Season Highs and Lows

With the season drawing to a climax and everything more or less sorted, the only real issue being who finishes 4th I thought I'd put it out there for you guys to reminisce about the best and worst moment of the season.

Season High

For me, it was undoubtedly beating United 3-1 at Dens. I'd just handed in my dissertation and it just seemed that everything was coming up Milhouse at the time. Great atmosphere and a great night. It was brilliant when the ball just squirmed through Cierzniak's legs, I was sitting right in line with it in the main stand and couldn't believe it. Then when it was 2-1 and I was getting twitchy we killed the game with Paul Hesselhoff's first goal, and it was plain sailing from then on. Seeing as it had a huge impact on us finishing in the top 6 to cap a brilliant first season back was amazing and definitely a night I'll remember for a good wee while yet.

Special mention to my first ever Scotland game too, vs. Ireland- when Maloney scored there were #scenes of the highest nature so that was braw.

Season Low

That wee period around Christmas & New Year's where we were awful. I saw us get played off the pitch by St. Mirren, when we fell 3-0 down was particularly tragic, and struggle to draw 1-1 with a Ross County side who played about 85 minutes with 10 men...and of course being hungover as dirt on New Year's Day and losing 6-2 to United.. that did not start my new year in the best of ways...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High -

2-0 win away to St Mirren. Not an astounding result in any sense but it signified how good we were when we were on that run of wins. The unorthodox 4-1-4-1 formation with Rooney out wide was terrific and it was great to see us win with such ease. Ace away day too!

Low -

4-0 loss to Celtic. We were great in the first half and to see us lose so badly while playing at our best just highlighted the gap in quality. Very depressing.

High

Celtic 0-1 Accies. Historic moment and one we probably won't see again.

Low

January departures. Seeing our best ever manager leave after such an incredible first half of the season was horrible. Him then taking the league's top scorer and the best Accies player I've ever seen only to not even sit on the bench was the sucker-punch. Love him or loathe him, Curier was key to our season and losing him was a huge loss.

High

The performance at Dundee gave me a wee bit of hope that we could survive. Mallandonna's goal was jaw droppingly good at the time, even better on Tv.

The introduction of Stevie Mallan and Jack Baird to the team has been refreshing, the next batch to come from the academy look like they'll come good.

Low(s)

Where to begin, well as soon as TC was appointed the majority of football fans knew it was a disaster. A couple of good performances at the start of the season led us into a false sense of security that TC could have possibly been the right man.

Lack of goals, throwing them in at the other end, a handful of home wins the list goes on . Just a horrible season that could have been prevented.

The lowest point was losing Kenny McLean though, that sealed our fate. Replacing him with a couple of kids and Alan Gow not only deflated us but Motherwell and County smelt blood and in the end slaughtered us.

Another season with enough highs to outweigh the lows, starting right back in July with the trip to the beautiful city of Lucerne. Wonderful place, wonderful atmosphere at the game and a goal and a decent result to cheer. Tense home leg followed by another high in winning the penalties, making up for the heartache of the previous year.

We started the league campaign well but after losing MacLean and Scobbie to injury in the same week looked to be heading in the wrong direction. The 0-0 draw at Firhill in October certainly won't rank amongst the highs of the campaign but it was one of the most important results as it stopped the rot and we didn't lose again in the league in 2014.

There hasn't been a plethora of domestic highs but seeing Saints win at Celtic Park again is an obvious one and the performances since the split have been pleasing. The right result on Sunday would obviously cap it off, then we'll all be Inverness fans for an afternoon on the last day of May.

On the park lows in terms of specific games probably centre around the cup competitions. It was a tame surrender of the Scottish Cup at Palmerston and unfortunately we faced Rangers at our lowest point when we were struggling in the league. Any other month and I think we put up a much better fight. Spartak Trnava were a better side than FC Minsk but were beatable in Europe. One bad half of football across four matches cost us.

More generally there has been a lack of goals and at times entertainment but equally disappointing was the failure to capitalise on the Scottish Cup win in the weeks immediately after. The club have claimed an extra 500 season tickets but the nagging feeling is it could have been more. The manager wasn't allowed to make a permanent signing until the end of August either; some reward for his success.

The biggest high for me was probably the 2-0 home win against Motherwell. The 'Well were coming into it in great form and a loss would've really dragged us into the relegation play-off dogfight. We'd been doing well before this match too but I was nervy going into it - felt like we needed to win, and we did. We played great too.

Biggest low is the Scottish Cup exit to Inverness CT. We'd had them on toast in the league, and had just signed Lyle Taylor. Instead of playing him, or Doolan, Archie started Stevenson up top to the dismay of the whole support. It had worked away to Inverness CT but not really on any other occasion and wasn't worth risking considering we knew Taylor was a talent and should have started. The fact that Inverness CT then drew Raith Rovers in the quarters made me feel that we wasted an incredible chance to get to the semis. But fair play to Inverness for beating Celtic - we'd have probably shat it.

Highs

The Alex Neil period (Winning at Celtic Park for the 1st time in 70 odd years and the 4 & 5 nil routs against Motherwell)

Lows

The Martin Canning period (Getting thumped 5-0 at Partick and handing St Mirren their 1st league win at home in February)

Biggest low is the Scottish Cup exit to Inverness CT. We'd had them on toast in the league, and had just signed Lyle Taylor. Instead of playing him, or Doolan, Archie started Stevenson up top to the dismay of the whole support. It had worked away to Inverness CT but not really on any other occasion and wasn't worth risking considering we knew Taylor was a talent and should have started. The fact that Inverness CT then drew Raith Rovers in the quarters made me feel that we wasted an incredible chance to get to the semis. But fair play to Inverness for beating Celtic - we'd have probably shat it.

I was thinking the 3-1 home defeat to County, but good shout on that one as well.

In terms of individual performance, that County game has to be the lowest, though. The goal where Elliott, Higginbotham and (I think) Bannigan just let Fraser stroll past them was horrific.

High

Yesterday, probably. Which says a lot.

Low

Kilmarnock 0-3 Ross County or St Mirren 4-1 Kilmarnock :(

To add to the highs I'd say the two games against Dundee United at RP, winning the Friday night one in particular was great. But then our season totally shat the bed. Very glad to see the back of this season, could do without the worry for a good few months.

High

Groningen trip, particularly the 12 or so hours prior to kick off sitting in the square with some right rum Dandies.

Low

I don't take football seriously enough to let it get me down, you sad losers. 8)

high: david raven's goal at hampden. astounding moment.

low: shiting it at ibrox against rangers in the league cup. a horrible game to lose, and being greeted by a sea of "better together" banners in the home end during referendum week certainly didn't help.

High - The 3-2 home win against Motherwell on February 14th. I think we had won twice all season before that game and looked certain to finish bottom. We then went unbeaten for more than 2 months to complete the great escape.

Low - The 1-2 home loss to 10 man St Mirren on January 17th. Despite the best efforts of agent Arquin, we still managed to f**k things up spectacularly. The 1-2 home defeat to St Mirren last Saturday was also a bit of a minter.

High - I'd say beating United but the absolute minter of folk invading after going 1 up after 12 minutes kind of fucking ruined it tbh. So I'm going to go for the walkover of Motherwell at Dens. First half we were fantastic, which led to their boy losing his temper and lashing out at SaftFeet10 and getting himself sent off. Plus the snah made it a great day out and just everyone around seemed to be in a good mood.

Low point - easy. Getting beaten at home so easily by St. Mirren. The Mallan goal was special, but the rest of that game was more painful than coming off a speeding motorbike onto blaize at 80mph. Utterly horrific viewing.

A couple of folk invading the pitch ruined our first Derby win in 10 years for you? :S I couldn't care less who was on the pitch, Dens was absolutely bouncing that night and pumping the DABs under the floodlights was undoubtably the best match this season.

High: Full time at the Accies game next week to end it.

Low: Appointing a proven managerial failure in Tommy Craig. Taking far too long to bag him. Our Chairman breaking an almost un-interrupted season of silence to announce we need a wheeler-dealer manager... Then bumping up Gary Teale. Signing useless chunts Arquin and Gow. Playing a useless chunt like Wylde. The kit...Jesus Christ, the kit. Goodwin and Thompson's noses being out of joint for either being demoted back to the playing ranks, or never promoted from the playing ranks. The spineless, gutless 5-0 capitulation to Motherwell. The spineless, gutless 3-0 capitulation to Ross County. Selling Kenny McLean on the last day of the transfer window. Stephen Thompson spearing John McGinn through the thigh in a 'training ground prank gone wrong'. Repeated rumour and counter-rumour about an English consortium being lead up the garden path by our BoD in their attempts to buy the club. The cup exits. Gary Teale asking for 'clarity', followed by the Chairman saying we are open to managerial applications, and hopes Gary Teale will send in an application - clear as fcuking mud. Gary Teale saying he doesn't need to apply, the BoD should know what they've already got. Relegation... Nearly forgot about that! Bottom too - didnae' even make the new-fangled playoffs. Loanees like the kid Snoopy fae' Spurs coming up, and being thrown on when we are already 2-0 or 3-0 down. Callum fcuking Ball. Silence from the entire BoD about our plight, not even a call (or a ticket price reduction) to rally support for what were still vital post-split games, until SMiSA, the supporters association called them out on it, and after being prodded by a big fcuking sharp stick by SMiSA, they put out a one-paragraph 'gonnae' turn out at Motherwell please' statement on the club website. The chairman calling fans 'keyboard warriors and knickerwetters' at the AGM.

Hmm. Did I miss anything?

Archived