The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

10 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

It's just struck me why you guys are slightly worried, I forgot that Johnson, Samuel (who didn't play much, granted) and McManus were only on loan. That's 21 of the 39 league goals you scored last season gone, and combined with the loss of Gasparotto (who imo was one of the best defenders in the division) gives Jim Duffy a fairly massive rebuilding job.

Still, we have about 10 players capable of playing at this level, so it could be worse :(

Yeah, people are reluctant to panic because we panicked last year then Duffy made us all look immensely stupid, with signings made in August playing a key part in that. This year though, successful loan signings alone won't be enough - we're too short for loan signings to cover it. We're weaker in every area of the park with Gasparotto gone from the defence, no wide midfielders other than McAleer who is this year's Jordan Allan/Romario Sabajo (though Oliver may end up playing there), we've bugger all up front and for the third year running we have no holding midfielder.

Realistically we still need a minimum of a centre back, two wide midfielders and two centre forwards, and we need all of them to be successes. I'd say a holding midfielder too but Duffy doesn't believe in them so there's no point even speculating. Even if you write off the League Cup, accepting a humping from Killie this weekend due to the squad being miles from ready and hope we can get through despite it, we're only two weeks from the start of the league season. Without the bulk of those signings in the next two weeks, St Mirren will take us apart.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, people are reluctant to panic because we panicked last year then Duffy made us all look immensely stupid, with signings made in August playing a key part in that. This year though, successful loan signings alone won't be enough - we're too short for loan signings to cover it. We're weaker in every area of the park with Gasparotto gone from the defence, no wide midfielders other than McAleer who is this year's Jordan Allan/Romario Sabajo (though Oliver may end up playing there), we've bugger all up front and for the third year running we have no holding midfielder.

Oliver is better playing from a wide right position than up front IMO.

Unless Duffy can pull some guys from the lower English leagues on loan when the madness stops down there we are doomed, it's more or less his last hope as it looks like there is hee haw left in Scotland. I'm very worried about the squad we have, we are at least 4 players short from our starting 11 at this stage, it's ridiculous.

Stupid Morton :( 

The bean counters have effectively taken over the budget for players in an effort to move the club to " self sustainability

No one is saying we shouldn't be doing something about the loss the club makes each season, but cut too much and you lower the quality of the squad and that makes relegation more than an outside possibility.

Fans already feel aggrieved at the lack of signings, and if we bring in poor quality players many will prefer staying at home. 

If the bean counters miscalculate then Dougie will throw money at the squad in January and we could still go down, making a mockery of effort to be a self sustaining club.

I suppose we have to wait and see when the final squad of players is assembled to find out where we are compared to other squads in this division.

I have real concerns I have to admit....     

The bean counters have effectively taken over the budget for players in an effort to move the club to " self sustainability

No one is saying we shouldn't be doing something about the loss the club makes each season, but cut too much and you lower the quality of the squad and that makes relegation more than an outside possibility.

Fans already feel aggrieved at the lack of signings, and if we bring in poor quality players many will prefer staying at home. 

If the bean counters miscalculate then Dougie will throw money at the squad in January and we could still go down, making a mockery of effort to be a self sustaining club.

I suppose we have to wait and see when the final squad of players is assembled to find out where we are compared to other squads in this division.

I have real concerns I have to admit....     

Evidence to support the basic premise of this post please.

7 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Evidence to support the basic premise of this post please.

The Chairman has never elaborated since he released his ambiguous statement at the end of last season about a plan being agreed and put in place for next season. I'm sure there was a mention about self sustainability when he released that statement or perhaps it was in another match day programme.

Quote from Finance Director " All of this is aimed at moving the club towards self sustainability and, of course, a key plank of this is to have a firm grip on finances and financial reporting to better inform decision about strategy."

Not sure what context this quote relates to but there is a mention of self sustainability.

Then Duffy is talking about bringing in 2 or perhaps 3 players. I don't know how many players we released off hand, but replacing them with 2 or 3 players isn't being done because we have a great squad that only needs a top up of another couple of players!   

To me this new season already stinks of "Uch we have an ok squad there, lets add 1 or 2 more in when we can, it's OK, Dumbarton, QOS and Ayr are just as bad" It almost feels like the exact same thing is happening that saw us relegated a few seasons ago. We are taking a very big gamble here with our signing policy, we had some targets which we failed in, now we are praying to the gods that we find decent players on loan in Aug from down south.

You'd think with the increase of income from last season (I'm assuming that's the case) we could have at least brought in 1 or 2 credible signings, no, we sign some guy who can't get a game in the seaside leagues and a guy from the juniors.

Terrible times! Kinda wish we just signed that big Nade now while we had the chance :( 

1 minute ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Good to see that it's not going to be a straight 2 horse race between us and Dumbarton for 9th and 10th with both Morton and QOS looking particularly weak. Looking forward to the battle.

A southwest/west (plus that north team) battle for the bottom two - this sounds familiar.

Good to see that it's not going to be a straight 2 horse race between us and Dumbarton for 9th and 10th with both Morton and QOS looking particularly weak. Looking forward to the battle.

Back in your fucking box champ.

1469314813414.jpg.cc527b378c3ee1e4412e8b

Wonder if we'll see any trialists involved on Tuesday night? 

The wohglemuth (sp) rumours seem to have died down and the other players we had in have moved on. Been very quiet on that front since then.

Can't play trialists in the league cup, unfortunately.

Edit to add - just ignore me, just seen you don't play in the league cup on Tuesday so must be a friendly your talking about :lol: