The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

19 minutes ago, sigton said:

McManus not included in Fleetwood squad to tour Holland. Pressley states he hope Declan gets hooked up soon which will probably be in Scotland with Dunfermline, Ayr and Morton intersested. In todays Blackpool Gazette. Couldnt copy link somehow on this phone

Here

Cooool maaman. Cheers. Heading to Bpool for a few days end July start Aug will be hoping to take in a pre-season friendly or two to watch either Fleetwood Bpool ot even AFC Fylde..No McManus by then ....

Our catenaccio-esque defending/Duffy's innate ability to shitfest matches should see us okay in most games, even when we'd be hopelessly inferior on paper as it stands. It's the only thing standing between the squad and a 2013/14 joke campaign (Kabba Modou Cham and Tony Wallace look world-beaters in comparison to McDonagh and the ringer winger so far); it's a very important trait to have though. Last season we scored a frankly pathetic 39 league goals but easily consolidated our league status.

I expected nothing less than an attempt to build on last year's efforts though, so even if we do shitfest our way out of harm's way serious questions should still be asked of what we have been trying to achieve this summer.  

Edited by vikingTON

Declan McManus signs for Raith on loan for the season.

Didn't seem to have a great time of it last season? What kind of striker is he? Tricky, fast, slow? Aware he scored twice against us at Stark's last season but I'd be lying if I said I remembered anything about either goal, or indeed McManus himself.

8 minutes ago, Paco said:

Declan McManus signs for Raith on loan for the season.

Didn't seem to have a great time of it last season? What kind of striker is he? Tricky, fast, slow? Aware he scored twice against us at Stark's last season but I'd be lying if I said I remembered anything about either goal, or indeed McManus himself.

He was played a bit deeper last season.  If played as an out and out striker he will get goals.  Very fast.

FFS Morton.  What sort of dross are we going to sign now?

Just now, Rovers1992/1993 said:

:lol: He's that good?

Not THAT good, but we've not signed anyone and lack serious depth going forward. McManus would've been a welcome boost - but I think we'd have been in real trouble if we'd signed him anyway; we're still multiple signings away from a complete squad.

I understand the desire to fall back to the 'He was pish anyway' line after our failure to sign McManus, but it's really not true.

Coming in mid-season having not been playing for his parent club and being asked to perform in an unfamiliar role, he scored 5 goals in 14 games. That's not a bad return for someone who was being played in a deep role as a second striker supporting another centre forward rather than being the focal point of the attack. He was previously used as the main striker playing on the shoulder of defenders, that's what he was used to and he'd never been asked to play as he was last season before yet did a decent job. He's a good Championship player now and at only 21 has the potential to become a better one.

The chances of us bringing in two better centre forwards than him are slim to none.

It's just struck me why you guys are slightly worried, I forgot that Johnson, Samuel (who didn't play much, granted) and McManus were only on loan. That's 21 of the 39 league goals you scored last season gone, and combined with the loss of Gasparotto (who imo was one of the best defenders in the division) gives Jim Duffy a fairly massive rebuilding job.

Still, we have about 10 players capable of playing at this level, so it could be worse :(