sweet finish from Watson to seal it.

Was in the main stand, near the dugout, and got speaking to Sanders at HT and FT. Obviously said I was a Cove fan and that he was different class for us. Was a huge blow when McInnes recalled him and then subsequently stuck him in the reserves. I thought his days were numbered and he'd leave in the summer but got a 1 year extension. 

Got chatting about a few things and he offered me his shirt. He'd be my prime target for a loan in the January window but if he goes anywhere I bet it's to McIntyre's Arbroath sadly.

IMG_20231206_220534.jpg

Unfortunately for big Jack I just don’t think it’ll ever work for him here and we are pretty well covered with good centre halves.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure this has been covered on here before, but I’ve noticed that Paper Roses was high in the singles chart 50 years ago this Christmas, 1973 for those arithmetically challenged. Does anyone know when Kilmarnock made it “their” song?

"The Prestwick Pirlo they call him... he's still only 18, right, but he's mixing it against guys nearly twice his age... got him tied down on a contract to 2026, best bit of business in Scottish fitba this season... then Kennedy crosses it to him and his touch, I swear to god, it takes out 4 Aberdeen defenders... he actually starts that move... the finish, Matt O'Riley does that they're still talking about it on Sportscene now... you're thinking that's a one off, yeah, then his goal against St Johnstone... aw tell me you've seen that one, you must have seen that one... goal of the season, spanks it from 30, no maybe 40 yards... he's one of our own, we sing... and the thing is, y'know, he's actually still only 18..."

FB_IMG_1703416243736.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I know the thread is usually pretty quiet these days, and this is yesterday's news... but to try and keep it up to date, I'm pretty pleased with GMS extending his stay until May

On 24/11/2023 at 01:23, TxRover said:

Spotted this while trolling the webs, thought some here might find it interesting:

I watched the first one a few years ago, it was strangely fascinating. As was (I kid you not!) the video on the opening of the charming Foregate centre in 1976. 

22 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I know the thread is usually pretty quiet these days, and this is yesterday's news... but to try and keep it up to date, I'm pretty pleased with GMS extending his stay until May

Me too. GMS did enough in his 10/15 minutes against Dundee to earn a deal. That wee cameo is exactly what he is capable of and that is why he is worth having. Without GMS I’m not sure we unlock the door against Dundee and I’m sure he’ll win us a point or more in at least another game between now and the end of the season.

Over the last 18 months we’ve been extremely lucky that Armstrong has stayed fit……and this is exactly why need another option.

Edited by Sortmeout

On 18/12/2023 at 12:14, kingjoey said:

I’m sure this has been covered on here before, but I’ve noticed that Paper Roses was high in the singles chart 50 years ago this Christmas, 1973 for those arithmetically challenged. Does anyone know when Kilmarnock made it “their” song?

I've read and heard many explanations, but the one I think carries most credence was that it started on a supporters bus around then, with the fans looking for a non confrontational song to sing to opponents at a time blighted by violence on the terraces.