The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Jamie Lindsay will be an excellent signing, but for the love of God don't play him on the wing!

The best way I could describe him is that he brings energy to the midfield. He's always moving with or without the ball, looking for a pass or getting prepared to snuff out some danger. We picked up an average of almost 1 extra point a game with him in the team - he was out for most of the 1st half of the season - and I think that more than speaks for itself.

He's the sort of player you don't notice how good he is until he is suspended or injured, he doesn't do anything spectacular, but he keeps play ticking over and (certainly in our case) became one of our most crucial players.

Stevie Aitken seemed intent on playing him on the wing to accommodate far less talented players in the middle. It was utter madness and none of us could quite believe it as going forward he is pretty rank most of the time! Last season he didn't score and only got 2 assists, so don't expect him spraying 30 yard balls onto the feet of strikers. He also can't cross a ball. Like, at all...which makes him playing on the wing and even odder thing.

Him alongside Tidser will be a very strong midfield, assuming both are fully fit.

In case anyone is in the slightest interested, here's what I wrote for his end of season report card in the Lennox:

Jamie Lindsay - 9

28 Appearances
0 Goals
2 Assists

The statistics speak for themselves, Dumbarton were a much better team when the on-loan Celtic midfielder played. Lindsay brought a real energy and drive to the midfield that was otherwise badly bereft of it. His Young Player of the Year crown was never in doubt, and if he could add more of a cutting edge to his game going forward he could be a real star of the future.

Magic Moment: A Man of the Match display in the Scottish Cup demolition of Alloa which cemented his place in the starting eleven following an injury plagued beginning to the season.

I'm away for a wee cry as I'd convinced myself - perhaps like yourselves and McManus - that we'd have him back this season, and even if we didn't I certainly didn't see him going to another Championship club (outwith the big 2) :bairn

14 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Jamie Lindsay will be an excellent signing, but for the love of God don't play him on the wing!

This is literally the first thing that will have crossed Duffy's mind. Loves playing a central midfielder on the left. 

4 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Looks like complementing Tidser very well in the centre of midfield. Another cruise for The Famous, even without Lee Bonucci playing.

I thought he would work well with him. Both are quality ball players, and with another addition upfront I can see you lot doing pretty well this year.

Has anyone got any pictures of his wee smile when he scored? That was his most endearing attribute when he was with us imqho

8 hours ago, Deefiant said:

Is Quitongo good enough to be Hartleys next success story?

Too early to tell imo. He's only recently broke into the first team and is showing up well. He's certainly got the ability on the ball and imagine Duffy will be concentrating on his workrate. The potential is there but it will be interesting to see how he does over the course of a season and when he or the team isn't playing well.

In saying that if you guys get 1.5m for Stewart feel free to chuck a bid of around 500k in. I'm sure it'll be considered :)

12 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Too early to tell imo. He's only recently broke into the first team and is showing up well. He's certainly got the ability on the ball and imagine Duffy will be concentrating on his workrate. The potential is there but it will be interesting to see how he does over the course of a season and when he or the team isn't playing well.

In saying that if you guys get 1.5m for Stewart feel free to chuck a bid of around 500k in. I'm sure it'll be considered :)

If he's anything like his old man, he'll delight and frustrate in equal measure. 

I loved Jose, he was a massive character in Scottish football and was one of those guys that fans found it impossible to hate. 

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If he's anything like his old man, he'll delight and frustrate in equal measure. 

I loved Jose, he was a massive character in Scottish football and was one of those guys that fans found it impossible to hate. 

We did, after he played a friendly for us at Love St with the intention of signing for us - and then signed for you instead.

He was given the treatment at every touch after that, even when at Alloa and playing crap. He once lined up for Accies and got the "If you hate Jose Quitongo clap your hands" - only for teammate Brian McPhee to join in with the clapping.

35 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

We did, after he played a friendly for us at Love St with the intention of signing for us - and then signed for you instead.

He was given the treatment at every touch after that, even when at Alloa and playing crap. He once lined up for Accies and got the "If you hate Jose Quitongo clap your hands" - only for teammate Brian McPhee to join in with the clapping.

Yeah I recall. Don't think he played for us against you though. That was certainly sweet to nick someone from under the nose of a rival. 

51 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

You guys got your revenge (of sorts) with that centre half, though whose name I have forgotten. I want to say Dom somebody. Fucking hell, creeping senility. I think he turned out shite, but plenty fans were pissed off he signed for you. 

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

You guys got your revenge (of sorts) with that centre half, though whose name I have forgotten. I want to say Dom somebody. Fucking hell, creeping senility. I think he turned out shite, but plenty fans were pissed off he signed for you. 

Shimmin?

did Paul Fenwick not do something similar?

I remember him sitting on the Raith bench (on loan IIRC) when we sealed our promotion to the SPL under Hendrie and thinking, get it roon ye.

Edited by FTOF

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not sure if it's him, but anyway you've reminded me Dominic Shimmin existed. All hail the Shimminator

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Dominic Shimmin.

An excellent player who suffered (frequently and at length) from can't-be-bothered-itis. Miraculously recovered in time for a televised cup game at home to Celtic.