Rangers Transfer Thread - 2015/16

'It cost Rangers £450,000 and Record Sport understands this was the same package offered to the Perth side a fortnight ago when the Ibrox club made it clear signing O’Halloran was a priority'

Same offer that was on the table a few weeks ago, Saints were just hoping they could increase the price, it never happened, getting pumped out of the cup meant they had no choice but to accept.

It seems to be more a case of the players utterly half arsed performances and "injuries" over the past month that encouraged the sale. More than the cup defeat.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do Rangers sign central midfielders or central defenders these days?

I thought these are the areas where Rangers are weakest.

Snaffy, this is, of course, a good point and one that's vexed me before. I've posted previously about us not having a 'blood and snotters' defender to 'put a bit of stick about' as that's been a characteristic of every Rangers team I've supported.

Mark Warburton's view is that if you have the ball 60+% of the time then the need for defenders is minimised and that the best place to defend is in the opposition's half. You'll see this in games when we have 2 players pressing the opposition if they try and play the ball from the back.

Another side to his view is that hoofing the ball up the park (from GK or defender) often results in the ball being given away and he's absolutely bang on with this.

So Warburton is trying to play football differently to how I'm used to watching Rangers. So far he's on the money and dinosaurs like me will have to adapt.

Edited to add. We'll get caught out. The St J game was the prime example, but so far it's working well.

You need a defensive midfielder guarding that central midfielder just in front of the D

Someone that can win the ball back and snuff out any opposition forward movement in that area changing defence into attack and not afraid of taking a yellow card for the team if needs be. A good passer of the ball with vision to pick out runs and deliver a pass long range and as well as a calm head in tight areas that can short pass one two out of trouble and can help the defence out and mark opposition players

You've just described Paul Paton

That central midfield is powderpuff and that central defence is too slow to deal with counter attack when you push up and you push up a lot plus very poor at bossing the opposition attackers in your own box even at this level.

In the Championship Warburton can paper over the cracks and flatter to deceive but the reality is this Rangers team is miles behind that Hearts team that strolled to winning the league last season and now a season behind them in developing a squad of players that can be a serious threat to taking a European slot next season.

Unless its acceptable at the club or with the support to take defeats against Dundee or Partick Thistle and mix with the pack trying to keep out of the relegation or play off places?

80% of the players you have now will make up that squad that takes on the Premiership next season if you go up.

Unless Warburton is thinking of a complete overhaul in those positions in the summer you will get over run in the central midfield and your attacking midfielders will get isolated therefore snuffing out your main attacking threat.

Plus I don't think there is enough strength in depth in that Rangers squad.

Warburton has got to be thinking about next season now so has Dave King and the rest of the board in terms of allowing the manager some freedom to build a squad of players that are Rangers players not loanees that belong to someone else

Watched some of the game at Pitrodrie tonight in the bar, the top two in Scotland eh!!? F*ckin brutal in parts, if promoted even with our current squad there's no way we'll be mixing it in the relegation places if that's the best on offer!

Plus, surely teams won't put 10 men behind the ball against a raw newly promoted side, they'll want to come out and play us eh!?

As for loan players, both Davis and Weiss were pretty good additions on short term deals.

So it won't be acceptable if Rangers are mixing it with the pack just trying to stay out of the relegation or play off place??

It has to be top 6 and fighting for a Euro spot

That's what I thought

Edit- Some teams will be cautious against you and you won't like it. Those two players were from a different era and circumstances were different.

I like the fact that Dogmeat and Tedi agree with him.

As the league stands Ross County in 4th are only 9 points ahead of the play off place.

So it won't be acceptable if Rangers are mixing it with the pack just trying to stay out of the relegation or play off place??

It has to be top 6 and fighting for a Euro spot

That's what I thought

Edit- Some teams will be cautious against you and you won't like it. Those two players were from a different era and circumstances were different.

I don't think any of us are expecting a trailblazing first season in the top tier should we go up, but accepting that we'll spend a season in a relegation dogfight is just as wide of the mark. We'll be OK.

Mid table mediocrity?

I can't see that sitting comfortably with the less realistic supporters and the Rangers supporting media especially if they will always focus on Celtic as their bench mark and all the other teams should be below them.

Being in the top league for some of these people will bring out the worst in them as they will want to get one over on Celtic and those pesky diddies that turfed the club out of the SPL.

they will, mark my words and sensible realistic supporters like yourself are going to get stressed out both at the stupidity of it all and the other teams supporters reactions to that.

There will be real pressure on Warburton from some circles if he doesn't deliver immediately.

You're going to need a Hamilton Accies season 2014/15 start to the season to avoid all that.

Agree with most of that, but away with work, sitting in a hotel bar last night I was looking forward to seeing what the higher level had to offer. On that performance if that's the standard we aspire to, I might be better off watching the Rugby next season. Soon drifted off to browsing SSN on my iPad, great opener from the Dons but some of the play in the middle of the park was awful.

Just to add, the number of dire performances and poor results we have endured over the past 3 and a half years have softened our expectations somewhat, most of our fans will tell you that.

Still think we'll be an exciting addition to the SPL next year should we go up though, am I looking forward to the shite thrown at us and the hysteria from other fans ? No, not at all.

Agree with most of that, but away with work, sitting in a hotel bar last night I was looking forward to seeing what the higher level had to offer. On that performance if that's the standard we aspire to, I might be better off watching the Rugby next season. Soon drifted off to browsing SSN on my iPad, great opener from the Dons but some of the play in the middle of the park was awful.

Just to add, the number of dire performances and poor results we have endured over the past 3 and a half years have softened our expectations somewhat, most of our fans will tell you that.

Still think we'll be an exciting addition to the SPL next year should we go up though, am I looking forward to the shite thrown at us and the hysteria from other fans ? No, not at all.

Why don't you go and watch the rugby then? They need the money, Deadco don't as there are lots of cannon fodder who throw away their cash at the sight of a Union flag.

This for me, Rangers will have the 2nd biggest budget in Scotland so anything less than 2nd place each year would have to be seen as a failure, they will be forgiven a finish slightly below that in the first season back but after that anything less will be seen as a failure by those funding the club which of course includes the fans.

I see your journey has changed your perspective.

Exactly, Rangers will not need to spend a fortune to challenge Celtic when we get back to the SPL

hearts are third, we have more points than they did at this point last season and will have more money to spend on players in the summer than they did last season, in addition to this the standard has drastically fallen since we were last in the top league at the very least we will be comfortably third, this idea that we are going to struggle is nonsensical

Hearts had 57 points and a +44 goal difference at this point last season, we have 59 points and have a +49 goal difference. We have played a game more than they had at this point however its clear to see we're both equal and that just because the teams below us aren't as absolutely shite as we and Hibs were for parts of last season doesn't mean we aren't the same or better.

I'll predict we come third next season in the Premiership right now... maybe even second if Celtic keep Deila.

This is the Hearts team that finished 24 points ahead and strengthened during the summer.

If you finish 4th next season with the same players you have now you and little change to the squad will be doing very well

So we're a worse team that Hearts were last season because Hibs/Falkirk aren't as awful as we/Hibs were last season?

This is the Hearts team that finished 24 points ahead and strengthened during the summer.

If you finish 4th next season with the same players you have now you and little change to the squad will be doing very well

The finished 24 points ahead of a terrible Rangers and rebuilding hibs team , hearts were great last season but we have similar points totals to hearts last season so had hearts been playing this Rangers and hibs squad I imiagine it would have been a much tighter affair , not that it matters anyhow

Wee snaffykins likes his fishing lol

Not watched enough top flight fitba to say either way tbh.

We lost to St Johnston in a cup game while hibs have taken several top flight scalps this season.

Id like to see us competing with the sheep, them and hearts if we get promoted.

Archived